• Jul 31st, 2017 11:12 am
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jan 9, 2017
225 posts
56 upvotes

Rim bent, can it be repaired?

I went for a balancing at costco, and apparently my rim is bent. Obviously they can't do much, so I'm wondering if it makes sense or is even possible for me to get it fixed?

I don't see any giant bend and the rim is almost new so I'd like to see if theres anything i can do before fully replacing it?

Thanks!
13 replies
Jun 10, 2008
226 posts
87 upvotes
Brampton
Did you see how bad it is? I've seen many bent rims and it's hit or miss if they are going to cause a problem. Is it vibrating? If it's a steel rim it's cheap enough to just replace. Oem alloys you might want to repair or replace with 4 aftermarket wheels.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11911 posts
1797 upvotes
implyingdoesitforfree wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:40 pm
I went for a balancing at costco, and apparently my rim is bent. Obviously they can't do much, so I'm wondering if it makes sense or is even possible for me to get it fixed?

I don't see any giant bend and the rim is almost new so I'd like to see if theres anything i can do before fully replacing it?

Thanks!
Steel rims - buy a new one
Aluminium rim - try a rim repair, place about $100. Union rim in North York is good

Sometimes you can't tell the rim is bent till the tire is removed. Roll the bare rim on the floor and it might have an obvious dent/wobble.

Some steel rims are almost impossible to straighten without a hydraulic machine. I used an 8lb sledge on one, didn't do a thing
[OP]
Banned
Jan 9, 2017
225 posts
56 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:04 am
Steel rims - buy a new one
Aluminium rim - try a rim repair, place about $100. Union rim in North York is good

Sometimes you can't tell the rim is bent till the tire is removed. Roll the bare rim on the floor and it might have an obvious dent/wobble.

Some steel rims are almost impossible to straighten without a hydraulic machine. I used an 8lb sledge on one, didn't do a thing
UPDATE, went to union. Not really impressed and it costed several more times than what you mentioned :/
Feb 3, 2015
896 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto

Union is garbage. They butchered my rim. It was working fine when it had a slight bend on the lip. But because I had some eXtra cash I decided to take it to Union to fix just for it to look clean. They return the rim all warped and they car was pulling all over. They older guy didn't want to take responsibility and didn't even offer me a refund. Don't go to these guys. I had to scrap the rim after.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5745 posts
1124 upvotes
aGincourt
Can your rim still be balanced and does it leak air? Other than for cosmetic purpose, if it functions just fine I would leave it alone. I hit a giant pot hole that shook my whole car and sent me at least an inch off my seat, I was expecting a flat tire. But only my steel rim was bent, visible 10 feet away, but the tire still holds air and is balanced so I don't care.
Oct 29, 2009
407 posts
94 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:43 pm

Union is garbage. They butchered my rim. It was working fine when it had a slight bend on the lip. But because I had some eXtra cash I decided to take it to Union to fix just for it to look clean. They return the rim all warped and they car was pulling all over. They older guy didn't want to take responsibility and didn't even offer me a refund. Don't go to these guys. I had to scrap the rim after.
I wasn't impressed with Union either. They fixed a rim for me which, to be fair, seems to be okay but their measuring equipment was almost nonexistent. He put it on an ancient little balancer just so he could show me that it didn't look bent any more by eye, but that was it. No lateral or radial runout measurements, no balance measurements, nothing. Since then I've taken a couple different wheels to Leprecon and they seemed to have a much better setup, and the measuring equipment was much better and could precisely measure how bent the rim was.
Banned
Jul 19, 2017
42 posts
13 upvotes
McGuillicuddy wrote:
May 31st, 2017 11:59 am
I wasn't impressed with Union either. They fixed a rim for me which, to be fair, seems to be okay but their measuring equipment was almost nonexistent. He put it on an ancient little balancer just so he could show me that it didn't look bent any more by eye, but that was it. No lateral or radial runout measurements, no balance measurements, nothing. Since then I've taken a couple different wheels to Leprecon and they seemed to have a much better setup, and the measuring equipment was much better and could precisely measure how bent the rim was.
How was the price difference?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3293 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
If the car is not vibrating or the wheels leaking air then just leave it. I found out 2 of my rims were bent when changing tires. The guy said it's fine as long as they don't vibrate or leak.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Guru
Jul 13, 2008
14338 posts
827 upvotes
Markham/Hamilton
implyingdoesitforfree wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:52 am
UPDATE, went to union. Not really impressed and it costed several more times than what you mentioned :/
I was going to go to Union to get one of my wheels refinished. This thread makes me wary. Any other places you guys recommend? It's just a simple gloss black.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3579 posts
632 upvotes
Alberta
How old is the car? It might be cheaper to go get a used alloy rim from a auto recycler. New car, it's unlikely that they will have one. Steel, just buy one anywhere.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21447 posts
2312 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 8:28 pm
How old is the car? It might be cheaper to go get a used alloy rim from a auto recycler. New car, it's unlikely that they will have one. Steel, just buy one anywhere.
OP is actually banned by now and thread was bumped due to someone asking about Union.

Anyway perhaps I didn't have the worst rim but I did go through an open (i.e. cover-off) manhole in a heavy rainstorm a few years back. I though the wheel was a goner though--fairly large chunk out of it :( Took it to Union and they did a fine job, wheel is good to this day and funny enough the finish on the wheel is actually better than the factory-finish on the other three wheels believe it or not. $100ish plus tax was a pretty good price for the repair as well. I dunno about the bad experiences people have had at Union, but mine was a good one.