Fashion & Beauty

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2023 5:54 pm
Nov 6, 2008
213 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
JohnyBGood wrote: How are the new products??? Or should we take it by your silence that the slant razor hospitalized you for a few days? ;)
(I couldn't bring myself to cold shave, again...I'm really happy that hot shaving has eliminated any discomfort)
The seller decided to refund the cost of the razor while allowing me to keep it. Since they have to refund shipping cost, it was not worth it for them (Canada to UK). So, I was finally able to shave with the razor. What can I say? It's a shame Merkur does not feel it's important to produce better fit and finish because the razor can produce some of the best and most comfortable shaves.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1119 posts
451 upvotes
Man, I forgot about this thread.

After a couple years I've finally found what works for me.

After purchasing the Feather AS-D2 on Massdrop earlier this year for $148USD, all I can say is wow. This is the razor for me.
It's performance, paired with a Feather blade and the proper blade angle is epic.
It's so smooth.

As for soaps, I alternate depending on my mood. I like the Proraso green somedays (cheapest I've found it is at Adonis btw), somedays Arko (Marche Istanbul for $1 as somebody mentioned) and a couple other soaps I still have.

I bought some cheap Silvertip brushes off a seller on Ebay and am very satisfied with them.
Nov 6, 2008
213 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
pakmode wrote:
After purchasing the Feather AS-D2 on Massdrop earlier this year for $148USD, all I can say is wow. This is the razor for me.
It's performance, paired with a Feather blade and the proper blade angle is epic.
It's so smooth.
The AS-D2 looks like a fine razor, and I am sure it is. However, I am not ready to buy one for one simple reason: I would like to get into straight razor and would rather invest this kind money in a straight razor...if I had it :-)
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1119 posts
451 upvotes
patrickrfd wrote: The AS-D2 looks like a fine razor, and I am sure it is. However, I am not ready to buy one for one simple reason: I would like to get into straight razor and would rather invest this kind money in a straight razor...if I had it :-)
Yeah, it goes without saying, that every guy is different and everybody has their own preferences.

Some love a really aggressive razor. I'm in the camp that doesn't.

Do you have a straight razor right now? You could always try out a shavette and see how you like it?
Nov 6, 2008
213 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
pakmode wrote:
Do you have a straight razor right now? You could always try out a shavette and see how you like it?
No, I don't own one yet. I did think about a shavette, but I also heard that you still go through a transition phase when moving shavette to straight razor.
Mar 11, 2012
363 posts
186 upvotes
i've been using a Merkur 34C and feather blades.

got 100 feather blades just under 30 bucks shipped.

Feathers are the second blade I used other then the Merkur blade.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1119 posts
451 upvotes
patrickrfd wrote: No, I don't own one yet. I did think about a shavette, but I also heard that you still go through a transition phase when moving shavette to straight razor.
There are some cheap shavettes on ebay and I think you just snap your DE razor blades in half and away you go.

Might be worth trying out to see if you actually like it.
Nov 6, 2008
213 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
pakmode wrote: There are some cheap shavettes on ebay and I think you just snap your DE razor blades in half and away you go.

Might be worth trying out to see if you actually like it.
I might at some point. For now, I am enjoying the 37C slant razor. Just as I had the money to buy a straight razor, I got into a car accident and had to pay for the repairs. And there went my money !!!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1467 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
For anyone who might be interested in adding a few items to their shaving den, Italian Barber just added a bunch of items: http://www.italianbarber.com/collections/new-stuff

