• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 5:52 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
3 posts
Richmond Hill, ON

Rights as landlord living with tenant?

Hello,

I recently bought a 3 bedroom detached and am looking to rent out a room (Durham region) while I wait for my fiance to finish school and move in (end of 2018). What are my rights as a landlord if I were to live with the tenant? I was reading online that there is a bit more leverage as landlord if there is a shared living space? Also, any tips for a first time landlord before going out there into the rental market to find a tenant?

Thanks!
13 replies
Dec 23, 2010
503 posts
106 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are sharing living space then the tenant isn't protected by the RTA. That means the tenant's rights are whatever you choose them to be. You are covered by contract law. Create a lease and outline the rules you want and if the tenant agrees to them then those are yours and the tenant's rights.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6783 posts
978 upvotes
I guess just lock your bedroom doors so you won't get stuff stolen while you are at work. And install lots of surveillance cameras inside the house.

I was actually thinking of looking into fostering foreign students. Wasn't there a program for that? I think it's for both high school and university.
Dec 23, 2010
503 posts
106 upvotes
Ottawa
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:51 pm
I guess just lock your bedroom doors so you won't get stuff stolen while you are at work. And install lots of surveillance cameras inside the house.

I was actually thinking of looking into fostering foreign students. Wasn't there a program for that? I think it's for both high school and university.
I think a clause saying you will boot a tenant out the very same day if they steal and keep the last month rent will discourage/eliminate stealing. You don't need to do anything drastic like cameras that will make people very uncomfortable. Also if you are living with a tenant you obviously want a high quality tenant. Dont rent to trailer trash, drug users and party monsters.
Dec 13, 2016
396 posts
268 upvotes
Man, you have to be pretty desperate to share your living space for some money.
Dec 23, 2010
503 posts
106 upvotes
Ottawa
BiegeToyota wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:28 am
??? You never heard of roommates before? It is like that except in this case you hold all the power while also making money instead of paying it. Definitely far better deal than renting a basement to a tenant so they can hold your house hostage with the RTA. You have to pay them to get your basement back now in the latest insane regulations.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
3 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
Thanks!

So I guess what I need is a strong rental agreement and a change of locks on the house doors?

How would you recommend I find a tenant? Would hiring a real estate agent be the best way to screen potential renters?
Mar 21, 2017
1 posts
BiegeToyota wrote: ↑

A bit harsh no?. People do what they have to do to get ahead. I live in Durham and have been doing the same thing but I consider it my extra money which I enjoy very much.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
3 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
Hey Eastengirl!

Can you let me know how you went about finding renters? What measures did you take to protect yourself (legally and the house itself)?
Sep 14, 2010
807 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
BiegeToyota wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:28 am
Future djpeanuts in the making
Jan 21, 2017
86 posts
16 upvotes
been there done that. I enjoy living with others & having roommates. it's a smart strategy for ppl who don't mind sharing space with others.

I am not sure if a realtor is needed. kijiji or school bulletin board works fine. you obviously need to meet with them and see if you would get along with them as friends.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
4146 posts
1949 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Your due diligence on potential tenants should be just as high as if you were going to rent out a separate unit.

You need to ensure trustworthy and creditworthiness to minimise risk down the road.
Dec 19, 2007
21 posts
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:51 pm

yes, there are several different companies you can contact. you can find them by googling homestay agencies, but most of them pay around the same price. it also depends on how many meals you're offering (eg. if it's just breakfast and dinner.) you'd be required to do an interview, and a criminal background check. they'll also come by your home to assess the room where the student is staying when they meet you for an interview. the students come for different durations - some come for undergrad, others come to attend a language school so they may only stay a short time - 1 or three months. i wouldn't do high school kids, honestly. it's the first time away from home for many of them, so you can only imagine...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
3896 posts
1106 upvotes
Thornhill
Applesmack wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:30 pm
If you are sharing living space then the tenant isn't protected by the RTA. That means the tenant's rights are whatever you choose them to be. You are covered by contract law. Create a lease and outline the rules you want and if the tenant agrees to them then those are yours and the tenant's rights.
Hewhewhew wrote:
May 18th, 2017 4:13 pm
...I was reading online that there is a bit more leverage as landlord if there is a shared living space? Also, any tips for a first time landlord before going out there into the rental market to find a tenant?
It's important to note that the distinguishing criteria is not just sharing living space with the tenant but sharing either a kitchen or bathroom with the tenant.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel