Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6391 posts
1891 upvotes
Mississauga
Steven Lebron said it best:
my thoughts on the norm extension is that tim hardaway jr. will make $17.3M next season
Raptors are well into the Luxury Tax next season.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3855 posts
1349 upvotes
Global Village
geokilla wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 5:46 pm
I thought because he's a second rounder, this is the max he can get?
It's the maximum the Raps could pay him as part of an extension before his contract runs out next summer. If he had not agreed to extend teams could give him way more than 10.5 mill per year next summer, raps would have the option to match but being in luxury tax territory would have made matching a higher offer hurt. Unless they trade JV to ease the 2018 luxury tax pain, that could happen anyway this season, JV is playing well offensively early and there is bound to be an attractive offer for him before the deadline if he stays healthy.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3855 posts
1349 upvotes
Global Village
That nothing but net Bebe 3 tonight stunned me a bit, his shot from 3 looked surprisingly swishy. If he can start hitting that he's going to get a lot more mins.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15801 posts
685 upvotes
Stouffville
^ calm down.. the guy hit 1 3pointer lol...personally i dont think the raptors need to do all this 3 point shot stuff... if they started CJ (but it looks like they are not)... they would have had 3 guys who hit around 40% of their 3pointers last year (lowry, ibaka, miles)... do you really need more than 3 of your starters to shoot 3s? i think it would have worked perfectly with those 3 guys shooting 3s...derozan doing his mid range thing..and JV dominating down low..its guys like Powell, Wright, Van Vleet that need to be able to hit the 3s on the 2nd unit... i really like JV...maybe too much...but the guy has never been given a chance to show how great he can be offensively, and his defense is far more passable, than say Bargs back in the day...JV can decently cover most big men good enough... and if he cant, that means they cant really cover him down low on the other end... so start feeding him! this guy should be playing 34mpg and averaging 18 and 11 easily.. but he will never get that as the 4th or 5th option...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15801 posts
685 upvotes
Stouffville
kenchau wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 8:04 pm
Steven Lebron said it best:

Raptors are well into the Luxury Tax next season.
i know Steven Lebron...good guy..knows his stuff...

Yes, the Tim Hardaway Jr. contract was massive and an overpayment....but the guy did average 14.5ppg on a half decent 3pt% of 36% and 46% FG in 27mpg..3 of his 4 nba seasons were at least 10ppg...

How about we look at career 36mpg stats for the two guys:

THJ - 17ppg, 3.5rpg, 2.5 apg, 43%FG, 35% 3pt, 80% FT
Norm - 15.6ppg, 4.5rpg, 2.5apg, 44%FG, 35% 3pt, 80% FT

stats are pretty damn similar... so in the end, its 7 mill cheaper for Norm, which is definitely good...

but that extra money for THJ is because he had a decent enough season last year, and has proven he can consistently hit 36% from 3pt and also can score...

personally i think we did VERY good getting CJ Miles for the next 2 seasons for like $8mill a season...guy is only 30 but has a lot of mileage / experience... averaged 12ppg and 37% 3pt over the past 3 years in Indy with very solid D... really great deal IMO..
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3855 posts
1349 upvotes
Global Village
Richard Jefferson would be an interesting pickup for us once the Hawks waive him, a move for added wing experience in the playoffs more than anything. And familiarity with the enemy.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3855 posts
1349 upvotes
Global Village
grappos13 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 2:20 am
^ calm down.. the guy hit 1 3pointer lol...
He tried 1 more against the Bulls and sunk that 1 too, there is a surprising confidence and fluidity to his 3 shot now.

Watching OG sink consecutive 3s in the 2nd half is a great sign as well, he's going to demand mins also.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5254 posts
1070 upvotes
Richmond Hill
scoper wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:33 pm
That nothing but net Bebe 3 tonight stunned me a bit, his shot from 3 looked surprisingly swishy. If he can start hitting that he's going to get a lot more mins.
i like Bebe too. He does alot of things JV couldn't. He's fast and his long lanky arms is a huge asset. On many nights, i think he will be the x-factor. He's also more fluid and athletic than JV, imo
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2005 posts
1292 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:58 am
i like Bebe too. He does alot of things JV couldn't. He's fast and his long lanky arms is a huge asset. On many nights, i think he will be the x-factor. He's also more fluid and athletic than JV, imo
just wait until maximdude comes and bash you for comparing Bebe with JV
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15801 posts
685 upvotes
Stouffville
the problem with JV is that he is on a team where he is like the 4th option at best... if he were on a team where he was the second option, he would easily put up 20 and 12.. and play average D against guys similarly sized as him.. and he can just let that guy shoot 3s from the outside, because he will own them down low and average 60% from 2pt, whereas that big man shooting the 3s will only average 35% from 3...

but, as the issue with Raptors/Casey/ make up of the team, Casey will never trust JV ever to play in the 4th quarter, and will only run a few players for him in the 1st quarter of games and thats it..as much as the game has changed, you can still have ONE big man on your team that strictly plays down low that can score at a high rate and rebound at a high rate.. which is exactly what JV does..
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3829 posts
1603 upvotes
Toronto
Boston's splashy free agent signing, Gordon Hayward, suffered a possible season-ending injury barely 5 minutes into the season opener. Definitely helps improve the Raptors' chances of knocking off the Celtics for the Division crown.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3829 posts
1603 upvotes
Toronto
From the article linked above: "Mirotic, 26, averaged 10.6 points and 5.5 rebounds per game last season, and was expected to start for Chicago this season...Portis, 22, averaged 6.8 points and 4.6 rebounds last season, and was battling Mirotic for the team's starting power forward spot."

Will be interesting to see if they give Portis that starting spot now.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)