Computers & Electronics

RIM stock in free fall-AGAIN...Playbooks at $99 anyone ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2012 11:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1319 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga

RIM stock in free fall-AGAIN...Playbooks at $99 anyone ?

Few months ago, I started 2 threads about the sad state of RIM:

rims-slide-continues-1182938/

and

would-u-buy-rims-playbook-99-if-happens-1082660/

Well, today pre-market: RIMM = $7.81, Down $1.32 (14.46%) after announcing horrible financial results yesterday.

So sad to see this unfold. It looks like RIM is on its death bed ?

What do RFDers think ?

Hope I'm wrong.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
If everyone on RFD who started a thread about the possibility of $99 Playbooks were to give a $1 to RIM, then RIM would be profitable again.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
Playbooks at $99 ... no thanks. If they could run Windows 8, then yes!
Dec 20, 2009
415 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Playbook is trash.

Nexus 7 >>>>
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
I still wouldn't buy one at $99 :lol:
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1319 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
ShadowVlican wrote: I still wouldn't buy one at $99 :lol:
At which price would u get interested, if any - just curious :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
oldpro wrote: At which price would u get interested, if any - just curious :)
Might get one if they ever go for $10 or less.

Dave
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
There is no point in buying anything that has NO future. Not sure what the playbook does that a nice Samsung Android or iPhone can't do.

The Playbook, if it cannot be modded to take Android OS (ICS, V4.0) or Windows 8 (or OS modded for Playbook) has ZERO value, except as a paper weight.

We need to realize EVERY enterprise/origanization in the world in the next 12 months are going to demand from their IT department a migration plan away from BB. (A plan that will be executed in the following 24 months.) Enterprises will stay with BB if Microsofts steps in (buys/takeover) and offers some reassurances. But then WinMob 8 is already far superior than anything RIMM has in development.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
better off buying one of those knock off tablets for less than $100
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
you cannot put Android on the Playbook because it has a locked boot loader. Rim is known for their security and so far no one has been able to crack the security. As long as the bootloader is locked we won't see android on the playbook
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
i'd buy one for $20... and treat it as a digital photo frame on steroids
ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
bargain man wrote: you cannot put Android on the Playbook because it has a locked boot loader. Rim is known for their security and so far no one has been able to crack the security. As long as the bootloader is locked we won't see android on the playbook
What security? They've given ENCRYPTED BIS information to the US government many times. Their reputation for security has been scrutinized many times. I think Obama still uses a BB :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
Is there a way to hack a playbook and put android on it? Would be amazing with it.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
bargain man wrote: you cannot put Android on the Playbook because it has a locked boot loader. Rim is known for their security and so far no one has been able to crack the security. As long as the bootloader is locked we won't see android on the playbook
ahh, ignore my last post...
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Busybuyer888 wrote: There is no point in buying anything that has NO future. Not sure what the playbook does that a nice Samsung Android or iPhone can't do.

The Playbook, if it cannot be modded to take Android OS (ICS, V4.0) or Windows 8 (or OS modded for Playbook) has ZERO value, except as a paper weight.

We need to realize EVERY enterprise/origanization in the world in the next 12 months are going to demand from their IT department a migration plan away from BB. (A plan that will be executed in the following 24 months.) Enterprises will stay with BB if Microsofts steps in (buys/takeover) and offers some reassurances. But then WinMob 8 is already far superior than anything RIMM has in development.
Considering people went nuts for the Touchpad fire sale and they're still going for around $200 used, this statement is hardly true.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9135 posts
2092 upvotes
RIM is pretty cool they sent me a free Playbook but I gave it away and never used the physical tablet. I used their emulator instead and would rank from my experience, from top to bottom

#1 Android
#2 Windows
#3 RIM
#4 WebOS
#5 Apple
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
First, $99 for a 16GB would be a reality if there was any stock from RIM...which there isn't, so the $199 price point stays unless the stores that still have stock blow them out (which hasn't happened in any store around here that still has stock). They still have warehouse stock of the 32 and 64 GB models which were selling at a little above cost anyway so I can't see these going for less unless RIM sells the company and the new owners blow them out. They are still committed to an LTE model which will probably come out when the full version of OS 2.1 is released. That shouldn't be too long as the developer beta of 2.1 was released some weeks back and presumably has it's bugs ironed out. Now, as for BB10, as far as I'm concerned, that is a phone OS and though it will be loadable onto the PB, it's a non issue for me. I still use my PB every day and I'm not about to dump it for a $200 tab running Android apps that I will probably never use. I learned my lesson with the PB and all those converted Android apps I eventually removed as I never used them. I do play games but mostly into games requiring a laptop or desktop which is why the MS Surface looks good...but only the full Windows 8 model that will probably cost $1K anyway as it competes with Ultrabooks. At that point, there will be no more need of apps for me or anyone else using that device as all the Windows programs will run on it. Then I will be able to kiss Apple and Android tabs goodbye... :lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Buy a Playbook for $99? Maybe last year. But as of now, it is obsolete.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)