• Aug 11th, 2017 11:17 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 30, 2016
16 posts
7 upvotes

RFDer + marathons?

Hey, anybody here ever run a marathon before?

Ive been training for a marathon for 4 months now, and I was thinking of running in the Scotiabank Marathon... turns out its more than 100 $ to participate, which was slightly more than i thought it was/was prepared to pay :P
I'm really cheap and now I don't want to do the marathon :-( How can I mentally justify the cost?
12 replies
Sep 2, 2005
83 posts
4 upvotes
Are we talking about 42.2km?

I ran Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (full) before. $100 - 120 entrance fee is pretty much standard for marathons in GTA. (If you are doing Chicaga, NYC then it's easily $400 entrance fee.)

Before you register, you can choose a non-profit organization to raise fund for. Register at the "Official Charities" page. They will usually send you a discount code or if you raise a certain amount, you get free registration.

The MEC race series is a no frills choice with marathon distance. BUT there are no MEDALS!!!! I don't know about you but running 42 freaking point 2 km I deserve a big medal.

Also smaller races may mean less/disorganized water stations and less runners and crowd for support. There were some lonely stretches on STWM full. The support from other runners and crowd became very important when I was struggling.

A race closer to home also means friends and families can wait for you on-course or at the finish. They can grab you freebies which will be gone and taken by all the half marathoners.
STWM is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) races and it is very organized. Your experience is well worth it.

And I also justify paying more closer to the race than paying less, but ended up withdrawing due to injury. Injuries are more likely for long distance. Some races don't allow transferring the bib. (I lost $20 transferring my bib for Around the Bay.)

Hope you have fun training and have a good race! Don't spend too much at the expo. (STWM expo had good deals in the past.)
Jul 29, 2006
620 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
....life needs more green lights.
Jul 13, 2008
34 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hey :)

I am glad you want to run the Marathon. If you don't mind running for a team and want to run for a good cause. Epilepsy Toronto has a marathon team. We will cover the entrance fee message me back if you are interested.
[OP]
Jun 30, 2016
16 posts
7 upvotes
frvanilla wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:38 am
Are we talking about 42.2km?

I ran Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (full) before. $100 - 120 entrance fee is pretty much standard for marathons in GTA. (If you are doing Chicaga, NYC then it's easily $400 entrance fee.)

Before you register, you can choose a non-profit organization to raise fund for. Register at the "Official Charities" page. They will usually send you a discount code or if you raise a certain amount, you get free registration.

The MEC race series is a no frills choice with marathon distance. BUT there are no MEDALS!!!! I don't know about you but running 42 freaking point 2 km I deserve a big medal.

Also smaller races may mean less/disorganized water stations and less runners and crowd for support. There were some lonely stretches on STWM full. The support from other runners and crowd became very important when I was struggling.

A race closer to home also means friends and families can wait for you on-course or at the finish. They can grab you freebies which will be gone and taken by all the half marathoners.
STWM is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) races and it is very organized. Your experience is well worth it.

And I also justify paying more closer to the race than paying less, but ended up withdrawing due to injury. Injuries are more likely for long distance. Some races don't allow transferring the bib. (I lost $20 transferring my bib for Around the Bay.)

Hope you have fun training and have a good race! Don't spend too much at the expo. (STWM expo had good deals in the past.)
thanks so much for your detailed and informative post! makes me feel a little better about the price I'll be paying :-)
Nov 16, 2013
81 posts
15 upvotes
Qu
I did my first marathon in June in Laval. It's called the Marathon des pompiers (raises funds for fire fighters) and it costed something like 45$. Awesome price, pretty decent scenery and well organized if your in town next year.

MEC organizes some cheap races as well, it's worth checking. Some trail races tend to be cheaper as well.

If you can afford it, I think it's a great experience. I don't really thinking paying to run a short race is worth it unless you're just starting out or your competitive, but it's worth it for a marathon. You will never run a full marathon in your best time in practice and it's a great event to build up to. It's nice having hydration stations and bathrooms along the way and other runners around you as well.

Good luck!!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3171 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
I am fairly new to running - only laced up for the first time a little under 5 years ago. Since then, I've done a handful of 5ks and 10ks, 5 half-marathons and 4 marathons - my first just last spring. I ran last year's STWM in the heat and humidity, this May's Toronto Goodlife Fitness Marathon, and the 2016 and 2017 Ottawa Race Weekend marathons. (yes, I ran two marathons this May - and I know this is not recommended so please no flames... Winking Face ). So, I've done 2 world-class calibre marathons (one twice) and one that was just okay.

I will say this about a world-class calibre race - it is an event and, as a runner, it is for you. A well run race is a wonderful experience to be part of. The STWM is one of those - from the race expo and the starting corral to the finishers zone, the STWM is worth every penny. And, if we adequately prepare, the entry fee works out to something like $1 for every hour of training - a paltry sum for such a reward at the end of months of training.

I will contrast this with the Goodlife race I ran a couple of months ago as I would only recommend this race to a local whose training was peaking around that time and didn't want to shell out the bucks to go to a well-run race like the Ottawa Race Weekend. The entry fee for the Goodlife race was about the same as STWM but seriously there is zero comparison.

If your training brings you there, run the STWM - I may see you there.

Happy trails!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2540 posts
246 upvotes
Vancouver
Also part of the sign-up costs for a marathon is you're paying for the city permits for the road closures on the route and cops directing traffic, etc. For me personally it's worth being able to run on a road course without having to worry about cars and having the whole width of the road to enjoy something you typically wouldn't have open access to (without cars). Oh and the water stations are usually well stocked with either water or sports drinks. In the Scotia half marathon that I did last year, there were stations handing out energy gels also, which was handy.

MEC races are typically smaller like another poster mentioned. They are also mostly on a more confined stretch of space which usually involves an out and back. For me personally, that is pretty tedious and gets boring. I like a race route that takes me throughout the city.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1293 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Run one in your lifetime, but you have to want to do it. I know you're an RDFer, but $100 is nothing for an item to cross off your bucket list .

I've run 4 marathons in my life, 3 in Toronto plus New York. The experience I had running through the boroughs of NY with crowds 10 deep cheering is something I'll never forget. Sadly, here in Toronto, marathons are often viewed as a nuisance because drivers have to put up with road closures.