That includes a 4oz tub of the "Amici" shaving soap for $2.65!!! Link: http://www.italianbarber.com/collection ... aving-soap
I have one on order to try out. Hopefully it's good, because that's an amazing deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
I've picked up a few vintage Gillettes lately. I thought I had cleaned them up pretty well, but then I was reading on badger & blade about Peek Cream Polish http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/peek- ... kIg-F50YmA. I picked some up last night and tried it out on my latest acquisition, a Gillette Tech (made in Canada!), and I can't believe the difference. It went from shiny to SHINY! I highly recommend it for any of your metal items which are not quite as bright as you would like them to be.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Nov 6, 2008
213 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
JohnyBGood wrote: Fendrihan has some new and unusual SS razors, which are closed comb on one side and open on the other (basically offering 2 shave styles at the flip of the wrist ( http://www.fendrihan.ca/collections/new-arrivals ).
iKon has a similar razor if I am not mistaken. The Fendrihan razor does not seem to have the best fit and finish as the iKon, but the price is much lower than iKon stainless steel razors. That said, personally, I would rather have a razor that is either open comb on both sides, or safety bar on both sides. But that's just me.
Nov 6, 2008
213 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
Vacillator wrote: I've picked up a few vintage Gillettes lately. I thought I had cleaned them up pretty well, but then I was reading on badger & blade about Peek Cream Polish http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/peek- ... kIg-F50YmA. I picked some up last night and tried it out on my latest acquisition, a Gillette Tech (made in Canada!), and I can't believe the difference. It went from shiny to SHINY! I highly recommend it for any of your metal items which are not quite as bright as you would like them to be.
Thanks for mentioning this product. I did not know it existed. It can even be used on gold. Now I can clean my wedding ring, and make it shiny again.
Jul 21, 2015
36 posts
9 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I have been a wet shaver for a year now, i mainly use proraso green but this year especially during this winter time, i am feeling the dry skin after i shave. Any recommendation on which cream to buy? What caught my interest now is the Castle Forbes Cedar & Sandalwood soap, though i am not sure if it has the moisturizing properties to keep my skin not feeling dry.
Oct 10, 2004
919 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg
What is your aftershave routine? Perhaps that is where you can address the dry skin issue. As for the Cedar & Sandalwood, I have the cream and it whips up into a fantastic lather. The fragrance is amazing. Reminds of walking along the trails of Menorca during my honeymoon.
Mar 11, 2012
363 posts
186 upvotes
I use Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin, lathers nice, provides nice slick protection. Leaves my face feeling cleaner then after just the shower alone.
I've never noticed any drying.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
shpddd wrote: I have been a wet shaver for a year now, i mainly use proraso green but this year especially during this winter time, i am feeling the dry skin after i shave. Any recommendation on which cream to buy? What caught my interest now is the Castle Forbes Cedar & Sandalwood soap, though i am not sure if it has the moisturizing properties to keep my skin not feeling dry.
Give the Maca Root shave cream from The Body Shop a try.

Also, you might need to moisturize your face with a good lotion after you've applied whatever aftershaves or balms that you normally use. Winter is especially drying, and the act of shaving is also going to scrape the natural layer of oil from your skin, so put that moisture back.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
Would people suggest starting off a teenager with a DE razor?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Vacillator wrote: Give the Maca Root shave cream from The Body Shop a try.

Also, you might need to moisturize your face with a good lotion after you've applied whatever aftershaves or balms that you normally use. Winter is especially drying, and the act of shaving is also going to scrape the natural layer of oil from your skin, so put that moisture back.
I have Proraso Eucalyputus/Menthol and Body shop Maca Root as well. I would rate the Maca root as being more moisturizing and a bit more slick. Tomorrow I try e-Shave Verbena Lime and I'll try not to swallow any but it smells so tasty. I'll be spreading the creamy goodness with a Plisson "La Masion du Barbier" which his softer than anything you can imagine.

Never tried an aftershave because I have good luck with L'Oréal Reviltalift which I get from Costco. I tried some Olay Regenerist and it seemed similar, but the L'Oréal has passed the summer test. I work outside and would have to wipe sweat from my face sometimes 20 times a day. Some face moisturisers have gummed up and are not present after a wiping session, or have slowly disappeared. Some that stuck around were just greasy. Revitalift with SPF 18 lasts all day no problem and you are free to wipe your face with a towel multiple times and it is still there at the end of the day. Tried Clinique and that was greasy.

Advantage of the L'Oréal and the Olay is I can get them at Costco.

To give you an idea of the level of scrape I am currently delivering to my face, I am using an Edwin Jagger DE89L Classic and a Derby Extra blade.
Apr 10, 2005
649 posts
147 upvotes
Montreal
Sum_guy wrote: Would people suggest starting off a teenager with a DE razor?
If he's interested, definitely. It's not that hard to learn, and he'll have a lifetime of good shaving and save money compared to using cartridge razors.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)