• Nov 14th, 2017 10:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
686 posts
35 upvotes

Rhino Central Vacuum - any good?

Costco has this central vacuum on sale until Nov 1, 2015. Does anyone know about this brand?
There wasn't much info via google search but at $389, it seems like a great deal.

http://www.costco.ca/.product.100228460 ... ItemViewCP

www.costco.ca
Item #1103799

Price Reduction from 10/19/15 to 11/01/15.

Online Price$489.99
Less-$100.00
Your Price$389.99

The Rhino deluxe central vacuum offers 600 airwatts with a powerful electric brush roll power head for efficient cleaning of your home. This complete package includes all necessary accessories to clean hard floors, carpeted areas and furniture. Includes flexible connection hoses to ensure very easy installation to your existing central vacuum.

Features:
600 airwatts of power
For homes up to 743.22 sq. m (8000 sq ft.)
Powerful Amatek 13.8 A / 120 V motor
Metal body with resistant plastic pail
Large 15 L (15.9 qt.) pail
All dust and debris is collected in an easy to remove and dispose HEPA paper bag, reducing airborne dust
Exhaust silencer for quiet operation
Master power on/off switch on power unit
Designed for residential use only
House vacuum plumbing not included

Includes:
2 flexible installation hoses
1 union connector and hardware
Extra long 9.1 m (30 ft.) hose with on / off control and brush roll on / off control on handset
Electric power head brush with lighting for dark areas
Metal telescopic wand with quick connect for electric brush
Suction dust mop with microfiber
Compact turbo air carpet brush for staircase
Hard floor brush with horse hair
Compact upholstery brush for furniture
Horse hair dusting brush
1 metal telescopic wand for non power accessories
Flexible 61 cm (24 in.) crevice tool
Wall mount bracket for hose
1 HEPA collector paper bag

Specifications:
Dimensions (L x W x H):
91.4 cm x 30.5 cm x 30.5 cm (36 in. x 12 in. x 12 in.)
Weight: 12.2 kg (27 lb.)

Warranty:
10 year warranty on all components of the power unit
3 years on labour for all components of the power unit
3 year warranty on hose and accessories

Model: KITRHINOEL
29 replies
Jan 23, 2015
479 posts
110 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I'm not familiar with the brand. But the heart of any Vacuum system is the motor. This unit is using a Ametek Lamb motor with the Tangential Bypass, which is in my opinion the best you can get.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4615 posts
2421 upvotes
Don't know about that particular model but Rhinovac are rebranded Canavac and are generally very good units. Good motors, metal housing, etc.

Research Canavac for more info.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
686 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16450 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
Not a bad price. just ordered it since my old unit is on it's last legs.

Is swapping out the unit a DIY job?
Jan 23, 2015
479 posts
110 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
mr_raider wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 6:10 pm
Is swapping out the unit a DIY job?
Yes, very easy to do if you're handy!
[OP]
Aug 25, 2005
686 posts
35 upvotes
Bianco13 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 7:06 pm
Yes, very easy to do if you're handy!
Yes, I've installed them in the past. You may need to get some pipe but if you've done basic plumbing, it should be pretty easy to do.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4314 posts
344 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
fdl wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 11:32 am
Don't know about that particular model but Rhinovac are rebranded Canavac and are generally very good units. Good motors, metal housing, etc.

Research Canavac for more info.
The Hoovers were OEM'ed by Canavac too, but they were terrible. Canavac actually said they were terrible, but they were made to what Hoover wanted.

Canavac branded machines are fantastic.

And yes, by-pass motors are much better than flow-through.

Also note, Airwatts means absolutely nothing in the real world of suction power. Go by inches of water lift, that actually tests the suction power under load.

* Disclosure: I am a Canavac dealer.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Mar 7, 2007
159 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Bianco13 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2015 8:12 am
I'm not familiar with the brand. But the heart of any Vacuum system is the motor. This unit is using a Ametek Lamb motor with the Tangential Bypass, which is in my opinion the best you can get.
I know it's an old thread but wanted to update everyone on rhinovac. Ordered from Costco.ca and very surprisingly it arrived the very next day in a crappy box. Opened and found many accessories and parts missing although everything was still in plastic packaging. Missing parts were wall mounting kit, muffler and an attachment. Called Costco and they said thy do not see muffler or wall mount kit in the list of accessories that come in the box so I asked them to look at the picture which clearly shows the muffler and I also mentioned that a wall mount kit is part of the "hardware" mentioned in the list. I was given the number of the vendor "Johnny Vac" and was asked to call them to figure the missing parts issue. I have to pay again asking the installer to come back after I get the missing parts (if successful).

Looking at the actual unit, I had my doubts and opened up the top cover to see the motor and found it to be ametek but it's not a bypass motor. It's a flow through motor "MOT-209" or 122288-08 assembled in Mexico.
Nov 2, 2010
236 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
Costco has this unit on sale again at $389. Debating on whether to get this unit or ante up for the Husky Storm which is also on Sale but $200 more. This will be my first central vac so I really don't know much about them. Plan to set it up in my basement that I am finishing so a quieter unit is preferred. I can't find the noise level of the Rhino, the Husky is rated at 63 db. Comments or opinions are much appreciated.
Thanks Philer.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16450 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
I've had mine for 4 months now and it works fine. Our house is around 3200 sq feet.

Anyone know where to get replacement bags for this thing. The package had a jonnyvac flyer in it.
May 12, 2016
1 posts
This central vac has a 600 air watt flow through motor
And won't last more than more than 5 years if your lucky ... These motors use one fan only and over heat
Easily .. Hence why they're so cheap to buy.
Hi suction cheap price don't last
May 22, 2017
1 posts
I know, its a very old thread. I am considering buying Rhino central vacuum from Costco.ca
I would appreciate if someone who is using this system can provide review on this.
Sep 4, 2017
1 posts
I had the same question and did some research.
Rihnovac is made by the same company which manufactures CanaVac, so I am sure these machines will be good. It comes with 10 years of warranty on motor which is good as compared to other manufacturers. Also the motor which is used in the machine is a by-pass motor which gives better performance than typical flow through motor.
Costco has great return policy, I will go ahead with the purchase and give it a shot.