Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
It still needs to be repeated - rigid inflexible brains just can't grasp moderate flexible positions.
In any case - enough with the endless childish Airpods cycle (insert multiple emojis)....

For those who are more diehard NBA fans....
From teams who win a championship, what is the ballpark average for how long that same coach keeps his job?
I guess I've never tried to quantify it as such, but I am curious.

If things don't pick up, it will be interesting to see what Masai does.
The US media jackals are naturally pumping out stories on who will be available at deadline.

I can't help but think that part of the problem with consistency is the lack of a reliable big at Centre.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
Franz Wagner is such a good shooter. And to think he could have been in Chicago who gave him up for Vucevic.
geokilla wrote: We’re so bad Face With Tears Of Joy
They have more weapons than us. And still missing Suggs.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
scoper wrote: Franz Wagner is such a good shooter. And to think he could have been in Chicago who gave him up for Vucevic.

They have more weapons than us. And still missing Suggs.
Wagner was the biggest eye opener for me. His rookie season was overshadowed by the Mobley/Barnes race, with Cunningham joining the fold later on. But I thought Wagner was worth at least an honourable mention.

In their second year, I objectively have to give this short season so far to Wagner. He is balling out and playing within his skillset. I would say the coach set him up for success but they have the worst record in the league, so not sure if it's really the coach. Lol.

However, they are dominating us for the second straight game. Let's see if we can pull off a miracle.

Also: Wendell Carter is hurt too, he's legit. Isaac is supposed to be coming back at some point in 2023. But he's been out so long, so it'll be interesting if he can regain a semblance of his old form.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote: Wagner was the biggest eye opener for me. His rookie season was overshadowed by the Mobley/Barnes race, with Cunningham joining the fold later on. But I thought Wagner was worth at least an honourable mention.

In their second year, I objectively have to give this short season so far to Wagner. He is balling out and playing within his skillset. I would say the coach set him up for success but they have the worst record in the league, so not sure if it's really the coach. Lol.

However, they are dominating us for the second straight game. Let's see if we can pull off a miracle.
With Fulz back, the way Bol is playing and with Suggs back soon they could go on a run that leads them to a play-in game. They could trade some players like TRoss to keep tanking.

Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
scoper wrote: With Fulz back, the way Bol is playing and with Suggs back soon they could go on a run that leads them to a play-in game. They could trade some players like TRoss to keep tanking.
I made an edit afterwards. They also have Wendell Carter out right now, who is one of their top players along with Banchero and Wagner. Also Isaac, but not counting him.

Talent is there. Perhaps no chemistry or leadership or culture to help the group excel. Theoretically with or without Ross, they should still be better than their current record, on paper.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
geokilla wrote: Trade Siakam and VanVleet too.
If Atlanta offers us Trey Young for Fred, Thad, Khem do we take the deal?

Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
geokilla wrote: Trade Siakam and VanVleet too.
Can't trade Siakam. He's having an MVP'esque season. Tonight was his first bad game of the season, shooting wise. But on our worst nights he was one of the only ones keeping us in the game.

Dude's literally been putting the team on his back this season for the most part.

VanVleet has been more inconsistent this season than usual, someone mentioned he's expecting another baby (soon?).

Barnes has not taken that leap I think many were hoping. But he's young, so there's plenty of time. Just hope he finds his game this season, as opposed to future seasons.

Gary Trent - major regression leading to him coming off the bench, let's see if he can really turn it around for good.

Anunoby - dude is balling, and was absent tonight. His defense was sorely missed.

Role players - really need them to step up big time and make the most of any playing time they get. I don't mind Koloko getting minutes in the NBA level. I wonder where that trade off is? 13 minutes at NBA level is like how many in the G league? Would 35-38mpg in the G league be as valuable or is it still less meaningful than the limited minutes in the NBA? No idea.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
kenchau wrote: I don't mind Koloko getting minutes in the NBA level. I wonder where that trade off is? 13 minutes at NBA level is like how many in the G league? Would 35-38mpg in the G league be as valuable or is it still less meaningful than the limited minutes in the NBA? No idea.
Koloko would be in the G League right now if it wasn't for Precious' poor performance early in the season and then the injury. Birch had some injuries as well, but he seems to be in Nurse's dog house now. It's so thin at C, that Pascal is playing the majority of his time at C.

Even though Koloko is 22 years old, he's still very raw. Getting more play time in the G League will be much better than being the 5th option.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
joeyjoejoe wrote: Koloko would be in the G League right now if it wasn't for Precious' poor performance early in the season and then the injury. Birch had some injuries as well, but he seems to be in Nurse's dog house now. It's so thin at C, that Pascal is playing the majority of his time at C.

Even though Koloko is 22 years old, he's still very raw. Getting more play time in the G League will be much better than being the 5th option.
Forgot about Precious. Ironically, Birch logged a respectable 18 minutes tonight against Orlando's tall lineup. But yeah, we are thin at Centre. And even with Precious and Birch, and Boucher, etc. Koloko seems to be our only guy taller than 6'9" at 7'1".
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
Better game by Scottie but 3 key turnovers in the 4th. Don't know what happened, last season he wasn't biting on pump fakes, tonight both Sabonis and Fox got him in the 4th.

The last few games have shown that if he doesn't control the ball he's like a fish out of water, doesn't move well without the ball at all. When he is the PG he's more involved but you have to live with his mistakes.

Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2205 posts
1395 upvotes
Etobicoke
A loss to the Kings...Maybe Masai told them to tank for Victor Wembanyama Confused Face
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
scoper wrote: Better game by Scottie but 3 key turnovers in the 4th. Don't know what happened, last season he wasn't biting on pump fakes, tonight both Sabonis and Fox got him in the 4th.

The last few games have shown that if he doesn't control the ball he's like a fish out of water, doesn't move well without the ball at all. When he is the PG he's more involved but you have to live with his mistakes.
It's so peculiar because last season, Barnes didn't need to control the ball.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote: It's so peculiar because last season, Barnes didn't need to control the ball.
He set the expectations high last season but now we are seeing his limitations more clearly. I just wish he would be more like OG when he doesn't control the ball, move, set screens, go after rebounds, do the dirty work and don't just stand around watching. Right now Pascal is a better, more reliable point FW option than him imo but when Pascal controls the ball Scottie disappears. Even if you bring in an experienced PG at the deadline who's to say he wont do the same.

Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
Freddie is on fire in the 1st half.

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
Of course they don't review dirty dog KD
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
Damn Yuta, where were those clutch shots when you were playing for us?

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
Wat happened?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)