Beauty & Wellness

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 12:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
751 upvotes
Brampton

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

To avoid cluttering up the Fendrihan thread in the Hot Deals forum with general chat not related to the deal at all, figured I might as well make a general discussion thread for us here.

Was pleasantly surprised to see so many traditional wet shavers on the forums as well. Wet shaving is like a lost artform that young people today have forgotten due to the abundance and availability of insanely high priced disposable cartridge blades like the Fusion and Mach 3's and so on.. I haven't been at the hobby terribly long, under a year, but I am so glad I discovered it thanks to an online buddy who talked me into taking the plunge.

The main selling point for me was the awesome ability to be able to use a brand new blade with EVERY shave if I wanted to without having to use a cartridge that cost several dollars, but rather only a few cents per blade. When you are paying so much for those stupid cartridge blades like a Fusion, they are so expensive that you can't help but want to use that razor to the point of extremity simply because you know how much money the damn things cost you..

I guess I will start off with a few pics of my humble but steadily growing collection.. The problem with the hobby is once you start, and try a few things, you suddenly want to try EVERYTHING. I've probably got enough soap to last me a year or two and yet I still find myself buying more! It just becomes that enjoyable..

Crappy low resolution photo's from my phone but whatever..

Pictured:
My apothecary mug for lathering, after I whip up my lather I like to place it in a sink filled with hot water so it keeps my lather toasty.
Alum Block for post shave closing of pores
Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream (my absolute favorite.. Pricey, but amazing.)
Castle Forbes Pre-Shave Balm
Balla Powder (received this as a practical joke gift but it's actually pretty awesome. It's mentholated talcum powder you put on your BALLS after taking a shower. Google it, it's legit!)
Castle Forbes Lime Aftershave Balm
Badger & Blade official Boar Brush (smoke handle), inside brush holder
Kent BLK4 Silvertip Badger Brush (The brush that came with my starter kit, it's amazing)
DR Harris Marlborough Shaving soap in wooden bowl
Proraso green shaving cream
Merkur Progress Razor
Edwin Jagger DE89 Gold Plated Razor
Styptic Pencil

Razor blade packs, from left to right:
Precision Reds (Israel), PolSilver Super Iridiums (My personal favorites, Poland), Wilkinson Sword (USA), Astra Superior Platinum (Russia), Derby Extra (Turkey), Lord Platinum Class (Egypt), Astra Superior Stainless (Russia), Gillette 7'o clock Yellow (Russia), Gillette 7'o Clock Black (India), and in the front in the plastic case are medical grade Personna Lab Blue's (USA)

These were also in the closet, I don't have them out since I'm still trying to work through the stuff I've already got open:

RazoRock Zi' Peppino Green Tobacco shaving soap
Col. Conk Bay Rum shaving soap in showerproof container

So there you have it, my collection in full. Next purchase is the Klar Kabinett rose soap that I keep hearing so much about.. Problem is that I need more soap like I need a hole in the head.

Feel free to post your questions, comments, or even your collections in the thread. And I look forward to discussing the hobby with more users on the forums!

Cheers everyone!
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
382 replies
Oct 25, 2012
203 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
Great collection. Where do you purchase your supplies? I got my blades a while ago from a dealer on badger and blade, and my aftershave from Italianbarber.com

I'd post a picture but all I have is one DE and a few safety razors :(
PSN - Meditech82
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes
I'm surprised there aren't more posts here....

I would like to propose a topic for discussion...

What procedures do you follow while shaving?
Now I'm mostly talking about how many passes you make and how you make them (shaving with the grain then across the grain then against etc.) but if you have any interesting pre and post shave techniques please feel free to share them.

Also out of curiosity and in the interest of helping a friend, I would be interested to know how/if any people who would classify themselves as "black" use DE or Straight razors to shave and what you do to reduce razor bumps.

...and when I feel like getting off my arse I might take some pics of my pitiful shaving equipment.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes
So, I'll post my shave procedure (straight razor)

I start by stropping my razor, usually about 25 passes on the canvas side, followed by another 25 on the leather side.

Then I put some hot water in my shaving mug to soften my brush and soap.

Next I shower to open up my pores.

I empty the water from my mug and add then empty some more hot water to it making sure I get more hot water on the brush.

I lather up the shaving cream and shave usually only making 2 passes one with the grain, followed by one across the grain.

I wash my face again with cold water and that's it for me, no post shave treatment (oily skin prone to breaking out).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
751 upvotes
Brampton
Nobody visits this sub forum it seems, that's why unfortunately I'd assume most people don't even know the thread exists...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
751 upvotes
Brampton
My routine.. Is to take a very hot shower, making sure to let my beard be thoroughly soaked all throughout the process.

While I'm in the shower, my brush has been soaking in my lathering mug for a good several minutes. So I'll reach out from the running shower and pick up the mug, empty the water, and then start building my lather INSIDE the shower. The reason I do this is because I want to make sure my face doesn't start drying out, it's good to keep it wet for as long as possible. Once the lather is fully ready to go, I'll place it back outside of the shower then turn the water off.

I dry off everything except for my face, then apply my Castle Forbes pre-shave balm, massaging it into my beard for a good 30 seconds in small circles.

Then I apply the lather right on top of the balm, and begin my shaving routine.

