• Jul 11th, 2017 8:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 30, 2016
14 posts
5 upvotes

RFDer + marathons?

Hey, anybody here ever run a marathon before?

Ive been training for a marathon for 4 months now, and I was thinking of running in the Scotiabank Marathon... turns out its more than 100 $ to participate, which was slightly more than i thought it was/was prepared to pay :P
I'm really cheap and now I don't want to do the marathon :-( How can I mentally justify the cost?
5 replies
Sep 2, 2005
66 posts
1 upvote
Are we talking about 42.2km?

I ran Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (full) before. $100 - 120 entrance fee is pretty much standard for marathons in GTA. (If you are doing Chicaga, NYC then it's easily $400 entrance fee.)

Before you register, you can choose a non-profit organization to raise fund for. Register at the "Official Charities" page. They will usually send you a discount code or if you raise a certain amount, you get free registration.

The MEC race series is a no frills choice with marathon distance. BUT there are no MEDALS!!!! I don't know about you but running 42 freaking point 2 km I deserve a big medal.

Also smaller races may mean less/disorganized water stations and less runners and crowd for support. There were some lonely stretches on STWM full. The support from other runners and crowd became very important when I was struggling.

A race closer to home also means friends and families can wait for you on-course or at the finish. They can grab you freebies which will be gone and taken by all the half marathoners.
STWM is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) races and it is very organized. Your experience is well worth it.

And I also justify paying more closer to the race than paying less, but ended up withdrawing due to injury. Injuries are more likely for long distance. Some races don't allow transferring the bib. (I lost $20 transferring my bib for Around the Bay.)

Hope you have fun training and have a good race! Don't spend too much at the expo. (STWM expo had good deals in the past.)
Jul 29, 2006
616 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
....life needs more green lights.
Jul 13, 2008
31 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
Hey :)

I am glad you want to run the Marathon. If you don't mind running for a team and want to run for a good cause. Epilepsy Toronto has a marathon team. We will cover the entrance fee message me back if you are interested.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2016
14 posts
5 upvotes
frvanilla wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:38 am
Are we talking about 42.2km?

I ran Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (full) before. $100 - 120 entrance fee is pretty much standard for marathons in GTA. (If you are doing Chicaga, NYC then it's easily $400 entrance fee.)

Before you register, you can choose a non-profit organization to raise fund for. Register at the "Official Charities" page. They will usually send you a discount code or if you raise a certain amount, you get free registration.

The MEC race series is a no frills choice with marathon distance. BUT there are no MEDALS!!!! I don't know about you but running 42 freaking point 2 km I deserve a big medal.

Also smaller races may mean less/disorganized water stations and less runners and crowd for support. There were some lonely stretches on STWM full. The support from other runners and crowd became very important when I was struggling.

A race closer to home also means friends and families can wait for you on-course or at the finish. They can grab you freebies which will be gone and taken by all the half marathoners.
STWM is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) races and it is very organized. Your experience is well worth it.

And I also justify paying more closer to the race than paying less, but ended up withdrawing due to injury. Injuries are more likely for long distance. Some races don't allow transferring the bib. (I lost $20 transferring my bib for Around the Bay.)

Hope you have fun training and have a good race! Don't spend too much at the expo. (STWM expo had good deals in the past.)
thanks so much for your detailed and informative post! makes me feel a little better about the price I'll be paying :-)