Students

Locked: Ridiculous course/teacher at Seneca College. Fred Galang.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2014 9:09 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 16, 2014
128 posts
11 upvotes
Markham, ON
this is getting really interesting now :cheesygri
Mar 8, 2010
371 posts
38 upvotes
LMAO this thread got real spicy real quick :cheesygri
Aug 3, 2014
31 posts
Toronto, ON
FredGalang wrote: ...For the most part, you failed because you exerted an intellectual superiority over your peers and your teacher. ...
(The second last line of the third paragraph of the original post. )

This teacher deliberately failed me because I was the best in that class of *6* (not 8). He was making up excuses to fail me. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Stay away from this nutcase, Fred Galang! Don't ever take his class. Stay away from Seneca. Stay away from his high school, St. Elizabeth Catholic High School in the York region, as well.
Banned
Aug 8, 2014
86 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
antiaginglane wrote: I am actually very firmly stressing my point here. My art is NOT bad, even though I don't call myself an artist. It's not my profession, but that doesn't mean my art is bad.
antiaginglane wrote: Fred. Let me make this clear. Even though I take pride in my technical skills, I am *NOT* bad at art. I have taken many art-related courses at the post-secondary level for interest, for the same reason I was in your class, for interest. If you think that I am a "programmer" (as you call it) and therefore my art is bad, you are making a wrong assumption. I have very good artistic sense. Your art is unpleasant.
antiaginglane wrote: (The second last line of the third paragraph of the original post. )

This teacher deliberately failed me because I was the best in that class of *6* (not 8). He was making up excuses to fail me. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Stay away from this nutcase, Fred Galang! Don't ever take his class. Stay away from Seneca. Stay away from his high school, St. Elizabeth Catholic High School in the York region, as well.

From your blogs you didn't even make that "art", you just stole some wordpress themes which were made by someone else and claimed it as your own. So while we can't tell whether or not you are bad at art, we can clearly see that you are a self-absorbed narcissist and a thief
Aug 3, 2014
31 posts
Toronto, ON
arclite1 wrote: From your blogs you didn't even make that "art", you just stole some wordpress themes which were made by someone else and claimed it as your own. So while we can't tell whether or not you are bad at art, we can clearly see that you are a self-absorbed narcissist and a thief
That ridiculous teacher told us not to be heroic and buy a theme for $50. It was never a requirement of that course to draw our own theme. I made the recipe photos.

Besides, these two blogs were not products of his class. I started them for SMD101 before I took his class. Then I continued to add more recipes. I once asked him that I already had something up and running and if it was all right to turn those in, and he said yes. There was really not much to learn from him.

I am a victim in this case. And I am speaking up against unfair grading, and ridiculous teachers. I don't know why I have to fight you as well.
Jun 2, 2011
295 posts
55 upvotes
antiaginglane wrote: Ontario Graduate Certificate. Does it even mean anything?

These days, university graduates are told to downgrade to learn a trade skill at college level. Last year, there was a new graduate program called Social Media at Seneca College. So I took two evening courses just to see what it was about. SMD101, Social Media Strategy. I wouldn't give it 5 stars exactly, but at least I finished the course without problem. 7 people were enrolled (Markham campus) in the beginning. Only 4 were left by the end of the course.

SMD104, "Technical Skills for Social Media". This was the most ridiculous course I have ever taken in my life. It was taught by a high school art teacher, Fred Galang. The course was supposed to be for a graduate certificate for university graduates.

"Taught by experts from the industry"? Yeah right. This guy drew on the computer. He was not a technical expert. He did not even design his own webpage. He told us to buy a theme for $50 and put words and pictures into it. The rest of the course was about drawing stuff on photoshop, illustrator etc. He talked about writing webpages, but he didn't even show us how to use, say, Dreamweaver or something like that.

The worst part was the grading. He attacked the real tech people in his class for showing real "technical skills". All I did was go into the html code and added a picture. (He asked for a picture in the assignment. He said Tumblr was good because we could customize the html code.) So I customized the code and added a picture. I showed it to him. He did not even understand what I did. He panicked. Then he changed the grading criteria to include 100% on style and content, and 0% on technical skill. He used that as an excuse to give me a very low grade. He said my picture was ugly, my project name was nonsense, my topic was nonsense...

And then he made up all these excuses about how this course was about marketing... There was no marketing element in his course. I enrolled in this program to learn marketing. There was nothing about marketing in his course. The only thing he knew was to draw. (and his art wasn't even that good)

And this course was absolutely not about writing apps. The info session mentioned about writing an app, but it was not as advertised.

So stay away from this teacher. Stay away from this college. Don't take his classes. Don't even send your kids to his high school! This guy is nuts.
While I know nothing about you or this course, the course description/learning outcomes don't include anything about marketing. I see that you only wanted to "see what it was about" so you only took 2 classes but if you wanted to learn marketing why didnt you choose one of the courses that included marketing?
Aug 3, 2014
31 posts
Toronto, ON
Jasonn12 wrote: While I know nothing about you or this course, the course description/learning outcomes don't include anything about marketing. I see that you only wanted to "see what it was about" so you only took 2 classes but if you wanted to learn marketing why didnt you choose one of the courses that included marketing?
I only mentioned marketing because that ridiculous teacher said the course was about marketing. I was debating with him about my grade. He made this up. He said the course was about marketing.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2024 posts
1291 upvotes
arclite1 = fred's son?
Feb 5, 2004
979 posts
89 upvotes
Lets be honest here. The sites that you made are pretty bad on the creativity side of things. Even on technical merits they are poor, which hurts your arguments. On the other hand, Mr Galang coming on to a redflagdeals forum to verbally duke it out with a student is completely unprofessional and an embarrassing display of himself and the school he works for.

But even before considering this aftermath, his admission that you failed for the most part because of exhibiting an intellectual superiority is pretty ridiculous. A student should not be failed just because he/she is a jackass to other students and the teacher even if that teacher himself is a jackass.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
A prof and a student battling it out on RFD ... seen it all. hilarious.
Aug 3, 2014
31 posts
Toronto, ON
Financials wrote: A prof and a student battling it out on RFD ... seen it all. hilarious.
He is not a prof, just a teacher. a high school teacher. someone not qualified to teach in the first place. You have to see it to believe it.
Aug 3, 2014
31 posts
Toronto, ON
uddinf wrote: But even before considering this aftermath, his admission that you failed for the most part because of exhibiting an intellectual superiority is pretty ridiculous. A student should not be failed just because he/she is a jackass to other students and the teacher even if that teacher himself is a jackass.
You made it sound like I was a jackass. I was not. I simply showed my work to him. Then he panicked. Then he changed the grading criteria...
Feb 7, 2010
312 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
best. drama. ever.
Aug 3, 2014
31 posts
Toronto, ON
uddinf wrote: Lets be honest here. The sites that you made are pretty bad on the creativity side of things. Even on technical merits they are poor, which hurts your arguments.
I am not trying to show off my skills here on redflagdeals, so I will not post my other projects. But honestly, I took a good look at the projects Fred Galang posted on page 2, (projects by other classmates), and compared them to mine. I honestly don't see why he thinks those look good and mine don't. All of a sudden, he posted the links to my 2 blogs here (thanks for the free advertisement btw). Those weren't the ones I submitted to him. I dropped the course before the wordpress project was due. He had never seen my wordpress blog. I made a lot of changes to the tumblr blog before I handed it to him to meet the homework requirements. That version is now gone. I reverted the blog back to how it was like before I took his class.

But based on today's version, since he brought it up yesterday, I truly, honestly do not understand why he thinks mine don't look good. I think he is nuts, and belongs to a mental hospital.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
4300 posts
549 upvotes
Markham
antiaginglane wrote: I am not trying to show off my skills here on redflagdeals, so I will not post my other projects. But honestly, I took a good look at the projects Fred Galang posted on page 2, (projects by other classmates), and compared them to mine. I honestly don't see why he thinks those look good and mine don't. All of a sudden, he posted the links to my 2 blogs here (thanks for the free advertisement btw). Those weren't the ones I submitted to him. I dropped the course before the wordpress project was due. He had never seen my wordpress blog. I made a lot of changes to the tumblr blog before I handed it to him to meet the homework requirements. That version is now gone. I reverted the blog back to how it was like before I took his class.

But based on today's version, since he brought it up yesterday, I truly, honestly do not understand why he thinks mine don't look good. I think he is nuts, and belongs to a mental hospital.
Well that escalated quickly.
Aug 31, 2011
227 posts
17 upvotes
NORTH YORK
hahah damn this is funny.
Jun 2, 2011
295 posts
55 upvotes
Did you get your money back?