Fashion & Beauty

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2023 5:54 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
Phat$ wrote: For those in the GTA who are new to wet shaving or are considering starting (or just those who want to get some free samples), you may want to check out the mens essentials meet up. Tons of free samples/giveaways which is a great opportunity to test the waters before diving in.

Here is a review (with pics of the haul) from last year - https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/co ... nd_review/

Saturday September 23rd - 1pm - 6pm

Note - you must RSVP by email - RSVP@menessentials.com

More info here - https://www.menessentials.ca/pages/mene ... s-workshop

Got the email too. I want to go, but already have so much stuff. Bought a proper medicine cabinet to put it all in, its been sitting in the basement partially assembled for at least a year now
Too bad there isn't more B&M stores in/around the GTA to sniff stuff :)
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
Sharp blade, mild razor huh? I'll have to try this combination as I continue to try and battle the dreaded ingrown hair/razor bump issues I've been having.
I'm determined to get it right as I thoroughly enjoy the intangible experience of a nice wet shave.
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
pnyknights wrote: Got the email too. I want to go, but already have so much stuff. Bought a proper medicine cabinet to put it all in, its been sitting in the basement partially assembled for at least a year now
Too bad there isn't more B&M stores in/around the GTA to sniff stuff :)
I'll have to keep my eye open for one of these events next year. I've been ordering from there for a few years now and visited the Danforth location once. Very nice place.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
Pottertons wrote: Sharp blade, mild razor huh? I'll have to try this combination as I continue to try and battle the dreaded ingrown hair/razor bump issues I've been having.
I'm determined to get it right as I thoroughly enjoy the intangible experience of a nice wet shave.
Have you tried the 3 pass method? it might help with your ingrown hairs.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
Firstly, please disregard the quote used in my previous post. lol. it was done in error.

Yes, I have tried the 3 pass method, but due to my technique, not yet been mastered and the fact that I don't want to risk an XTG pass, I'm pretty much committed to a good 1 pass (WTG) with the occasional 2nd (ATG) pass.
I'm still going through the same sample pack that I got a few years ago (yeah, that's how little I've been able to try due to the ingrowns as well as few lengthy periods of "I give up") and so far I'm really liking the Personna blues and 7 O'clocks. Got a 5-pack of Polsilver Super Iridiums (needed a small add-on to the get the free shipping) as well as a couple of Sharks and Feathers left from the sample pack.

I figure an adjustable on a mild setting and more frequent shaves may be the way to go for trial and error, so my newly acquired Rockwell 6s and Parker Variant will be put to the test over the next few days. Fingers cross.
Dec 11, 2009
465 posts
417 upvotes
New Westminster
Pottertons don't fear the XTG ("across the grain") pass. It is only marginally more risky than a WTG ("with the grain") pass. It is apparent to me that you are getting ingrown hairs because of ATG ("against the grain") passes.

ATG passes are notorious for causing ingrown hairs, due to how close they sever the whisker. In essence, the whisker is severed so close to the skin that it actually recedes below the skin line and is prone to getting trapped in there. The general consensus is that, if you are getting ingrown hairs, don't do ATG passes.
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
derekmcl wrote: Pottertons don't fear the XTG ("across the grain") pass. It is only marginally more risky than a WTG ("with the grain") pass. It is apparent to me that you are getting ingrown hairs because of ATG ("against the grain") passes.

ATG passes are notorious for causing ingrown hairs, due to how close they sever the whisker. In essence, the whisker is severed so close to the skin that it actually recedes below the skin line and is prone to getting trapped in there. The general consensus is that, if you are getting ingrown hairs, don't do ATG passes.
Wow. I really ought to proof read my posts before submitting them.
I completely twisted things. ATG and XTG have to be replaced with one another in my previous post.

Going from an WTG straight to an ATG would most definitely be asking for irritation.
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's some Rockwell 6C's kicking around at Winners. I doubt that they're heavily stocked, but I did spot one at the Oshawa, Ontario location.
20171208_103530.jpg
Can't go wrong for 30 bucks.
Nov 27, 2013
93 posts
83 upvotes
Westmount
Pottertons wrote: Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's some Rockwell 6C's kicking around at Winners. I doubt that they're heavily stocked, but I did spot one at the Oshawa, Ontario location.

20171208_103530.jpg

If someone comes across one of these in the Montreal area, let me know!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
Pottertons wrote: Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's some Rockwell 6C's kicking around at Winners. I doubt that they're heavily stocked, but I did spot one at the Oshawa, Ontario location.

