Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: That group should be performing better. Everyone gets blame. I don't like the "everyone but Nick Nurse" gets the blame that some are spewing. That's utter nonsense.
At present, there isn't anyone here really "spewing" (lol) that.
Stop fabricating fiction to give greater weight to your perspective.
It's very childish, and diminishes the valid and intelligent insight that you often offer.

Nurse definitely takes blame on this.
This, however, does not equate towards your "worst coach in NBA" claims.
My feel is the issue is more players than coach.
I empathize with Masai because his selection is often limited.
With this said, time is ticking since the championship, and maybe it is time for a change.

Sleazebag sports hack Steve Simmons is playing your music.

https://theprovince.com/sports/basketba ... 31d327bad3
It took a certain belief, conviction, and cold detachment for Masai Ujiri to fire Dwane Casey, then coach of the year in the NBA.

The question now is: Would he do something similar with Nick Nurse? And has the time come to be considering such a decision?

The Raptors championship is now four seasons past. The team is a mess. The honeymoon is all but over. Nurse can’t stop complaining about officials, night after night, and now his players, most recently Scottie Barnes and Fred VanVleet have followed his lead.

His first two seasons, Nurse had an incredible .720 winning percentage, an NBA championship, followed by a coach of the year honour. He made his stamp as an NBA coach. Everyone took notice. The last three seasons, amid COVID difficulties and roster instability, he has a .481 winning percentage. Hard not to notice that now.

The Raptors struggle with half-court offence, which is taught, and can’t play defence particularly well, which is taught, let Pascal Siakam play way too much isolation basketball, which is taught and don’t seem to get the most of their players night after night. The loss Friday night in Los Angeles to a Lakers team without LeBron James and with a half-hearted Anthony Davis was the kind of defeat that would claw away at Ujiri and by extension general manager Bobby Webster the way the playoff losses to Cleveland had him losing faith in Casey years ago.

Who’s having a great season on the Raptors? Full season? The whole season? Anyone. The coach certainly isn’t. Neither is Ujiri or Webster. A lot to wonder about here with 14 games to play and nowhere really to go.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
shikotee wrote: At present, there isn't anyone here really "spewing" (lol) that.
Stop fabricating fiction to give greater weight to your perspective.
It's very childish, and diminishes the valid and intelligent insight that you often offer.

Nurse definitely takes blame on this.
This, however, does not equate towards your "worst coach in NBA" claims.
My feel is the issue is more players than coach.
I empathize with Masai because his selection is often limited.
With this said, time is ticking since the championship, and maybe it is time for a change.

Sleazebag sports hack Steve Simmons is playing your music.

https://theprovince.com/sports/basketba ... 31d327bad3
I wasn't referring to RFD specifically, but rather on Twitter, Reddit, etc. There's some crazies out there still living in 2019.

- Nurse is fine, he brought us the Championship, but we definitely need to trade a, b, c, etc.

That's the general theme of these Nurse supporters. End of the day, I just don't see anything different, nothing new being tried. Always running the same thing, and poor execution. It's like the guys aren't prepared.

And I just really don't know if he still has the guys or if some are no longer listening. We all know, when coach no longer has the guys, that's the end of the road.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan

Just seems disengaged. Also alludes very very briefly to not being in the flow with the offense.

I have to at least pin some of that on Nick Nurse. I can allow for some "adjustment" having added Poetl, but ultimately, coach has to tweak the offense to get your number one player involved, engaged, and effective.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote:

Just seems disengaged. Also alludes very very briefly to not being in the flow with the offense.

I have to at least pin some of that on Nick Nurse. I can allow for some "adjustment" having added Poetl, but ultimately, coach has to tweak the offense to get your number one player involved, engaged, and effective.
The ball has been in Fred's and Scotties hands more since the Jakob trade, with more positive results than negative imo. When Pascal is the floor general he is more effective. But Fred and especially Scottie are less effective. Ultimately all of these guys will need to adapt and learn to be more effective off the ball imo.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3685 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
kenchau wrote:

This is why we cannot build around him, and he will never lead us to the end.
everything from forgets how to play basketball because 3 months lock down to fade what?
common... seriously? :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Dreamrider wrote: This is why we cannot build around him, and he will never lead us to the end.
everything from forgets how to play basketball because 3 months lock down to fade what?
common... seriously? :facepalm:
Let's be honest, there aren't many people around the league you can truly build around.

Kevin Durant likes to bolt, AD is always in street clothes, Kawhi load management, Kyrie loves non-basketball controversy.

Only guys like LeBron (not current older version), Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, Tatum, Doncic, Curry are guys you can build around.

End of the day, if you don't let your star players do what they can do, they're not going to be effective. With Poetl, yes, he understandably has to be inside, and then you shift the ball handling to only Barnes and VanVleet and this team doesn't run much anymore, so you're basically asking Siakam to be a stand by 3-point jump shooter because he ain't a post up player. Or coach needs to come up with new plays on offense that gets people in motion.

Think when Phil took the ball out of Michael's hands as a primary ball handler but had his free flowing triangle offense that would still get him the ball and let him do what he does best (midrange). Up to the coach to fit the pieces. Not saying Siakam is MJ obviously, nor is Nurse, Phil, that's very obvious lol.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
Holy cow, 49 points in the 1st qtr!!!!

Most pts in 1 qtr in Raps history.

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
Uh-oh....
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2205 posts
1396 upvotes
Etobicoke
Raptors gonna Raptor. Gonna find a way of losing again, this time with a big lead.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
Our bench is like a tire fire
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
Superfan is so pumped up. Some things just don't change.

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Superfan is so pumped up. Some things just don't change.
I'm pumped too.
Was looking very bleak....
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
Fred is so much fun to watch when he is on fire.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
shikotee wrote: Fred is so much fun to watch when he is on fire.
Beyond just the shooting (he was hotter than fish grease tonight) that play between Fred and Scottie moving off the ball and Fred feeding him for the bucket, that was eye-opening to me and very encouraging, it might be a turning point.
Fred has been noticeably improving as a floor general since All Star.

Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
scoper wrote: Beyond just the shooting (he was hotter than fish grease tonight) that play between Fred and Scottie moving off the ball and Fred feeding him for the bucket, that was eye-opening to me and very encouraging, it might be a turning point.
Fred has been noticeably improving as a floor general since All Star.
It's ever since the birth of his third child. We just need to get to a one-win play-in spot because Freddy is peaking at the right time.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote: It's ever since the birth of his third child. We just need to get to a one-win play-in spot because Freddy is peaking at the right time.
We are going to be a nightmare to face in the play-in, for anyone, especially at home.

Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
geokilla wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1 ... ive_plays/

I don't think he's winning MVP anymore after his performance vs Raptors.

Edit: Ringer on Jack Armstrong. HELLO!
TBH, the only bad one i saw was the bucket by Boucher.. every other one he was alone 1 v 2 or the man who wasnt his scored... he still ended up with 28 8 7 shooting 10/13

I know ur probably joking but this guy is averaging 25 12 and 10 as a center... and following up his best PER season of all time last year with another PER season that is equal to the best PER season Jordan has ever had..

Even tho Embiid is scoring at a really high rate, i dunno how u dont give it to Jokic for the 3 peat if his team finishes first in the West...
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3685 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
kenchau wrote: It's ever since the birth of his third child. We just need to get to a one-win play-in spot because Freddy is peaking at the right time.
if his child birth really the reason, I know it's stressful time, someone buy him a box of condoms.
He really needs to be better at managing his schedule.
It's not hard do it so that birth is during off season or just before start of season.
Face With Tears Of Joy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)