Beauty & Wellness

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2017 11:46 am
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1302 posts
16 upvotes
So, its been 1.5yrs since I started this and there is no turning back. For those who are on the fence and shave often don't hesitate and get yourself a razor and a few pack of blades.

For those who are still active in this thread, are there any other popular aftershaves (other than Lucky Tiger) you guys recommend?
Hybrid88 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2015 12:31 am
Good thread and thanks to all the posters here. Will see how the Edwin Jagger and Astra blades work out. I'm sure its gonna be better than paying a small fortune for the refill cartridges.
Sep 30, 2008
623 posts
259 upvotes
Pickering
Hybrid88 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 10:04 pm
So, its been 1.5yrs since I started this and there is no turning back. For those who are on the fence and shave often don't hesitate and get yourself a razor and a few pack of blades.

For those who are still active in this thread, are there any other popular aftershaves (other than Lucky Tiger) you guys recommend?
I completely agree with you, there is indeed no turning back. I have only been wet shaving for less than a year, maybe 8-9 months, and honestly wish I switched earlier and did not ponder on it for so long before making the jump. I also use the same equipment as you, an Edwin Jagger (DE89) and Astra SP blades.

As for aftershaves, I've actually been meaning to try out Lucky Tiger but have not had the chance yet. I currently use Thayers Witch Hazel or Nivea aftershave balm. Can't really recommend much beyond those as I have not tried others as yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1900 posts
283 upvotes
so using shaving Gel and Mech 3 Turbo , am I not a wet shaver?
Mech 3 one cartridge works almost 3 months for me ( I only shave on alternate days and skip the remaining one day so totoal 3 days a week) .
My dad uses that one blade shaving but burns as hell...... Mech 3 Turbo , you can't beat it.... I use no aftershave
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1327 posts
317 upvotes
Aurora
Asker123 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 3:20 pm
so using shaving Gel and Mech 3 Turbo , am I not a wet shaver?
Technically, you are not a wet shaver. I scoured the internet and you'd have to use a wet brush in your routine to be a wet shaver. And even then, most of us in this thread wouldn't consider you a wet shaver because you're not a TRADITIONAL wet shaver...
I have a soft/easy beard, like you, but I wouldn't look back...
Nov 26, 2016
33 posts
2 upvotes
What razor should I buy the disposable ones or the expensive gilette mach 3? i think its on sale at costco. There are also mid price ones. I want a long lasting shaver price wise what is the best one?
Sep 30, 2008
623 posts
259 upvotes
Pickering
ronnielarmond wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 8:57 pm
What razor should I buy the disposable ones or the expensive gilette mach 3? i think its on sale at costco. There are also mid price ones. I want a long lasting shaver price wise what is the best one?

Since this is a traditional wet shaving thread most in here would suggest you get a safety razor and not bother with disposables or the mach 3s etc. There is a deal posted in hot deals that may be of interest to you. It is for a Dorco Prime Starter Set for about 17$ shipped

Last edited by Phat$ on Mar 29th, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
3985 posts
306 upvotes
Need a place to shop in Peel or downtown (financial core) any suggestions? I already have a merkur so just looking for brushes, soaps, alum..etc
I don't do downvotes.
Sep 30, 2008
623 posts
259 upvotes
Pickering
blexann wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 11:51 am
Need a place to shop in Peel or downtown (financial core) any suggestions? I already have a merkur so just looking for brushes, soaps, alum..etc
Not technically downtown (they are around Danforth & Chester) but worth the trip - https://www.menessentials.ca/pages/store-photos-1
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2579 posts
141 upvotes
Can anyone please recommend a good and cost effective stand for a razor, brush, and bowl? I currently have the razor (DE89, few days in and enjoying over cartridges) and would like to add a brush and bowl.

Will probably get the synthetic brush that's been recommended here (https://www.italianbarber.com/collectio ... ving-brush).
Jun 13, 2008
959 posts
116 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Smashy wrote:
May 11th, 2017 8:28 am
Can anyone please recommend a good and cost effective stand for a razor, brush, and bowl? I currently have the razor (DE89, few days in and enjoying over cartridges) and would like to add a brush and bowl.

Will probably get the synthetic brush that's been recommended here (https://www.italianbarber.com/collectio ... ving-brush).
Can't comment on the stand, but if you want to treat yourself to a top quality custom shaving brush, try Rudy Vey's brushes. I have ordered several off him over the years and they have been fantastic, you can tell him what type of brush, size, style, etc., and almost unlimited style of handle to go with it. His web site shows just a fraction of the styles available.
Jan 26, 2008
685 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
+1 for safety razors. I bought a Merkur razor. Clean shave, cheap replaceable blades, solid build quality.
Jun 13, 2008
959 posts
116 upvotes
Burlington, ON
vinkl wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:38 am
+1 for safety razors. I bought a Merkur razor. Clean shave, cheap replaceable blades, solid build quality.
Love the Merkur 37C, my daily driver :)
May 3, 2010
161 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Hope I'm not OT, but I have to say that shaving in the shower with L'Oreal 6 Essential Oils Conditioner as a lubricant is just NICE. And it's much more economical, versatile, and one less container in the shower rack/shelf. :-D
Take care,
Kam.

"Life in the Fast Lane is a short ride." #KamQuotes
May 2, 2011
715 posts
88 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Hybrid88 wrote:

I prefer the Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) shaving creams and aftershaves (gels over balms/splashes). They are not cheap, but last a long time. On the cheaper side, I have tried Clubman Pinaud, but not a huge fan.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
3739 posts
239 upvotes
Scarborough
Hybrid88 wrote:

richuwo11 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 10:58 am
I prefer the Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) shaving creams and aftershaves (gels over balms/splashes). They are not cheap, but last a long time. On the cheaper side, I have tried Clubman Pinaud, but not a huge fan.
I started with samples of TOBS creams, I like that they're softer than most soaps, easier to pluck a finger full and stick it on the brush

I also hear about Clubman A/S all the time, never tried it though, need to find a sample.
Everytime sample packs pop up they're always OOS before I can get to them

Stirling Soap aftershaves/balms and Mikey Lee Soapworks also has some fun scents
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b