Beauty & Wellness

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 2:02 am
Dec 11, 2009
62 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond
Pottertons don't fear the XTG ("across the grain") pass. It is only marginally more risky than a WTG ("with the grain") pass. It is apparent to me that you are getting ingrown hairs because of ATG ("against the grain") passes.

ATG passes are notorious for causing ingrown hairs, due to how close they sever the whisker. In essence, the whisker is severed so close to the skin that it actually recedes below the skin line and is prone to getting trapped in there. The general consensus is that, if you are getting ingrown hairs, don't do ATG passes.
Feb 13, 2009
367 posts
52 upvotes
derekmcl wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:58 pm
Pottertons don't fear the XTG ("across the grain") pass. It is only marginally more risky than a WTG ("with the grain") pass. It is apparent to me that you are getting ingrown hairs because of ATG ("against the grain") passes.

ATG passes are notorious for causing ingrown hairs, due to how close they sever the whisker. In essence, the whisker is severed so close to the skin that it actually recedes below the skin line and is prone to getting trapped in there. The general consensus is that, if you are getting ingrown hairs, don't do ATG passes.
Wow. I really ought to proof read my posts before submitting them.
I completely twisted things. ATG and XTG have to be replaced with one another in my previous post.

Going from an WTG straight to an ATG would most definitely be asking for irritation.
Feb 13, 2009
367 posts
52 upvotes
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's some Rockwell 6C's kicking around at Winners. I doubt that they're heavily stocked, but I did spot one at the Oshawa, Ontario location.
20171208_103530.jpg
Can't go wrong for 30 bucks.
Nov 27, 2013
19 posts
10 upvotes
Westmount
Pottertons wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:20 pm
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's some Rockwell 6C's kicking around at Winners. I doubt that they're heavily stocked, but I did spot one at the Oshawa, Ontario location.

20171208_103530.jpg

If someone comes across one of these in the Montreal area, let me know!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4674 posts
558 upvotes
Pottertons wrote:

20171208_103530.jpg

Excellent thanks for the heads up, if anyone sees these in the GTA west please post back
Come join the Crypto discussion :

https://chat.whatsapp.com/33kLOgl0JXD7GLH0N0tspk

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
3877 posts
284 upvotes
Scarborough
Pottertons wrote:

20171208_103530.jpg

Interesting find!
I have noticed some generic DE shave sets with bowls and brushes, but a rockwell...I gotta go look again :)
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b