Beauty & Wellness

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2017 11:46 am
Apr 3, 2012
98 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I have started to shave for 4-5years now since i was in highschool and now that i am in my early 20s I have noticed that even shaving requires some sort of etiquette. So, i need all the pro and experienced men out there to help another man out.

Quick note on my skin. I have acne, my face is oily and sensitive. I read about the DE razors and its benefits so i got myself the Parker 99C DE razor about a month ago. Already noticed the benefits (smoother skin and less irritation). I need help with the pre and post shave.

What is the best pre-shave solution and treatment for ace , oily and sensitive skin? Is pre-shave oils necessary or shaving cream is sufficient?

What is the best post shave cream and/ lotion you use?

Please recommend me specific brands or products i really want my face to look proper (less redness, less irritated and less visible signs of acne due to ingrown hair).

Thanks everyone for your input in advance!
Sep 30, 2008
625 posts
260 upvotes
Pickering
I am a noob as well and just got my DE supplies a few days ago so I'm definitely not a pro or experienced so take my comments with a grain of salt.

When I was researching what to buy I came across two products that I purchased which are:

Musgo real glycerine lime oil soap (aka MR GLO) - some mention that they use it as a pre-shave and put the lather right on top but I will be using it as a cleanser/face wash prior to shaving. Bought mine online from Fendrihan.ca for $10.

Thayer's Witch Hazel - Witch hazel has many benefits for the skin and has been known to help heal and prevent acne. It was 12.99 + tax at Healthy Planet (various locations in the GTA). I bought the unscented version myself.

I'm sure some of the pros and more experienced fellas will chime in but thought I would share what I ended up buying after researching various products.
Oct 8, 2010
78 posts
11 upvotes
Any specialty stores in the GTA selling the high end soaps discussed in this thread? One of the sites I buy from stopped shipping. Local would be nice.
Sep 30, 2008
625 posts
260 upvotes
Pickering
bargainhunter99 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 2:48 am
Any specialty stores in the GTA selling the high end soaps discussed in this thread? One of the sites I buy from stopped shipping. Local would be nice.
Men's Essentials is located on the Danforth. I bought most of my supplies there and they have a pretty good selection.
Oct 15, 2009
219 posts
67 upvotes
Any advice on where to get a good, cheap strop? Doesn't have to be fancy
Oct 8, 2010
78 posts
11 upvotes
Phat$ wrote:
Jul 12th, 2016 9:49 am
Men's Essentials is located on the Danforth. I bought most of my supplies there and they have a pretty good selection.
Thanks just what I'm looking for. I'll check it out this week.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7563 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been slowly researching DE blades and handles.

Differences between DE blades and Gillette cartridges?

And what's a beginner to use? Are these dangerous for cuts or has technology improved in safety?

Thanks

I was looking at the merkur 34C for beginning?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
510 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 2:58 pm
I've been slowly researching DE blades and handles.

Differences between DE blades and Gillette cartridges?

And what's a beginner to use? Are these dangerous for cuts or has technology improved in safety?

Thanks

Quality wise, I'd say a good DE razor is comparable to Gillette's Proglide cartridges. Blades are obviously much cheaper.

Your best bet is to pick up a blade sampler pack and figure out what you like. You shouldn't have a problem with cuts.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7563 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm I am bit careless I must admit. Maybe I should second guess this.

Where are the blade samplers? And who knew blades were different. I assumed a blade is pretty much any blade.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
510 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 8:36 pm
Hmmm I am bit careless I must admit. Maybe I should second guess this.

Where are the blade samplers? And who knew blades were different. I assumed a blade is pretty much any blade.
Fendrihan, Amazon and I imagine most other places that sell blades will have sample packs.
https://www.fendrihan.com/products/70pc ... h-personna
https://www.amazon.ca/Double-Blade-Samp ... 004RWTRNI/

Blades are generally similar but not the same. Many people have their preferred brands.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1329 posts
317 upvotes
Aurora
trellaine201 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 2:58 pm
I'm also thinking about grabbing this based off of reviews (or the longer handled 38C...or the Edwin Jagger DE89), but I'm worried because I have sensitive skin and already find my supposedly mild 23C aggressive, at times (and the 34C is supposed to be slightly more aggressive)! I butcher my lips with the 23C, once in a while and recently even sliced open a small mole with it.