Twice with the grain
Once across the grain
Once against the grain

and I'm done. 4 passes total. and on the fourth pass I'll use up ALL the remaining lather, which usually is a copious amount for a very smooth luxurious final pass.

Also, I rest my lather mug inside a sink filled with hot water so I have warm lather throughout the whole shave.

When my shave is done, I cold water rinse my face and any remaining cream off, then wet the alum block and go up and down my face. While the alum block is working its magic I'll rinse off my razors and clean out my mug

One more cold water rinse to get the alum residue off my face, then I apply my Castle Forbes Lime aftershave balm, followed by a few sprays of cologne.

A great shave every time!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes
hm, looks like I'm gonna need to get some better equipment like an alum block a sytpic pencil and better soap
Oct 25, 2012
203 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
My process for DE shaving is simple.

In the shower I wet my shaving brush and make sure my face is ready with warm water.

I don't have a bowl. I put a little shaving cream on my face and lather it with the brush to make a nice thick lather.

I either shave with a electric shaver or a andis T outliner before I use a DE so my hair is basically stuble.

I never go with the grain, always against it. I do about 3 passes.

I use feather blades with a 37c slant, it's a aggressive razor and paired with the sharpest feather blades it never fails.

I go very easy with no effort when I shave because you can sure cut yourself easily.
Apply aftershave lotion then a moisturizer.

Done.
PSN - Meditech82
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
73 upvotes
I just started this; so far I have Proraso (green) soap in a tub, a cheap DE razor and default Lord blades. I have Real Shaving Co. aftershave balm and a RazoRock alum stick.

I'm really liking DE shaving, but I'm not a fan of the Proraso soap I have. What brushes and soaps have you guys tried? There is so much out there that every time I want to buy something I can't pull the trigger because what if I dont like it? I'll have to use it up which will take years lol.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
751 upvotes
Brampton
dsattaur wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2013 10:56 pm
My process for DE shaving is simple.

In the shower I wet my shaving brush and make sure my face is ready with warm water.

I don't have a bowl. I put a little shaving cream on my face and lather it with the brush to make a nice thick lather.

I either shave with a electric shaver or a andis T outliner before I use a DE so my hair is basically stuble.

I never go with the grain, always against it. I do about 3 passes.

I use feather blades with a 37c slant, it's a aggressive razor and paired with the sharpest feather blades it never fails.

I go very easy with no effort when I shave because you can sure cut yourself easily.
Apply aftershave lotion then a moisturizer.

Done.

Wow, you don't do ANY with the grain or cross the grain passes and just do 3 against the grain passes? That would probably be OK on my face but my neck would get razor burn for certain. That's one very aggressive regimen! And the slant is already quite the aggressive razor as I understand it..
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
751 upvotes
Brampton
Starkicker wrote:
Feb 4th, 2013 4:08 pm
I just started this; so far I have Proraso (green) soap in a tub, a cheap DE razor and default Lord blades. I have Real Shaving Co. aftershave balm and a RazoRock alum stick.

I'm really liking DE shaving, but I'm not a fan of the Proraso soap I have. What brushes and soaps have you guys tried? There is so much out there that every time I want to buy something I can't pull the trigger because what if I dont like it? I'll have to use it up which will take years lol.
I don't like Proraso either, although it gets a LOT of love because it's widely available at any Shoppers Drug Mart and is very inexpensive. I think it smells like crap, though.

If you want a good, cheap, inexpensive brush you could try the official Badger & Blade Boar brush, it's only 20 bucks plus shipping: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Badger- ... _1707.html

As for soaps.. It's definitely one of those things where everybody has an opinion about what is best. In my opinion, to date the best soap or cream I have ever used is this stuff:

But it is pricey. However I've been using my tub for months and there is not even a dent missing out of it, so it seems.

The smell is fantastic and the quality is top notch...

There's a pretty big buy/sell/trade forum on Badger & Blade where you can easily sell any soap or cream that you end up not liking, so you could always consider that as well, in case you bought something that you didn't end up liking

Good luck, let us know if you try anything!
Jun 25, 2010
391 posts
61 upvotes
where can i buy the straight razor here in the GTA?.. i am sick of the crappy gillett saftey razors.
Oct 25, 2012
203 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
duckdown wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 1:25 pm
Wow, you don't do ANY with the grain or cross the grain passes and just do 3 against the grain passes? That would probably be OK on my face but my neck would get razor burn for certain. That's one very aggressive regimen! And the slant is already quite the aggressive razor as I understand it..
Nope, nothing with the grain. BUT what I do is I have a electric razor and I shave with that first OR I have a Andis T outliner which I use to also take down my hair to pretty much stub length and then I shave with the DE razor. I NORMALLY shave once a week, sometimes twice but I always take the hair down before I use the DE.

Ya the razor is aggressive especially paired with the feather blades. You go light, no pressure on the razor at all. Just let the razor do it's job.
PSN - Meditech82
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1797 posts
362 upvotes
Just placed an order for a kilo of Cella shaving soap, was going to buy some Castle Forbes (lavender) as per duckdown's recommendation but the cheap a$$ in me decided to go with the kilo of Cella (which I hear is supposed to be great stuff)

I wanted to delve into the realm of DE razors (because sometimes I don't feel like going through the whole song and dance of stropping my straight), any recommendations for a good place to start?

Instead of the DE I might just end up buying a cheap "maintenance free" straight like the feather artist club SS but I am hesitant because I hear they are not very forgiving.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel