• May 10th, 2018 3:23 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
158 posts
22 upvotes

RFD's Dragon's Den

I am not sure if there is a similar thread here, but the idea is to pitch a business proposal and have it ripped apart by others (what could go wrong, what is the potential, common pitfalls, why it could work, why it wouldn't work).
I know some of you might not want to disclose your proposal in detail, but can state them at high level without giving out too much information.

Ok I'll start - A tea shop in downtown. How I'd differentiate it from plethora of other coffee/tea shops? Err, a unique type of tea which may or may not be palatable to everyone.
2 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10183 posts
1027 upvotes
What do these things have in common?
Jollibee
Cheesecake Factory
Uncle Tetsu's
Food truck events

Some random foreign food item(s), long lines and disappointment. How can this be capitalized? Say hello to "Hype Train" . The newest most unique restaurant to ever open in Toronto and will feature:

Long wait times: People in the GTA LOVE waiting in lines. At those food truck events, people actually pay money so they can wait in line multiple times. The longer the wait time the better. So even if there are tables open, every guest will have to wait a guaranteed minimum of 2 hours to be seated.
Random foreign food items: To keep up with what's trending every month the menu will be overhauled to whatever is popular... be it large over priced entrees, ketchup spaghetti or sponge cake.
And finally disappointment: Our food be authentically the same as the disappointment found at other places... in fact, we'll crank up the disappointment by replaying game 7 between the Leafs and Bruins and game 4 between the Raptors and Cavs while you wait in line!

Also I did a study and found that taking photos of food is by far the most popular pre-meal ritual. It's miles ahead of both praying and washing hands. So free wifi, charging docks and adjustable overhead light (to give the best possible photos) at every table, the food may not be the best, but it gives you the chance to take as many pictures of your meal for Facebook and Instagram.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
158 posts
22 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
May 10th, 2018 1:07 pm
What do these things have in common?
Jollibee
Cheesecake Factory
Uncle Tetsu's
Food truck events

Some random foreign food item(s), long lines and disappointment. How can this be capitalized? Say hello to "Hype Train" . The newest most unique restaurant to ever open in Toronto and will feature:

Long wait times: People in the GTA LOVE waiting in lines. At those food truck events, people actually pay money so they can wait in line multiple times. The longer the wait time the better. So even if there are tables open, every guest will have to wait a guaranteed minimum of 2 hours to be seated.
Random foreign food items: To keep up with what's trending every month the menu will be overhauled to whatever is popular... be it large over priced entrees, ketchup spaghetti or sponge cake.
And finally disappointment: Our food be authentically the same as the disappointment found at other places... in fact, we'll crank up the disappointment by replaying game 7 between the Leafs and Bruins and game 4 between the Raptors and Cavs while you wait in line!

Also I did a study and found that taking photos of food is by far the most popular pre-meal ritual. It's miles ahead of both praying and washing hands. So free wifi, charging docks and adjustable overhead light (to give the best possible photos) at every table, the food may not be the best, but it gives you the chance to take as many pictures of your meal for Facebook and Instagram.
Random foreign food item - check
Long wait times - check (the tea takes an exorbitant amount of brewing to turn out right) so wait times are guaranteed...I can create bottlenecks to extend wait times even longer than required
Food item overhaul - hmm ok that one is tough to do. I got only one product to sell and it goes well with nothing but maybe a biscotti or two.
Disappointment - almost 95% guarantee that the tea will be a disappointment as I suspect its an acquired taste
Social Media Friendly - CHECK!!! that's the main reason to launch the tea shop, because the photos are guaranteed to be instagram-worthy.

So a nifty/insta-inspired shop in downtown, excessive hype through social media, disappointing taste, long lines up to capitalize on FOMO can make my tea shop an instant "flash in the pan", but how do I make them keep coming back for more disappointment?

Uncle Testu's product is not too shabby, honestly. After every cake you vow not to eat another for a few months, you stick to it and then one day you get the whiff of the cake again and next thing you know you are back in the line up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)