As for the blades, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the entire DE shaving community at large and recommend against a sampler pack. I find it very difficult to judge my equipment, if I don't use it consistently for months. Case in point, I hadn't used my TOBS for a VERY long time and was floored by the performance/quality on my last shave when I'd always considered it "nothing special". We already know the top 3-4 brands of blades (Astra SP, Personna, Gillette 7'Oclock SS & Feather). You're not Dora and there's no need to go exploring... Start off with smooth over sharp (like Astra SP) and enjoy. When I tried to go off the beaten path for razor (Dorco DE razor) & blades (Voskhod), I kicked myself for doing so... Try to keep it simple for 12 months.
Sep 30, 2008
625 posts
260 upvotes
Pickering
I'll share my personal experience as someone who just recently (2-3 weeks ago) started DE shaving and had many of the same concerns. To be honest, I was shocked at how smoothly everything went on my first shave. I was so worried about cutting myself up but have only had one minor nick around the adams apple but nothing serious at all, now I just manouver a bit more carefully in that area (which is a tricky spot for many, even experienced shavers) and have not had any issues since. I say go for it, make the switch, read up and research and just take it slow. You won't be able to speed shave at the beginning like they do is some videos you may see, you will need time to learn your technique but the time commitment will reduce as your technique improves which can only come with practice.

In case you are interested, these are the items I bought to get me started and I have been very happy with them so far, no complaints at all.

Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil Soap (aka MR GLO) - I use this as a face wash but some mention they use it kind of like a pre-shave where they apply the soap and put the lather right over it. I use it more as a face wash in the shower and rinse it off before applying lather. It is about the size of a hockey puck but thicker and I feel like this will last a long time.

Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
- I bought the barber handle version myself. This is a very low cost brush but it is highly rated and received very positive reviews from both experienced and new shavers, even from those who have or have used more expensive badger hair brushes. As someone who was just getting in to DE shaving I was not willing to drop major $ on a brush but I feel that you can't go wrong with this type of synthetic brush.

Edwin Jagger DE89KN Razor - The EJDE89 is a very common first razor, all the heads are the same in the DE89 line, only the handles are different. I preferred this particular handle myself as it felt great in the hand and had a nice grip to it. Very mild and forgiving which is why you often see if recommended as a first razor for those making the switch from cartridges.

Astra SP Blades - The DE89KN came with a pack of 5 Feather razors, my research and feedback from this thread confirmed that this is a very sharp (often referred to as one of the sharpest) blades out there and not a good choice for a noob like myself. Thanks to a recommendation from JohnnyBGood I bought a 5 pack of Astra SP blades and have been very happy with them thus far. Not sure if I will even try another type for now, will probably stick to the Astra SPs until my technique improves enough for me to feel confident trying something like the Feathers that came with the razor but will probably stick to the Astra SPs. If you really wanted to test blades, http://tryablade.com/samplers has sampler packs.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream - I saw this often mentioned as a popular cream so decided to give it a shot. I bowl lather as I also got an apothecary mug but you could just face lather or use an old mug or bowl you have laying around or just grab one from the dollar store or something.

Alum Block - My barber uses this after I get a straight razor shave so I was not new to this product but never used it myself. It helps soothe any razor burn and helps heal and small nicks or cuts. This I anticipate will last a very long time since you just wet it and rub it on your skin after shaving.

Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel - Withc Hazel has been used for centuries and has many known benefits for the skin. I got the unscented version myself since I could not test the scents in store and I use this kind of like an aftershave and splash a bit on my face after using the alum block and rinsing that off.

I hope this helps. I was very concerned about cutting myself and all that kind of stuff before I started but my concerns went away after the first shave. I would say go for it, I'm sure like me you will not regret it and will wonder what all the concerns was about and why you didn't start sooner.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1329 posts
317 upvotes
Aurora
patrickrfd wrote:
Nov 5th, 2015 3:28 pm
...For now, I am enjoying the 37C slant razor...
I just ordered a 37c clone, out of curiosity. Unfortunately, it comes with one of the only RazoRock handles that's not stainless steel: http://www.italianbarber.com/products/r ... sionshobel

I'm worried about cutting my face up, but I'm thinking of using it to clean-up stubble patches left on my neck to avoid 3rd passes. Now that I have some experience under my belt with this method of shaving, getting a smooth and fast "good" shave isn't enough...I'm now craving BBS.
Mar 5, 2008
340 posts
30 upvotes
oh man how have i been on RFD all these years and not seen this thread
i actually have never shaved with a cartridge before, when i first got into wetshaving, my close friend of mine wanted to me stop using electric foil shavers and try this instead

generally speaking my regular shave is

i use a feather asd2 that i got off massdrop for i think 100shipped cdn before that i used some butterfly clone from Fendrhian that was cheap and mild as i have sensitive skin under my jawline and neck area
I only have two brushes, a boar hair brush from Italian Barber, and a Silvertip Badgerhair from Whipped dog

stuff that i use on the regular though.

-Osma Alum
-the RazorRock knockoff of Martin de Candre Soap
-Taylor of old Bond Jermyn Street Soap
-Arko

in terms of blades i'll try new ones here and there, but the ones i really like the most are Feathers and the Gillettes from India (i love the really sharp blades the most)
i find the combo of really sharp blades, with a mild razor like the Feather SS make it REALLY easy to have ridiculously smooth shaves

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)