20171208_103530.jpg

Excellent thanks for the heads up, if anyone sees these in the GTA west please post back
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough

20171208_103530.jpg

Interesting find!
I have noticed some generic DE shave sets with bowls and brushes, but a rockwell...I gotta go look again :)
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
pnyknights wrote: Interesting find!
I have noticed some generic DE shave sets with bowls and brushes, but a rockwell...I gotta go look again :)
yep. Unfortunately, they were very sparse throughout Canada. I imagine that word did catch on pretty quickly though because I went back the next day and it was gone. Plus a few members of the 'Canadian Wetshavers" facebook group were also able to pick some up.
Aug 27, 2004
768 posts
198 upvotes
Cyberspace

20171208_103530.jpg

True!
Missed this deal but got my 6C in the mail yesterday and shaved this morning with it.
Hopefully not a post purchase rationalization but I like it very much compared to the cheapy Lord I was using until now.
I also purchased the synthetic brush from them. I like it.
Rockwell has a 10% off discount code: PAINFREE
Aspiring Old Guy
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2010
1072 posts
306 upvotes
New user to safety razors, a family member got me a cheap handle and a razor so I can try n see if I really like it and want to get into it. I do like it...but I guess my technique is so horrible that it's putting me off, not to mention the blade is rusting like nothin....so, what is the best and recommended handle for a beginner?
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
freetrade wrote: New user to safety razors, a family member got me a cheap handle and a razor so I can try n see if I really like it and want to get into it. I do like it...but I guess my technique is so horrible that it's putting me off, not to mention the blade is rusting like nothin....so, what is the best and recommended handle for a beginner?
get yourself a Merkur 34C HD and read up on the 3 pass method for shaving with a double edge razor
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2010
1072 posts
306 upvotes
blexann wrote: get yourself a Merkur 34C HD and read up on the 3 pass method for shaving with a double edge razor
Thanks! I got up the point of Merkur 34C, I actually keep a trimmed beard and only clean the neck n line up the cheeks...is it still worth it? I suppose I can't use the ol' gel based foaming to shave right?
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
freetrade wrote: Thanks! I got up the point of Merkur 34C, I actually keep a trimmed beard and only clean the neck n line up the cheeks...is it still worth it? I suppose I can't use the ol' gel based foaming to shave right?
In that case it may not be worth the effort if your only doing the neck line but I find those Mach 3's ...etc extremely expensive when your compare to DE shaving - like not even close so I guess in your case it would depend how far you can go with 1 cartridge. ...and yes you can use gel based cream to shave with a DE. DE shaving is more to do with prep and technique any way so you could use any type of shaving gel/cream and still get a good shave.
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
A rusty blade you say? YIKES! get rid of that for starters. :)

The merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89 will no doubt be the most suggested razor to consider.
Personally, I would recommend a Rockwell 2C or a 6c.
Roughly the same price but they have interchangeable plates which will allow you to find your own personal sweet spot for a great shave.

Also, the Rockwell razor's performance is exceptional and very user friendly. It shaves smoothly, is easy to find the right angle and has less blade feel in comparison to other razors; which comes in very handy when you're just learning the trade.

There's a million reviews and YouTube videos that you can check out and you'll be very hard pressed to find any with a negative opinion.

Soap/cream wise.....to keep things simple for a beginner, stop by a local shoppers drug mart and grab a tube (the cream) or tub (the soap) of Proraso. They're around the $10 mark.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2010
1072 posts
306 upvotes
blexann wrote:
In that case it may not be worth the effort if your only doing the neck line but I find those Mach 3's ...etc extremely expensive when your compare to DE shaving - like not even close so I guess in your case it would depend how far you can go with 1 cartridge. ...and yes you can use gel based cream to shave with a DE. DE shaving is more to do with prep and technique any way so you could use any type of shaving gel/cream and still get a good shave.
Thanks! Yeah no I have stretched as much as I can lol. I just picked up a Rockwell 2C....wish me luck!
Pottertons wrote: A rusty blade you say? YIKES! get rid of that for starters. :)

The merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89 will no doubt be the most suggested razor to consider.
Personally, I would recommend a Rockwell 2C or a 6c.
Roughly the same price but they have interchangeable plates which will allow you to find your own personal sweet spot for a great shave.

Also, the Rockwell razor's performance is exceptional and very user friendly. It shaves smoothly, is easy to find the right angle and has less blade feel in comparison to other razors; which comes in very handy when you're just learning the trade.

There's a million reviews and YouTube videos that you can check out and you'll be very hard pressed to find any with a negative opinion.

Soap/cream wise.....to keep things simple for a beginner, stop by a local shoppers drug mart and grab a tube (the cream) or tub (the soap) of Proraso. They're around the $10 mark.
Thanks! I ended up going with the Rockwell 2C! I have done some research in terms of use, traditionally with a catridge razor I have always shaved against the grain on my neck...but I guess that is not the method to begin with in DE? something to do with WTG then ATG (XTG being optional?)...I guess baby steps for me. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
freetrade wrote: something to do with WTG then ATG (XTG being optional?)...I guess baby steps for me. :)
For what it's worth I almost always do a three pass shave. If I just want a two pass I just go WTG and the XTG, I never go WTG and then ATG without doing XTG first, to much irritation for me otherwise.