Fashion & Beauty

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2018 6:25 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6280 posts
1078 upvotes
Pottertons wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 4:11 pm
Unfortunately, Menessentials has been lacking badly since they closed their Brick & Mortar location in the GTA; which is a shame. It was great to be able to visit and actually sniff and hold stuff.
Fendrihan is decent but if you're looking for the top tier recommended selection then you have a few options....

1) Top Of the Chain Located in the Niagara region. Probably the go-to site for most Wetshavers. Especially in Canada. Fast shipping, excellent service and their stock is constantly replenished. They also get a lot of new releases sooner than most others. HIghly recommended. (Free shipping over $60.

2) Canadian Beard and Blade Another one with great selection and excellent service. Based in Alberta. Free shipping over $75

3) Stonefield Shave Company Excellent selection, service is top notch. Based in Alberta with free shipping for anywhere within the province. Free shipping over $50 for the rest of Canada.

4) Italian Barber Again, an extensive selection with quite a bit to offer that isn't available from the other sites. You can pretty much call them the official Razorock brand website as they specialize in that line. Which produces a lot of highly regarded hardware and software for the shaving community. You'll probably come across the name 'Razorock' a lot if you ever do some digging around the web for some items. Another product line that they seem to be heavily stocked with is 'Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements'. Italian Barber is based in Aurora....northern part of the Toronto area. Free shipping over $80

There are others for sure, but I'd definitely say that these 4 are the most go to sites.
I'm always looking for new and interesting places to shop so thanks for posting this. Hard to beat Amazon though so I tend to get most of my stuff on there.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Feb 13, 2009
417 posts
67 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 4:57 pm
I'm always looking for new and interesting places to shop so thanks for posting this. Hard to beat Amazon though so I tend to get most of my stuff on there.
Fully agree with the Amazon statement. However, as far as wetshaving products go, the selection is extreeeeeeeemely limited. .com? you're good. .ca? not much at all.
Food for thought....the flat rate shipping isn't too bad on a couple of those sites either. I know Top Of The Chain is only about $5. So if you were to order a single/couple of items, you're not doing too much more damage to the wallet. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1599 posts
566 upvotes
Ontario
30 pages on shaving lol. I've been noticing Gillette's campaign announcing lower prices and buy American. Sorry "Gillette, that ship has sailed. Five years ago I found a low priced (okay cheap) disposable razor and bought so many that I have another ten years' shaving before I use them all. I prefer keeping two on the go, and letting one sit in hot water while I use the other and then alternating. Gillette was greedy and caused me a couple years of bad shaves because I wouldn't pay their prices, and now they will never have me back.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2670 posts
183 upvotes
Pottertons wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 4:49 pm
Oh crap. My apologies. I didn't check the stock level first. You could probably email them to see when they'll be getting more. Or subscribe to the email alert.
Just reporting back, the RazoRock OLD TYPE Open Comb DE Safety Razor with Radio Knob Handle finally came back in stock a few weeks ago and I bought one. I really like it and it find it so much more satisfying to shave with than the Edwin Jagger DE89 that I was using (with 1-2 shims). I think the open comb and less bulky head on this RazoRock Old Type helps me get the job done really nicely. I also really enjoy the radio knob handle and the overall weightiness of this razor. Thanks again for the recommendation, Pottertons!

I highly recommend this razor to anyone pretty new to wet shaving!
Feb 13, 2009
417 posts
67 upvotes
Smashy wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 10:56 am
Just reporting back, the RazoRock OLD TYPE Open Comb DE Safety Razor with Radio Knob Handle finally came back in stock a few weeks ago and I bought one. I really like it and it find it so much more satisfying to shave with than the Edwin Jagger DE89 that I was using (with 1-2 shims). I think the open comb and less bulky head on this RazoRock Old Type helps me get the job done really nicely. I also really enjoy the radio knob handle and the overall weightiness of this razor. Thanks again for the recommendation, Pottertons!

I highly recommend this razor to anyone pretty new to wet shaving!
Nice. That's great to hear and glad I could help.
If you're ever looking for some soaps, there's an artisan from Ontario called 'Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials. Vey good stuff!!! and reasonably priced at $18/tub or you can get just the Puck for $12 :) Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2670 posts
183 upvotes
Pottertons wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 8:49 am
Nice. That's great to hear and glad I could help.
If you're ever looking for some soaps, there's an artisan from Ontario called 'Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials. Vey good stuff!!! and reasonably priced at $18/tub or you can get just the Puck for $12 :) Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials
I browsed around but am still wondering - is shipping included or how much is it? Or pickup from where?
Feb 12, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Hello All,
I have heard of a Canadian-made shaving cream called 'J.M. FRASER'S SHAVING CREAM', but I can't find it in store. There are a few online retailers with it in stock, but it seems as if the prices are inflated because they're importing from Canada to the US.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!