Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Ring

Ring Alarm Home Security System Kit $260 - $330 (Save $50-$90USD) - ships to CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 11:00 pm
Dec 1, 2006
953 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
is the enhanced deal good for $214?
Anyone have a link for the Ring doorbell?
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
adilh53 wrote: Does it ship to Canada? Wouldnt let me order for shipping to Calgary....
No, you need an American friend or deliver to one of those shipping hold/redirect places. You can order via the original Ring.com link though.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1954 posts
1477 upvotes
Is the range extender really needed for a roughly 2300 square foot house and with motion sensors on the main, 2nd floor and basement? Contact sensors are only on the main floor and basement. Anyone with similar set up try using the system without the range extender?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
adilh53 wrote: Is the range extender really needed for a roughly 2300 square foot house and with motion sensors on the main, 2nd floor and basement? Contact sensors are only on the main floor and basement. Anyone with similar set up try using the system without the range extender?
My house is a bit bigger and I'm not experiencing any connectivity issues, as these z-wave devices will create a mesh network.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1954 posts
1477 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: My house is a bit bigger and I'm not experiencing any connectivity issues, as these z-wave devices will create a mesh network.
So you don't have your range extender plugged in and no issues with the sensors/system performing as expected?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: My house is a bit bigger and I'm not experiencing any connectivity issues, as these z-wave devices will create a mesh network.
Hey vkizzle.. Mind elaborating on the bolded part? Trying to make sense of that. Do you mean that all the individual devices (contacts, sensors, etc) all help each other connectivity-wise?

Many thanks for your time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
adilh53 wrote: So you don't have your range extender plugged in and no issues with the sensors/system performing as expected?
I have it plugged on the main floor, but my furthest sensor is also in the basement at the back of the house.
Having other sensors nearby creating the mesh network is what's keeping the connection strong.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Hey vkizzle.. Mind elaborating on the bolded part? Trying to make sense of that. Do you mean that all the individual devices (contacts, sensors, etc) all help each other connectivity-wise?

Many thanks for your time.
The more z-wave devices available, the stronger the network, as each device is transmitting a 360 signal grid pattern helping each other stay connected.
Nov 20, 2005
225 posts
118 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I have it plugged on the main floor, but my furthest sensor is also in the basement at the back of the house.
Having other sensors nearby creating the mesh network is what's keeping the connection strong.
FYI the sensors themselves do not contribute to the mesh network.only the range extender does. Battery powered devices generally don't have mesh capabilities so that it doesn't drain the battery.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
psych0man wrote: FYI the sensors themselves do not contribute to the mesh network.only the range extender does. Battery powered devices generally don't have mesh capabilities so that it doesn't drain the battery.
I learned something new today :)
The range extender is the device acting as a repeater.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
1326 posts
430 upvotes
It's been a while since I've posted here.

First, I wish there was a way to see the exact battery level of the sensors. I purchased the Ring Alarm with a bunch of you earlier this year (around February) and my devices are still showing a full green battery. But I think it only shows battery level in quarterly increments which isn't very informative.

(Update on a glitch I had. My motion detector had a low battery warning just 5 days after I bought it and someone suggested reinserting the battery. No problems since then.)

I have yet to buy some CR123A batteries and I don't want to wait until the last minute. I heard Surefire is a very good battery. Just curious which brand you guys prefer and what sort of prices to watch out for. Also, do you guys use rechargeables?

Second, wanted to talk about the motion detector.

(Another update about a second glitch, again with the motion detector. I had a false alarm in the middle of the night but it has only happened once.)

When it detects motion it will essentially disable itself for the next 3 minute so it doesn't annoyingly chirp at you every time you move in that time frame and location. How exactly does the timer work though? I assume it is a fixed 3 minutes countdown and doesn't reset whenever it detects motion within the 3 minutes. I make this assumption because:

a) Often it will chirp at me even though I had crossed paths with the motion detector just moments earlier
b) If it resets back to 3 minutes every time it detects motion, it could theoretically disable itself perpetually due to false alarms which is bad
+93___FalconR___________________________🫨
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
adilh53 wrote: Is the range extender really needed for a roughly 2300 square foot house and with motion sensors on the main, 2nd floor and basement? Contact sensors are only on the main floor and basement. Anyone with similar set up try using the system without the range extender?
No. It's more a crutch to ensure everything says working. For most people's houses the extender probably isn't needed.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
No, they won't.

What you are describing is the 'repeat' function that SOME ZWave devices have. This allows the network to expand beyond the range of the base station.

The 'trick' is not all ZWave devices repeat, and the ones that MOST CERTAINLY do not are battery powered devices. The number pad MIGHT repeat, but even that is unsure since it's designed not to have to be plugged in all the time to work.

That's why they include the extender, none of the other devices (door sensors, motion sensors) repeat (and therefore 'expand') the network.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: The more z-wave devices available, the stronger the network, as each device is transmitting a 360 signal grid pattern helping each other stay connected.
No, not each device.

For ZWave (and Zigbee) the repeat feature is only enabled for devices with a good power source. If your door contact sensors and motion sensors repeated they'd drain their batteries in no time (having to keep their receiver on to receive messages to repeat.

For example, from:
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.ph ... =Repeaters

They say:
Battery-powered devices do not act as repeaters.

Generally mains powered devices act as repeaters, but even that isn't guaranteed. For example, I have doubts the keypad repeats, since it's designed to work fine without being plugged in all the time.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12736 posts
6257 upvotes
Any companies that install and monitor services by RING in Canada. Was looking at Think Protection and Rogers and this seems less expensive if you factor in monthly cost.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
bobcat99 wrote: Any companies that install and monitor services by RING in Canada. Was looking at Think Protection and Rogers and this seems less expensive if you factor in monthly cost.
It is really easy to install. I highly recommend to try to do it yourself. I bought one of the kits from Home Depot and set it up in my mom's place. I suggest you buy the kit and if you have problem installing it find a friend to do it vs. trying to pay extra monthly costs vs. the Ring protection plan...

For anyone that missed out on the Home Depot package, when they kept on delaying shipping I contacted them and got them to match the price for local pickup. They finally shipped the one I ordered, I was thinking of setting up/keeping for work location but I decided I don't really need it and might do security camera instead down the road. Before I return to Home Depot figure would offer on here. Pickup in Oakville, my cost ($189 + HST = $213.57). This is a link to the expired deal - home-depot-ring-alarm-extra-sensors-189-99-2303437/

EDIT - have 2 offers so will edit again if one of those people don't end up buying it.
Mar 17, 2015
261 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto, ON
r1lee wrote: What a great system. I tore down my alarm and replace it with ring. $100 for monitoring and unlimited ring cloud for your ring devices. Also cellular backup.
Took me 30min to install and most of it was taking apart the old system and figuring out where I should mount the motion sensors.
Can you share more details about cellular backup in Canada ?
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11273 upvotes
Deal_Or_Nodeal_17 wrote: Can you share more details about cellular backup in Canada ?
Not sure what details you want?

It has cellular backup, if you pay for monitoring. Umm, that's it?