Shopping Discussion

Ridiculous experience crossing border to ship an item - charged "truck fee"?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 5:26 pm
Jun 21, 2016
261 posts
71 upvotes
chekacr9 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 6:45 pm
I wonder if these boarder control agents have to go thru psychological assessment and personality test like police recruit go thru. Obviously some of these boarder control agents has a mental issue and they require professional help. Their abusive attitude could affect their own family. It is for their own benefit their behavior should be monitored and evaluated.
CBSA does, and the US likely does as well.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/b ... ng.html#a8
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
chekacr9 wrote:
I wonder if these boarder control agents have to go thru psychological assessment and personality test like police recruit go thru. Obviously some of these boarder control agents has a mental issue and they require professional help. Their abusive attitude could affect their own family. It is for their own benefit their behavior should be monitored and evaluated.
Yes they do and thats why they act like this. Cops are trained mentally and psychologically not to be moved by emotions and not be tear-jerkers, this is why cops are all so cold, calculation and have zero sympathy. Do you think its a coincidence all these border goons are almost all the same in rudeness?
Apr 1, 2013
439 posts
76 upvotes
BC
May be the psychological assessment is flawed.
May 16, 2007
895 posts
365 upvotes
I love everytime there's a thread about a border crossing experience...all the soapboxes come out and it draws most of the holier than thou their crap dont stink know it all's.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4792 posts
59 upvotes
Local
I've had bad experiences as well as good ones. I think the worst ones are during the daytime when it's actually busy. Gotta make it look secure like theres no way in hell you smuggling and getting away with it. I've had other times where I'm literally just let in and I say to myself...wait your not gonna interrogate me any further!?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1680 posts
321 upvotes
Ontario
Imagine sitting listening to ppl lie all day day then you would be cold and emotionless. Also CBSA used to have untrained university students at the border which were the one who didn't care. Maybe they still do before they go for training in Quebec...
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2443 posts
1391 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
adamtheman wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 11:16 am
Yeah totally my crappy attitude that caused all this, gotcha.
It typically does. You don't think they can detect your 'vibe'? They're trained to detect those little things, so if they detect you're pissed off at them of course they're going to see if it leads somewhere else. So yeah...if you've got a snarky attitude (even if it's not verbalised) there's a very good chance you're contributing substantially to how the experience goes down.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20060 posts
4020 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Gammatron wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 8:39 pm
chekacr9 wrote:
Yes they do and thats why they act like this. Cops are trained mentally and psychologically not to be moved by emotions and not be tear-jerkers, this is why cops are all so cold, calculation and have zero sympathy. Do you think its a coincidence all these border goons are almost all the same in rudeness?
Personally, I have yet to experience it. Everytime I cross the border and they ask me questions, I tell them the truth. If I bought something, I show them the receipt. I treat them with respect and they return it with gratitude.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13329 posts
3504 upvotes
Here 'n There
I go to the US about once a month across one of the Niagara crossings to pick up/check on inventory at my 3PL warehouse. I've been told by a border agents that I am allowed to go through the Nexus line if I am heading down on business even to pick up inventory to bring back to Canada as long as I do not have any commercial samples or inventory/items for resale with me and it is okay to be bringing a business laptop/iPad with me. I have gone through the Nexus line under those circumstances without a problem but I am sure one of these times I will indeed be told I cannot do that given some of the comments above. I wish the rules were applied consistently but they are not. When I do have commercial samples or inventory/resale items I go through the commercial truck lane (but often feel odd with all those huge trucks around me) present my form and pay the fee that the OP feels they should get special consideration for and not pay. However, what I do now is ship in advance via Chit Chats Express to the US anything that would require me to go through the commercial lane so I can avoid that.

Most of the time when I have gone through the regular or Nexus line as soon as I give my reason for crossing they let me go. Sometimes they ask a few questions. However, recently I was grilled about whether I was going to the US to actually work and not just to check on my inventory or to pick it up to bring back to Canada. I was not believed even though it was true and I had told the agent I had done this a dozen times in the past year. Even though I was sickeningly nice and polite the border agent told me they 'Did not care' and that I had to respect that this was an international border and people just cannot cross at will, which of course I understood. I then received a 5 minute lecture about that. I then had my passport confiscated, was told to pull aside had to go into the office for questioning, waited almost a 1/2 hour even though there was only one other person waiting and many agents behind the counter, then questioned for a few minutes after which they let me go. The office agent who questioned me was surprised I was sent in for questioning. I just think sometimes the border agents just decide not to believe someone for no apparent reason. I dare say at times they seem a bit heavy-handed but having said that I do respect that their job is to control the border. I just wish there was some way to get some sort of 'pass' so that if all you are doing is what I am doing every time you can just breeze through.
Oct 22, 2016
3 posts
I had this happen to me too - ambassador bridge crossing, sold a 200$ ring on eBay and went to mail it in the USA. I used my nexus card in the nexus lanes and was told I shouldn't have been in the nexus lane, commercial goods, and that I ought to have been "sent in" to pay a fee, but that he would let me off this time. I was very apologetic, terrified of losing my nexus card, and haven't dared to eBay anything since!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7545 posts
1223 upvotes
the few times i have crossed the border, the worst i had was a car inspection when there were 4 of us, all in our 20s. Straight forward behaviour.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13329 posts
3504 upvotes
Here 'n There
I won't even go through the Nexus lane in an empty rental van/truck even though I am allowed to for business as the truck is empty because a makes me look more 'commercial-y'.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13329 posts
3504 upvotes
Here 'n There
It is interesting that I have noticed that when I cross in the commercial lanes with my CBP Form 7533 and tell them I am dropping off some inventory at my warehouse and picking some up to bring back to Canada I usually get waived through with few questions being asked. If I go through the regular lane (having no commercial goods of course) they ask a ton of questions about why I am going to the US.
Dec 6, 2002
951 posts
67 upvotes
i had this experience recently also.

one thing i noticed is that, knowing how to act, how how to dress, what car to drive, where you put your packages, how big the packages are ALL accounts into affecting whether you have to go in and get charged this "fee".