• Aug 10th, 2005 11:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1401 posts
70 upvotes
Mount Hope, ON
kon_kat wrote:If you subscribe to a forum you get daily updates with new posts followed by an update of posts that were updated. Problem is the email only gets sent out once a day [11pm mountain time] so 1-day deals will have elapsed by the time you get the email or for limited quanty deals the stores will be out of stock by the time you get the email.

I'm not sure why a sort by thread start date isn't an option and sort by poster's name and topic title are.
Way back when (in the long long ago time) you could subscribe to a forum on RFD and get *instant* notification of new threads. Reeeaaaalllllly miss those days. Now you can only get instant notifications for individual threads you have subscribed to.

*edit*
And ... from another thread in this forum, the sort by thread start date is not available in vBulletin without some hack.
There are two types of people in the world,
those who search for hidden messages, and those who don't.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2003
2327 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
actully screw RSS. where's the mobile service? :'(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5573 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
canook wrote:Yep, it's a Firefox feature. From checking a few of the sites I know of where the icon pops up, it would appear to be the following code in the header (enclosed in > and < naturally, but the html filters don't like that):

Code: Select all

link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="/whatever.rss" /
I'm guessing that Firefox picks it up based on that. It then lets you integrate the feed into the "Live Bookmarks" - which is really handy for checking headlines without actually loading the page.
I've added this to all of the footers. Let me know if it works.
Nov 3, 2002
956 posts
Manitoba
Derek wrote:I've added this to all of the footers. Let me know if it works.
Works perfectly, Derek, thanks!
"There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." - GK Chesterton
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4658 posts
567 upvotes
canook wrote:I've just been playing around with the RSS feed features in the latest Firefox, and I'm finally beginning to appreciate the value of RSS. :)

So I was wondering - would it be possible to have an RSS feed of the latest deals from the main RFD site? With Firefox, it creates a "live bookmark", where the bookmark expands to show you all the RSS headline which you can then click on to go to that item.

Of course, an RSS feed of active subscribed threads from the user control panel would be nice, but perhaps a little overly ambitious. :D
RSS is cool until you have 200 feeds in your Firefox... Then it gets a little tiresome...

But yes, very cool and very powerful technology!
Aug 22, 2003
105 posts
7 upvotes
Another vote for RSS for the hot deals forum, pretty please!
Aug 16, 2004
653 posts
180 upvotes
Vancouver
bump for RSS in the hot deals forum!

:D
Nov 22, 2003
841 posts
10 upvotes
The RSS feed doesn't seem to have updates for the past couple weeks...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8460 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
malaca wrote:The RSS feed doesn't seem to have updates for the past couple weeks...
Unsubscribe and then resubscribe...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1958 posts
84 upvotes
I've actually modified a konfabulator widget on the desktop to read RFD feed, nothing fancy but it works for me.

a hot deal forum feed would be great..
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
malaca wrote:The RSS feed doesn't seem to have updates for the past couple weeks...
I have the opposite; Thunderbird seems to be getting 2-5 copies of an item, some from the past.
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
siriuskao wrote:I've actually modified a konfabulator widget on the desktop to read RFD feed, nothing fancy but it works for me.

a hot deal forum feed would be great..

I did the same thing, but realized that by the time a hot deal gets posted on the feed, I probably would have already seen it in the forums...
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
1014 posts
1 upvote
AB
Just curious,

Wouldn't getting the info for RSS feeds bypass the advertising, and result in less clickthrough revenue for the site?

If thats the case, why would rfd be interested in publishing content though RSS?