• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2019 10:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17131 posts
473 upvotes

Ring door bells - what features to get?

My car got broken into a few days back so the wife and I decided to get a ring door bell for the front door. We always wanted one anyways so this just kind of pushed us in that way.

I have question about them. Do we need the cloud service? I wasn't 100% sure what it did from a user perspective. Is the cloud service the only way to get it to record videos?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1042 posts
451 upvotes
CALGARY
I am not sure if Doorbell Camera is the right option unless you have your drive way right in front of the door. The other option is Ring Flood light camera. Yes you need monthly subscription to check events. Its the only way to have videos stored on cloud after the trail period.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17131 posts
473 upvotes
cec4111 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 1:20 pm
I am not sure if Doorbell Camera is the right option unless you have your drive way right in front of the door. The other option is Ring Flood light camera. Yes you need monthly subscription to check events. Its the only way to have videos stored on cloud after the trail period.
Thanks. Our door way is literally right in front so that's a good option for us.

Any thoughts on ring 1 or ring 2? I'm leaning to ring 2 for the 1080 recording.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1042 posts
451 upvotes
CALGARY
I have a Doorbell Pro, which is latest. I think Costco has 2 with an year of cloud subscription. Please check it out there.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11949 posts
1442 upvotes
Kanata
How far would the car be from the camera? You may be better off with a different setup than that. The Ring doorbell isn't meant for to ID people from far away.
To be able to record and have access to those recordings, you will need a cloud account.
There are other things you can do, like motion sensor lights. If you have a power outlet in a soffit area, you can use something else like a Ring outdoor camera or Yi outdoor camera or the like.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24032 posts
4315 upvotes
Camera's not going to do anything. You know how to circumvent cameras? Like this:

$12 on Amazon defeats your nonsensical, insanely overpriced, doorbell.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9301 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
Whatever you choose, you need to alert the bad guys that there's a camera now.

Preventing them from breaking in again is the key. It's not about getting video evidence of them breaking in .
Sep 28, 2014
38 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You need the ring cloud service if you want to keep recordings, otherwise you can only do live view when you get a motion alert or someone rings your bell. I have the ringpro and the video quality is only good when the people are right in front of the doorbell, if you are trying to capture a figure in your driveway you might not a very clear picture as it may be too far. If you look at this screenshot you can barely see the mailman's features.
Images
  • ringss.png
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26475 posts
12585 upvotes
Ottawa
Better off with the Ring floodlight as motion will trigger the light to turn on and that should be a good deterrent and if not, the video should be clearer.
The doorbell cam is only good for those coming up right to it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9301 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
FYi

I have the Ring doorbell and cameras around my house. And connecting to them live view is not that fast.

Also, sometimes it doesn't connect at all. Just keeps on loading and loading and loading.

However the motion works very well AND it records and saves it consistently. So I can go review it later.

I pay the $100/year fee for all 4 devices.
Dec 25, 2012
480 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Is there any way to search the event history instead of scrolling in the app? To an event last month? I have the aubscription
JS