Fashion & Beauty

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2018 6:25 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6296 posts
1088 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 9:20 am
For what it's worth I almost always do a three pass shave. If I just want a two pass I just go WTG and the XTG, I never go WTG and then ATG without doing XTG first, to much irritation for me otherwise.
Agree. The 3 pass works especially well for me as well - I do have sensitive skin and tend to get razor burn and bumps in the neck area. Prep is very important as well, I use Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Feb 1, 2010
355 posts
28 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 9:20 am
For what it's worth I almost always do a three pass shave. If I just want a two pass I just go WTG and the XTG, I never go WTG and then ATG without doing XTG first, to much irritation for me otherwise.
Understood! Will give it a shot.
blexann wrote:
May 15th, 2018 9:33 am
Agree. The 3 pass works especially well for me as well - I do have sensitive skin and tend to get razor burn and bumps in the neck area. Prep is very important as well, I use Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin.
I do have very sensitive skin yes so maybe I can go down this path and give it a shot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6296 posts
1088 upvotes
^ yes then the 3 pass method is for you, wont take long once you get the hang of it. Also, if your used to the traditional disposal razors with DE you wont need to press as hard, slight pressure along with the weight of the razor is all you will need. Practice.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Feb 13, 2009
418 posts
67 upvotes
blexann wrote:
May 15th, 2018 9:33 am
Ah yes....Jermyn street. Fantastic stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2670 posts
183 upvotes
Hey guys, I've been enjoying my first DE razor, the Edwin Jagger DE89 for a year or two now without ever cutting myself but would like something more aggressive. Lately I've had 2 shims in it but am still looking for smoother and I only like to shave WTG and XTG. Also finding a troublesome area to get smooth with this one is my upper lip, close to my nose.

Any suggestions between Merkur 34c/38c or Progress or Rockwell 6s/c or other? I'd like to keep the price under ~$50 like the DE89.

Thanks!
Last edited by Smashy on Jul 29th, 2018 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6296 posts
1088 upvotes
Smashy wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 8:50 am
Hey guys, I've been enjoying my first DE razor, the Edwin Jagger DE89 for a year or two now without ever cutting myself but would like something more aggressive. Lately I've had 2 shims in it but am still looking for smoother and I only like to shave WTG and XTG. Also finding a troublesome area to get smooth with this one is my upper lip, close to my nose.

Any suggestions between Merkur 34c/38c or Futur or other? I'd like to keep the price under ~$50 like the DE89.

Thanks!
I believe the Jagger is not adjustable, get yourself a Merkur 34c and try that. Only thing I don't like about that Merkur is you can't lock the adjustments, an alternative is the Rockwell 6c which had 6 distinct settings.
________

Feb 13, 2009
418 posts
67 upvotes
Smashy wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 8:50 am

Any suggestions between Merkur 34c/38c or Progress or Rockwell 6s/c or other? I'd like to keep the price under ~$50 like the DE89.

Thanks!
While I do feel that the Rockwell 6 series is a great option for an overall razor, I feel that it may not be what you're personally looking for.
For 1, the head is a little on the bulky side, so it wouldn't be any better for that tough-to-reach-spot that you mentioned. Secondly, you'd have to at least, double your budget in order to get one.

Based on personal experience a good option would be the Razorock Old Type Open Comb razor from Italian Barber.
I find this razor to be more efficient than the DE89 and it has a MUCH thinner head which makes it easier to get into tight spots. Plus, it falls comfortably into your budget which will allow for 2 options.

