Beauty & Wellness

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2017 11:46 am
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
Also tried these. Great classic scents you don't find just anywhere. Slick with good cushion.

Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1326 posts
314 upvotes
Aurora
AudiDude wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2016 11:26 am
Did you ever try the alum? I don't use aftershave balm, I only use moisturizer. I use the alum as a deoderant.
I am afraid of alum because of the potential risks of hastening cancer and dementia, which already run in my family.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
3731 posts
236 upvotes
Scarborough
JohnyBGood wrote:
Apr 5th, 2016 6:15 pm
I just ordered this chrome covered brass razor on KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... shaving-pe
ETA 1 year. Will have some pay add-ons, post campaign. Comes w/ 100 blades, a blade safe and possible additional freebies pending stretch goal.
Was looking at this as well
But I already bought a TTO around Christmas time which I have yet to use still :P
Still wouldn't mind trying an adjustable though.
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
JohnyBGood wrote:
Apr 4th, 2016 1:39 pm
I am afraid of alum because of the potential risks of hastening cancer and dementia, which already run in my family.
Here you go:
there is accounts of things like that, I agree.......but Here is what I found.......potassium alum molecules are charged making them too large to be absorbed therefore, it is safe.....now aluminum zirconium found in anti-perspirant is not safe because it is small enough to pass through cell walls and therefore absorbed and stored by the body.....and since that is used daily....there may be significant buildup...I do not use anti-perspirant....never have.....just plain ole deodorant for me.
1. Insoluble aluminum salt is deposited on the skin and within the pores of the underarm from the deodorant.
2. Sweat is absorbed by the aluminum salt, forming a gel -- water is trapped between aluminum salt molecules, the aluminum salt is not dissolved in the water.
3. The gel swells, blocking the pore.
4. The pore senses a pressure buildup and stops producing sweat until the plug is either washed out by the sweat in the pore or by bathing.

Other problems: [A+++] is an ion, not a radical. Free radicals are very reactive, which is why they're damaging in the body (especially oxygen radicals). Aluminum ions are not particularly reactive, and pose no oxidative danger that radicals pose.

Aluminum chlorohydrate and similar compounds are insoluble and poorly (if at all) absorbed.

The "physical plug" they seem to believe happens after the mythical "aluminum radical" is formed, which would be after the aluminum salt dissolves (which it doesn't), which would mean it can no longer form a physical plug.

Oh, and any of the alums (sodium aluminum sulfate, potassium aluminum sulfate, ammonium aluminum sulfate, and plain old ordinary aluminum sulfate) are all water soluble and readily absorbed. So if absorption were the problem, their product would be the curse, not the cure.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5025 posts
567 upvotes
Mississauga
My dad and my younger brother's supply of Denso cartridges is running out so we're getting safety razors instead.

Originally I was going to buy 2 Feather ones for under 25$, but a friend convinced me to get these instead.

http://www.italianbarber.com/products/r ... eel-handle

Anything I could do to sweeten the deal?

I was also looking I could find some sort of kit so I can store our shaving supplies separately.

P.S Edwin Jagger De89lbl has rust on it. What's the best way of cleaning it? I should probably dry off my razor after using it from now on.

EDIT
Bought 2 of these
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251876149357
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1640 posts
241 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Where can I pick up Proraso products in West GTA ?
Oct 10, 2004
684 posts
78 upvotes
Winnipeg
SDM has a limited stock of Proraso stuff.
Sep 30, 2008
616 posts
257 upvotes
Pickering
As someone who is very interested in making the switch from typical cartridge blades to wet shaving with a DE Razor but is a bit concerned about potentially cutting myself, is there a razor that RFDers would recommend for a complete noob to the art? I've seen quite a few mentioned in this thread already but wasn't sure if there are different types geared more towards experienced DE shavers vs. someone who is making a switch from cartridges. There are so many variations that I am a bit overwhelmed with the selection and really have no idea what to look for.

A few I see mentioned are Merkur 34 or 38c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. Would these be good choices?
Oct 10, 2004
684 posts
78 upvotes
Winnipeg
I won't comment on razors, but I will on blades. Get a sample pack, and be sure to try them all, just don't start with a Feather brand. They are unforgivingly sharp and require proper technique. Technique that comes only with dozens of shaves.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
3731 posts
236 upvotes
Scarborough
Phat$ wrote:
Jun 30th, 2016 1:09 pm
As someone who is very interested in making the switch from typical cartridge blades to wet shaving with a DE Razor but is a bit concerned about potentially cutting myself, is there a razor that RFDers would recommend for a complete noob to the art? I've seen quite a few mentioned in this thread already but wasn't sure if there are different types geared more towards experienced DE shavers vs. someone who is making a switch from cartridges. There are so many variations that I am a bit overwhelmed with the selection and really have no idea what to look for.

A few I see mentioned are Merkur 34 or 38c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. Would these be good choices?
+1 for the Merkur 34
It was out of stock actually when I first wanted to get it, so I got the Wilkinson from ItalianBarber, feels quite mild as well.
http://www.italianbarber.com/products/w ... fety-razor
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1326 posts
314 upvotes
Aurora
Phat$ wrote:
Jun 30th, 2016 1:09 pm
...concerned about potentially cutting myself...
You will cut yourself. DE shaving done right is irritation free, though, which in my opinion is the most important thing. Experience will drastically reduce cuts. The Merkur 23C was on sale and turned out to be nice and mild for me. Astra SP, or Personna Blue blades are very smooth on my skin. If you are on a budget, get a nice boar brush (you'll have to soak it for a few minutes, each time) and Nivea shave cream (in a tube). Plan for 2-3 passes, but don't be surprised if you only need 1. Watch some nickshaves YouTube videos (the kid is an actual surgeon)!
Sep 30, 2008
616 posts
257 upvotes
Pickering
Thanks for the tips about blades fellas. I ended up getting an Edwin Jagger DE89KN as I really like the handle on this model. It came with a pack of feather blades (can't remember what model but they were in a black package). From what I researched and from tips in this thread I realize this is not the blade for a new DE shaver like myself. I ended up grabbing a pack of Astra SP blades as well, hopefully this was a good choice. I'll be ordering a sample pack as well but will try the Astra blades for my first shave but am definitely open to suggestions/recommendations for a suitable 1st timer blade.

Should have the rest of my items in the next day or so and can't wait to try it all out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6091 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody here using the Rockwell 6S razor? I have never used an adjustable razor of any type but wonder if it might be an improvement over my existing razor which is Lord brand (cheap and cheerful, IIRC).