Expired Hot Deals

[Ring] Ring Alarm Home Security System Kit $260 - $330 (Save $50-$90USD) - ships to CAD

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 11:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1623 posts
1074 upvotes
Sorry if this has been answered before but does the base station have to be plugged in at all times or is it battery operated and you only need to have it plugged in to re-charge the battery
Oct 4, 2010
410 posts
119 upvotes
Surrey
If subscribing to their monitoring service, does the 10% off code you get still work on the 10 or 14 piece equipment that's currently on sale already?
Nov 22, 2011
838 posts
185 upvotes
Batcave
adilh53 wrote: Sorry if this has been answered before but does the base station have to be plugged in at all times or is it battery operated and you only need to have it plugged in to re-charge the battery
I would always keep the brains of the security system plugged in. It does have a battery but I would rely on that only as backup if the power goes out.

Unlike the keypad there are no reported issues keeping it plugged in 247.
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1623 posts
1074 upvotes
FalconR wrote: I would always keep the brains of the security system plugged in. It does have a battery but I would rely on that only as backup if the power goes out.

Unlike the keypad there are no reported issues keeping it plugged in 247.
I agree but that limits where you can have the base station since you also want it hidden.

With the requirement it needs to be plugged in, even if hidden away in some cabinet etc, the cord for power connection to the socket would still stick out making it more obvious and easier to find if someone wanted to get rid of the source of the siren/alarm
Aug 30, 2017
230 posts
156 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
adilh53 wrote: I agree but that limits where you can have the base station since you also want it hidden.

With the requirement it needs to be plugged in, even if hidden away in some cabinet etc, the cord for power connection to the socket would still stick out making it more obvious and easier to find if someone wanted to get rid of the source of the siren/alarm
The siren is barely adequate out in the open, hiding it in a closet or something is really going to mute its output.

What the set up needs is remote sirens with some oomph! Both the base station and the current remote versions are pretty wimpy.

Edited to say - both are fine for alerting you to an alarm when you are home but more so that the neighbours probably won’t hear it. Some may or may not feel that is something that’s of benefit but the option of a higher decibel siren to blare away from just inside your doorway or one that is able to endure outside (sheltered) temperatures for exterior installations would be a good option.

Alternately maybe an external strobe as a visual indicator or a tripped alarm or to signal first responding for a self tripped medical emergency.
Oct 4, 2010
410 posts
119 upvotes
Surrey
How does the cellular backup work ? Do I need to have a separate cell phone SIM card plugged into ithe system ?
Apr 20, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
Yes.. the discount works for re-ordering and also for additional sensors.
Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 1.10.59 AM.png
Apr 20, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
It is transparent to the user, it is built in the main device. There is nothing the user need to do after the alarm system has been activated.
IMG_1447.PNG
Apr 20, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes
1.1.1.1 is Cloudflare's DNS server.. it shouldn't affect anything.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30975 posts
16733 upvotes
Ottawa
matrixfwd wrote: If subscribing to their monitoring service, does the 10% off code you get still work on the 10 or 14 piece equipment that's currently on sale already?
Yes.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1640 posts
951 upvotes
Montreal, QC
adilh53 wrote: I agree but that limits where you can have the base station since you also want it hidden.

If you're so intent on "hiding"it, it's not very hard to make wires go through your walls. My wall mounted TV has all its cables going through the wall from the power outlet near the floor.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Nov 22, 2011
838 posts
185 upvotes
Batcave

I don't subscribe to the idea that the base station needs to be hidden. I personally keep mine in the open.
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1806 posts
753 upvotes
ON
FalconR wrote: I don't subscribe to the idea that the base station needs to be hidden. I personally keep mine in the open.
Same here. What's the difference?
Scenario one. They figure out how to disarm the system and the base station is none the wiser, why would they bother with the base station?
Scenario two. The alarm goes off. They destroy or disconnect the base station.
Monitoring will know something is wrong and dispatch the guards/authority. Later they will replace your base station.

Why bother hiding it?

FYI: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx12NL0YWHHZ7DF/?
I would like to clarify that the Base Station will still send an alarm signal even if it is destroyed, or smashed, during the entry delay. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you have any questions regarding this: Kandyce@ring.com
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4303 posts
3866 upvotes
Sparkmanbc wrote: It has a Rogers sim in it and active
Actually it's labelled as an AT&T SIM, at least mine is.