1) The full razor complete with a choice of 4 different handles at varying price points and of course, the head. Price for this option is either $19.58 or $26.11 CAD + tx & shipping. The difference in cost is based on the different handles on offer with 2 available for each price point.
RazoRock OLD TYPE open comb double edge safety razor

2) The Head only. Which you will be able to use with the handle of your EJ89. (I have both razors and just tried it for confirmation) This option will only run you $10.39 CAD +tx & shipping
Head only for the RazoRock OLD TYPE razor

While purchasing the head alone may seem like the more appealing offer, I'd highly recommend going for the $26.11 one with the 'radio knob handle'. Reason being is that, even with tax and shipping added to the initial cost, it still sits well within your budget and this particular handle is the nicest out of the 4 available. It is also heavier than the EJ89 handle, so this way, you can switch the 2 and try them out with either head to get a different feel with your shaves.

Hope this helps. :)
ImageImage
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2670 posts
183 upvotes
Pottertons wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 11:38 am
While I do feel that the Rockwell 6 series is a great option for an overall razor, I feel that it may not be what you're personally looking for.
For 1, the head is a little on the bulky side, so it wouldn't be any better for that tough-to-reach-spot that you mentioned. Secondly, you'd have to at least, double your budget in order to get one.

Based on personal experience a good option would be the Razorock Old Type Open Comb razor from Italian Barber.
I find this razor to be more efficient than the DE89 and it has a MUCH thinner head which makes it easier to get into tight spots. Plus, it falls comfortably into your budget which will allow for 2 options.

1) The full razor complete with a choice of 4 different handles at varying price points and of course, the head. Price for this option is either $19.58 or $26.11 CAD + tx & shipping. The difference in cost is based on the different handles on offer with 2 available for each price point.
RazoRock OLD TYPE open comb double edge safety razor

2) The Head only. Which you will be able to use with the handle of your EJ89. (I have both razors and just tried it for confirmation) This option will only run you $10.39 CAD +tx & shipping
Head only for the RazoRock OLD TYPE razor

While purchasing the head alone may seem like the more appealing offer, I'd highly recommend going for the $26.11 one with the 'radio knob handle'. Reason being is that, even with tax and shipping added to the initial cost, it still sits well within your budget and this particular handle is the nicest out of the 4 available. It is also heavier than the EJ89 handle, so this way, you can switch the 2 and try them out with either head to get a different feel with your shaves.

Hope this helps. :)
ImageImage
Pottertons, thank you very much for this recommendation! The radio knob handle version is currently Sold Out so I'm hoping it will be back in stock soon. I'd like to give it a try.
Feb 13, 2009
418 posts
67 upvotes
Oh crap. My apologies. I didn't check the stock level first. You could probably email them to see when they'll be getting more. Or subscribe to the email alert.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20269 posts
134592 upvotes
GTA
After years of paying for overpriced cartridges from various manufacturers (as well as having had a few electric shavers), I decided to give more traditional wet shaving a try. I had been planning to switch for a while, but the last straw for me was getting a rather deep cut with a cartridge razor. I thought to myself "I'm paying the premium for these so that I can get a fairly close and comfortable shave without having to be too careful, etc., but if I can get a cut like I had (and so easily), then what's the point"?

Due to having sensitive skin, I was a little hesitant to go straight into DE razors, so started doing some research and came across a small company called Supply. They sell a single edge razor (uses injector-style blades) that has had rave reviews (they were originally on Kickstarter):

In particular, the fact that many reviews mentioned ease of use, and nick/irritation-free shaves definitely appealed to me, so I bit the bullet and got one. Very impressed with it thus far. The blades are definitely more expensive than most DE blades, but considering how easy it is to use, how close the shaves are, lack of irritation etc., I don't have any issues with the cost. One definite plus point is that you are not forced into buying the blades from them (can order from Amazon, Fendrihan, etc.) Definitely was very easy to transition to from cartridge razors. Highly recommended for those looking to make the jump.

