Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2007
1118 posts
45 upvotes
Masai’s plan was always to move away from the Lowry-DeRozan Tandem because they had consistently shown they simply weren’t good enough to be the best players on a championship team. No knock on them, as there are maybe 5 players in the league in that category. We did have luck go our way in winning this ring but it took a calculated gamble on Masai’s part to acquire Kawhi. You have to give him credit. Moving forward, with the big contracts to Lowry, Ibaka, and Gasol set to expire soon, Masai will have ample opportunity to rebuild either through trades or free agent signings. It may be a long time until we win again but this year and Masai’s trade was so worth it. Think of other organizations like the Clippers who haven’t won ever.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4518 posts
387 upvotes
Surprise surprise my life was not impacted by this decision.

And I guarantee the sun will rise and set too.

I am curious as to whether any so called insider or writers called this.

I'm sure many will pretend they knew it was coming.

It would be an interesting debrief from masai as to how this played out.

Oh well. Life goes on.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7158 posts
2241 upvotes
Mississauga
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 11:36 am
Raps didn't have assets to get pg or any combination.

They were used as leverage.

Why would getting pg mean Kawhi stays when he could've likely went to finals with current squad?
Toronto has assets. Draft picks are always an asset. But there's a line. OKC obviously wanted too many, so Toronto didn't do the deal.

Being able to make the Finals again with the current squad is just an opinion. He clearly wanted a second superstar.

They had to earn that Championship. It wasn't easy and maybe he just feels more at ease with another guy that is like him, can deliver all the time, whether it was KD that he was trying to recruit or PG, they can deliver. No other Raptor drew double teams, so having a true superstar opens up the game for both him and the other.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3284 posts
1747 upvotes
Toronto
Am I dissappointed...sure. but I'm not going to be Kawhi-ing a river for for very long. i'm still excited to see how the Raps build around Pascal, OG, etc. This year was all about "one and done" - and it was "done" with a big exclamation point. Kawhi was a privilege on our home court for the season...shake hands and best of luck on both sides, thank you Kawhi.
Remove all the emotions and the goal was clear-cut all along. It was established and it was accomplished, and I will savour every moment of it, and then back to work for Masai and Co. The chip merely held the door open to make the Raps Kawhi's team for the next few years but the welcome mat was never meant for Masai and the Raps. Im far from being heart-broken and I dont have the slightest feeling of being "betrayed" by the man. Definitely will never consider booing him down the road. Raps got one...gave me some memorable moments to cherish, on to the next dance.
I was at the Raps very first home playoff game in 2000 - last row in the 300's. Standing room only behind us. It was electrifying and they lost. i was in Uni, the height of Vinsanity and I admit I was one of the bitter ones for the first few years when VC left. I grew up a Celtics fan but to have our own team and a star (VC was easily the most popular player in the world at that time) was on a diffenet level for me as a basketball fan...so I get the strong emotions that younger fans might be feeing this week/today and feeling crushed by Kawhi's leaving.
Last edited by Fightguard on Jul 6th, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 27, 2017
404 posts
278 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 12:36 pm
It will be tough for the fans to go from chip to lottery so soon but it must be done for the future prospects of the team.
LOL why would this be tough? The team rented a superstar and now he's gone. Even as stupid some Toronto fans are, highly doubt any have allusions of repeating now. And the Raps will still get home court advantage in round 1. No way this is a lottery team losing Kawhi and Green.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2585 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Although it sucks we lost our best player. I think we're still in a good situation. Everyone has us not winning the finals again. That will motivate the players even more to prove to all the doubters AGAIN. Personally, I'd rather win again without Kawhi to prove that we dont need him vs winning again with him. Let's not forget that, without Kawhi. The team was still winning key games.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7657 posts
2272 upvotes
Best duos in the NBA right now?

Kawhi Leonard / Paul George
LeBron James / Anthony Davis
Kevin Durant (injured) / Kyrie Irving
Stephen Curry / Klay Thompson
Nikola Jokic / Jamal Murray
James Harden / Chris Paul

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jul 6th, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2010
4462 posts
853 upvotes
Abbottabad
I’m just upset that Lou Williams got his way.

God damn
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11919 posts
2817 upvotes
Montréal
XFactor11 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 12:50 pm

Stephen Curry / Klay Thompson

Siakam / OG :D
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7158 posts
2241 upvotes
Mississauga
XFactor11 wrote:

Stephen Curry / Klay Thompsonjo

I think LeBron/AD might have an edge over Leonard/George straight up, but once you factor the rest of the team, Clippers have the edge. But it's not a slam dunk either way.

That's what makes this upcoming season so good. It's going to be more widely competitive than recent seasons.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7657 posts
2272 upvotes
Not in the playoffs.
congeetime wrote:
Although it sucks we lost our best player. I think we're still in a good situation. Everyone has us not winning the finals again. That will motivate the players even more to prove to all the doubters AGAIN. Personally, I'd rather win again without Kawhi to prove that we dont need him vs winning again with him. Let's not forget that, without Kawhi. The team was still winning key games.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8147 posts
532 upvotes
Even though I am sad to see Kawhi go but you can't blame a guy who wants to play close to his family, friends and much nicer weather.
Heatware: 36-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7088 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
congeetime wrote:
Doesn't matter, once playoffs started we needed Kawhi, especially on defense when no one else could slow Giannis or was too spooked to take a shot against Philly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9259 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Next season of basketball is going to be insanely entertaining now that Kawhi is off to the Clippers with PG.

I don't think Raps will have the firepower to overcome a team with a star duo, but I am interested to see what Kawhi has left our team with, especially in terms of mental toughness.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7088 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2019 12:54 pm
Siakam / OG :D
Hopefully OG isn't a walking injury waiting to happen moving forward. He is our starting SF by default now. Him and Powell need to hit their open 3's with Green gone..

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

sg2386