Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 27, 2008
100 posts
21 upvotes

Richmond Vancouver Class 5 Road Test, need some pointers

Hi everyone,
I'm taking the road test in Richmond Vancouver a week from now. Been holding off on this test for the longest time.
Are there anything I should watch out for in the Richmond area? Which schools? Which Highways? "No right turn on red"? "No left turn without left turn signal"?

Some other questions I have is the notion of shoulder checking. During my class 7 tests years ago, I was told to shoulder check when I make a left turn which always seemed very pointless. Is it really required?

Any info on these would be very helpful and appreciated.
Thanks!
8 replies
Sep 14, 2009
338 posts
9 upvotes
no you don't need to shoulder check on left turn at interceptions
you probably do if you're in the inner streets. but i don't remember testing these in class 5.

just drive smoothly at a constant speed.
watch your speed when you're coming down a slope.
there's one near the airport area.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2008
100 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks for the tips.

Are there slope in Richmond? I'm only really familiar with No3 down to Richmond Center from Oak bridge. The other parts I'm still unfamiliar. I'll be scouting around this weekend to familiarize myself. Some online posts had suggested that there's an intersection in Richmond well known for testers to take you to where there's no right turn on red, does anyone know where this is?

The part near the Airport? How close to the Airport is it?
[OP]
Jul 27, 2008
100 posts
21 upvotes
Also, I have the habit of letting the driving wheel slide back gradually after a turn instead of the hand over gestures, is this okay during exams?
Nov 2, 2006
842 posts
15 upvotes
okevino wrote:
Nov 17th, 2010 8:25 pm
no you don't need to shoulder check on left turn at interceptions
you probably do if you're in the inner streets. but i don't remember testing these in class 5.

just drive smoothly at a constant speed.
watch your speed when you're coming down a slope.
there's one near the airport area.

actually you're supposed to shoulder check (to your left) on left turn at intersections. not shoulder check for cars, but a glance over to see if anyone is crossing the street from that side.
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
Kaiyoti wrote:
Nov 18th, 2010 2:28 pm
Also, I have the habit of letting the driving wheel slide back gradually after a turn instead of the hand over gestures, is this okay during exams?

yeah should be fine, at Class 5, its also ok to drive with 1 hand (because your suppose to be a more experience driver) but no one ever dares to try it.
Just take it calm, drive sensibly, do some nice shoulder checking. Get your list of things to say ready in your mind, you'll be doing it while you're driving in probably an inner street.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2008
100 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks for all the helpful tips.

Another quick question, after scouting out Richmond, I noticed there were some schools without school zone signs, mostly high schools. Am I still required to slow down to 30km/h?
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
Kaiyoti wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2010 9:35 pm
Thanks for all the helpful tips.

Another quick question, after scouting out Richmond, I noticed there were some schools without school zone signs, mostly high schools. Am I still required to slow down to 30km/h?

Depends on which schools, if you cant see any signs or play area where they advise slower speeds, you can go 50. I know the high school nearby does not have the 30km/h area sign.

I dont believe you go into high school zones that require slow down for the routes I took when I got my Class5 but things may have changed since.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2008
100 posts
21 upvotes
I had a really easy test, but I failed because I sped in construction zone. Carelessness on my part.

This was my route if anyone is interested. There's a HOV lane after gilbert bridge that's a bit tricky when changing lanes.
Odds are, route will be different next time... But I was a bit skeptical what people meant when they said "Class 5 is just driving around", now I see why. Anyway, thanks for the tips, unfortunately richmond is all booked out until Jan :( , i'll see if I can try to get a standby test.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 5&t=h&z=15
× < >