BTW, for those who may have missed it in Hot Deals, The Body Shop has excellent quality shave cream on sale for $3.00 (I swear by this stuff - they are clearing these out due to change of packaging):

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/men/s ... /p/p000930

It's amazing value for the dollar considering you can hardly even get the 'cheap stuff' at that price anymore.
Feb 13, 2009
418 posts
67 upvotes
Good post and yes, the switch to DE/SE wetshaving has proven to be much better by many.
If you haven't already, you should try some Proraso cream. You can get it at shoppers drug mart.
There's also a heck of a lot more options out there for soaps and creams. One of the best in the wetshaving community is made right here in Canada called 'Tallow + steel'

I've never tried the single edge razors before but I'm definitely looking into it. The 'Mongoose' is probably one of the highest rated ones out there along with the one you have.

If you're on Facebook, you should check out a group called Canadian wetshavers.
Be warned though, there's a lot of enabling going on. Lol
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4075 posts
339 upvotes
Scarborough
toguy wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 7:40 pm
After years of paying for overpriced cartridges from various manufacturers (as well as having had a few electric shavers), I decided to give more traditional wet shaving a try. I had been planning to switch for a while, but the last straw for me was getting a rather deep cut with a cartridge razor. I thought to myself "I'm paying the premium for these so that I can get a fairly close and comfortable shave without having to be too careful, etc., but if I can get a cut like I had (and so easily), then what's the point"?

Due to having sensitive skin, I was a little hesitant to go straight into DE razors, so started doing some research and came across a small company called Supply. They sell a single edge razor (uses injector-style blades) that has had rave reviews (they were originally on Kickstarter):

In particular, the fact that many reviews mentioned ease of use, and nick/irritation-free shaves definitely appealed to me, so I bit the bullet and got one. Very impressed with it thus far. The blades are definitely more expensive than most DE blades, but considering how easy it is to use, how close the shaves are, lack of irritation etc., I don't have any issues with the cost. One definite plus point is that you are not forced into buying the blades from them (can order from Amazon, Fendrihan, etc.) Definitely was very easy to transition to from cartridge razors. Highly recommended for those looking to make the jump.

BTW, for those who may have missed it in Hot Deals, The Body Shop has excellent quality shave cream on sale for $3.00 (I swear by this stuff - they are clearing these out due to change of packaging):

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/men/s ... /p/p000930

It's amazing value for the dollar considering you can hardly even get the 'cheap stuff' at that price anymore.
I still have one of Supply's IG or Kickstarter or something page bookmarked/open on chrome at home for "future" reading Face With Tears Of Joy
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6296 posts
1088 upvotes
ConceptPro wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:06 pm
where do you buy this stuff in canada
mensessentials
https://www.fendrihan.ca
Amazon
________

Feb 13, 2009
418 posts
67 upvotes
ConceptPro wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:06 pm
where do you buy this stuff in canada
blexann wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 2:26 pm

mensessentials
https://www.fendrihan.ca
Amazon
Unfortunately, Menessentials has been lacking badly since they closed their Brick & Mortar location in the GTA; which is a shame. It was great to be able to visit and actually sniff and hold stuff.
Fendrihan is decent but if you're looking for the top tier recommended selection then you have a few options....

1) Top Of the Chain Located in the Niagara region. Probably the go-to site for most Wetshavers. Especially in Canada. Fast shipping, excellent service and their stock is constantly replenished. They also get a lot of new releases sooner than most others. HIghly recommended. (Free shipping over $60.

2) Canadian Beard and Blade Another one with great selection and excellent service. Based in Alberta. Free shipping over $75

3) Stonefield Shave Company Excellent selection, service is top notch. Based in Alberta with free shipping for anywhere within the province. Free shipping over $50 for the rest of Canada.

4) Italian Barber Again, an extensive selection with quite a bit to offer that isn't available from the other sites. You can pretty much call them the official Razorock brand website as they specialize in that line. Which produces a lot of highly regarded hardware and software for the shaving community. You'll probably come across the name 'Razorock' a lot if you ever do some digging around the web for some items. Another product line that they seem to be heavily stocked with is 'Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements'. Italian Barber is based in Aurora....northern part of the Toronto area. Free shipping over $80

There are others for sure, but I'd definitely say that these 4 are the most go to sites.