• Dec 15th, 2012 9:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1003 posts
1 upvote

Right address wrong postal code

Recently I bought something from Japan on Aug 3, 2011 and the seller wrote everything correct except the postal code! I'll pull a picture in a moment...is there a way to track the package through my end? The seller is working on it..but I would assume the package will still be deliver since the address and whatnot is correct except the seller mistaken one letter of the postal code for a number

Any input will be greatly appreciated

24 replies
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
Realistically the postal code is the one thing you want to make sure is right. That is the first thing that Canada Post looks for. Since it's incorrect, it'll take a little bit longer for them to process it doing it by street/city.

Don't think there is a way of tracking it unless they gave you a tracking number
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
184 upvotes
Surrey
Bape_Lovers wrote:
Aug 20th, 2011 11:56 am
Recently I bought something from Japan on Aug 3, 2011 and the seller wrote everything correct except the postal code! I'll pull a picture in a moment...is there a way to track the package through my end? The seller is working on it..but I would assume the package will still be deliver since the address and whatnot is correct except the seller mistaken one letter of the postal code for a number

Any input will be greatly appreciated

I don't think there'll be any problems. It may be a little slower, but your address is good enough. Theoretically, the item should be able to make it through to your location with just the postal code and name (if you're in a building with its own postal code) but I know from the past that the postal code can be right but the address could be wrong and it'll be returned 'not at this address'.

I would suggest you contact Canada Post directly if you have any questions.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1312 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
I can confirm with the others... you'll probably be fine as packages will be slow but it will still arrive. I've had many packages received (and even some sent) with the wrong postal code and they've arrived. It's possible they'll be returned but I've never seen any get lost (yet!). Goodluck with yours... :)
Aug 27, 2008
401 posts
94 upvotes
Mississauga
There should be no problems. I have had the same thing happen before where the postal code was incorrect. Still ended up receiving the package.
Jul 24, 2010
90 posts
16 upvotes
You should be OK.
If the first three digits (FSA) are correct, you should have no problem and the package won't get delayed.
The first digit is the most important. If sender uses K2C (Ottawa) instead of R2C (Winnipeg), the package might get sent to Ottawa instead of Winnipeg.
However Canada Post employees tend to sort by city, instead of postal code, and could fix errors on the fly. Machines might fix mistakes if the address and postal code do not correspond.

Since the format does not follow ANA-NAN format, the postal code will be treated as an error.
Dec 27, 2008
174 posts
3 upvotes
should be ok..last time..someone wrote me a card.....didnt write down country. wrong postal code..only city and street , house number were correct . ..
mail sent to UK...and UK bounced back to Canada... :lol: :lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1003 posts
1 upvote
thanks for the input guys! more input appreciated! updated first post with a pic from the seller..will post updates in the first post
Jul 24, 2010
90 posts
16 upvotes
Looking at the picture. I will assume the following:

1) Package is sent to Canada.
2) Arrives probably in Vancouver or Toronto
3) Clears Customs
4) Canada Post employee in Vancouver sorts Ontario mail to Gateway (Mississauga)
5) The machine in Gateway might be able read the address, and send it to the right desination
6) A keyer with knowledge should realize that code should the postal code for Markham is L3P, and key it in as such.
7) If not a human sorts the packet, and send it Markham.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
trebor204 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2011 5:49 pm
Looking at the picture. I will assume the following:

1) Package is sent to Canada.
2) Arrives probably in Vancouver or Toronto
3) Clears Customs
4) Canada Post employee in Vancouver sorts Ontario mail to Gateway (Mississauga)
5) The machine in Gateway might be able read the address, and send it to the right desination
6) A keyer with knowledge should realize that code should the postal code for Markham is L3P, and key it in as such.
7) If not a human sorts the packet, and send it Markham.

Most of the time any mis sorts with the wrong address will go to the Markham station anyway (that gets L3P). Problem for any other markham postal code, is it all goes to the Unionville station. So if your postal code is L3S but they put it incorrect, chances are it will go to Markham station instead of unionville where it should go
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Oct 27, 2009
239 posts
38 upvotes
I'm pretty sure every self-respecting mailman knows that the third symbol in the postal code is a letter, and not number.. So they will simply use the address to find you. Don't worry!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1003 posts
1 upvote
thanks everyone! ya..my postal is L3P..not sure why he mistaken it to 9..anyways..hope everything works right!!
Jul 24, 2010
90 posts
16 upvotes
and everyone should know the area code is 905 not 903.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1433 posts
73 upvotes
I used to work for Canada Post. Unless things have changed, parcels are sorted manually since every one differs in size and thickness. It'll probably go through customs in Vancouver and then sent to Toronto South Central then Scarborough Central (not sure if Markham has their own Central office now that they've grown significantly) for distribution. The postal code only matters on letter mail since they usually code it (hence the yellow bars) and go through automatic sorting. Worst case is someone "rejects" the address and sends it to investigations who then has to manually look up the right postal code based on the address. That usually delays your parcel by a day or 2 depending on the volume of investigations. You'll know if that happened if someone corrects the postal code.

As long as the house address is correct, it will arrive at your home so don't worry.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
For OP,

1. You should not post your full address, phone number and name in internet. If I were you, I would get rid of the picture ASAP.

2. Canada Post sometime can do some amazing thing. I got a letter which spell my name wrong, my company name wrong, address wrong and Postal code wrong. However, somehow they were still able to send that to me.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
× < >