Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6906 posts
2151 upvotes
Mississauga
Kevin Durant (not to be confused with kevindurant1) when asked which rookies have caught his attention so far this year:
I like OG Anunoby from Toronto, he plays hard, he can shoot it, he rebounds well, he's going to be very good in the future
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4108 posts
1497 upvotes
Global Village
geokilla wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 1:11 pm

This is why we don't play JV.
It shows a total lack of awareness of the scouting report on Beal. JV looks decent defensively vs more conventional bigs near the basket but ask him to guard in the perimeter and all bets are off.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13126 posts
2552 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
scoper wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 5:01 pm
It shows a total lack of awareness of the scouting report on Beal. JV looks decent defensively vs more conventional bigs near the basket but ask him to guard in the perimeter and all bets are off.
If you go through his following tweets, you'll see how our other players defend the high pick and roll. This is more on JV just being a defensive liability more than anything else.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4108 posts
1497 upvotes
Global Village
jesguerra wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:47 am
Most def a different game with Wall in the mix, but still a solid win. Guys hitting shots, ball was moving, and guys playing their roles. I still don't know who gave Siakam the green light on 3s though lol
He's still a work in progress offensively but Pascal looks really improved this year. Looking back at that 2016 draft I think he should have gone much higher that he did, I think he can now officially be called the steal of that draft.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/23/ ... ck-by-pick
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9234 posts
530 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 5:20 pm
He's still a work in progress offensively but Pascal looks really improved this year. Looking back at that 2016 draft I think he should have gone much higher that he did, I think he can now officially be called the steal of that draft.

Definitely a steal. He isnt just an energy guy. He has pretty good IQ and very good defensively. He can finish a little bit. If he keeps improving like this, he could be a legit starter.

He is great off the bench right now. You can put him with Poetl, Ibaka, JV. You still get the same good results. Very versatile.
TORONTO RAPTORS IS THE 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15801 posts
685 upvotes
Stouffville
^ funny that you guys are talking about Pascal already being the steal of the draft...guy is averaging 7.5ppg and 4 rpg....

for fun, i decided to look at one guy so far in that draft... and he was drafted after Pascal... Dejounte Murray... 7.5ppg, 5rpg, 3 apg...already one guy that is actually doing better than Pascal..

Skal, who was right behind Pascal.. is averaging basically the same numbers as Pascal..

also, the official STEAL of that draft right now is Malcolm Brogdon...did you guys forget about him?

and, even tho he was in the lottery (lats pick), Denzel Valentine is looking pretty good
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13126 posts
2552 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
grappos13 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 5:41 am
^ funny that you guys are talking about Pascal already being the steal of the draft...guy is averaging 7.5ppg and 4 rpg....

for fun, i decided to look at one guy so far in that draft... and he was drafted after Pascal... Dejounte Murray... 7.5ppg, 5rpg, 3 apg...already one guy that is actually doing better than Pascal..

Skal, who was right behind Pascal.. is averaging basically the same numbers as Pascal..

also, the official STEAL of that draft right now is Malcolm Brogdon...did you guys forget about him?

and, even tho he was in the lottery (lats pick), Denzel Valentine is looking pretty good
There are more to a player than just box score numbers. I don't know how well those guys are playing but Pascal Siakam improved a lot this year.
Apr 4, 2009
850 posts
165 upvotes
grappos13 wrote:

Siakam on the floor the Raptors are a net positive and outscore oppoents 9 pts per 100 possessions.

On the eye test, the guy single handedly shut down Porzingod last week to his worst performance of the year. Guy looked completely lost on both ends last year but his defensive awareness, passing, and overall feel of the game has been much improved. Hell he actually can put the ball on the floor

If you can't see Siakam's improvement over last year, i don't know what else to say to you. Even I'm quite impressed and I didn't think much of him last year
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 5:20 pm

I actually like the dude. He played great first half of his rookie year, then Casey put him on the shelf after the all-star break. He's does a lot of the little things that don't show up on the box score, but eventually he will be throwing down some numbers. I just don't approve of him shooting corner 3s lol
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4108 posts
1497 upvotes
Global Village
grappos13 wrote:

As point guards who have the ball in their hands more Murray and Brogdon have a stats advantage, Pascal is getting his numbers without that advantage. If Murray develops a consistent 3 shot he could be a starter in the league but the same can be said of Pascal (i expect Brogdon will take a step back with his demotion to the bench). And Pascal has shown he can impact winning in more ways, Skal and Valentine are getting their numbers in bad, consistently losing teams, put Pascal in Sac and he could be averaging 20 and 10 right now. Given his rapid improvement and still tremendous upside if I'm drafting now and I have to choose any 1 of these 5 I'm going with Pascal.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6906 posts
2151 upvotes
Mississauga
scoper wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 9:59 am
As point guards who have the ball in their hands more Murray and Brogdon have a stats advantage, Pascal is getting his numbers without that advantage. If Murray develops a consistent 3 shot he could be a starter in the league but the same can be said of Pascal (i expect Brogdon will take a step back with his demotion to the bench). And Pascal has shown he can impact winning in more ways, Skal and Valentine are getting their numbers in bad, consistently losing teams, put Pascal in Sac and he could be averaging 20 and 10 right now. Given his rapid improvement and still tremendous upside if I'm drafting now and I have to choose any 1 of these 5 I'm going with Pascal.
While I would choose Pascal over Skal, I wouldn't go as far to say he would average 20 and 10 in Sacramento. The coach there has no idea what the heck he's doing and everyone is just all over the place. You already said Pascal is a work in progress offensively, so throwing up 20ppg would be too optimistic at this stage.

Skal actually has a great offensive game and can score in a lot of ways. But he can throw up a big game, and then get benched the next by that silly coach. I haven't seen him play enough to know how he is from a hustle point of view or on defense.

And that's the main reason why I would choose Pascal. I'm a firm believer that every team needs that high energy hustle guy, who plays defense. He's a glue guy of sorts. Biyombo was that guy for us when he was here. Will he develop a whole lot on offense, maybe, maybe not. But the way he runs up and down the floor, the easy buckets, the hustle d, that's already good enough for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4108 posts
1497 upvotes
Global Village
Great start in this Knicks game. JV is looking like the dominant C he could be.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13126 posts
2552 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ibaka is garbage. He needs to be benched for the rest of the night.
Feb 13, 2015
941 posts
143 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Geez Serge is STRUGGLING. Can’t get anything going offensively made a few defensive stops/plays but thats about it.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4108 posts
1497 upvotes
Global Village
Nightmare 3rd qtr. The Knicks got really slammed for the Tim Hardaway Jr signing this summer but he looks like a fantastic pickup for them now.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

kasm