• Apr 23rd, 2018 11:03 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2154 posts
811 upvotes
Quebec
kmltick wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:56 am
Pro is at the Home Depot for $250 at the moment.
So if we PM at BB it will be 225 ish?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29277 posts
15131 upvotes
Ottawa
BiteSizeThumb wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:59 am
Used the Pro for a few months already and it's been amazing over the winter with Ottawa weather. Would highly recommend that over the base model. Also fits better fine on the door edges.

Heads up though, if you're not willing to spend the $3/month or $30/year then don't bother buying it. It's pretty much useless without it.
+1, the Ring Pro didn't fail me once the pass winter here in Ottawa and it was cold!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2765 upvotes
ratatapa wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:37 am
Don<t see any reason why to buy other Ring doorbell then the pro
The Pro has to be powered by the doorbell wire. If you don't have an existing doorbell wire, you'll have to buy a battery model instead. Even if you have a doorbell wire, you may have to pay extra to upgrade your doorbell transformer.

The Pro is much smaller - but that also means that it has a very small speaker that has trouble producing enough volume to be heard outdoors in a noisy environment.

The Pro needs 2 mbps video bandwidth to operate properly at 1080p, so you might not be getting much benefit unless you boost your WiFi signal strength.

The wide-angle lens of the Pro doesn't have as much coverage as the fisheye lens of the original Ring Doorbell.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8494 posts
904 upvotes
BiteSizeThumb wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:59 am
Used the Pro for a few months already and it's been amazing over the winter with Ottawa weather. Would highly recommend that over the base model. Also fits better fine on the door edges.

Heads up though, if you're not willing to spend the $3/month or $30/year then don't bother buying it. It's pretty much useless without it.
why is that? i think it's a great doorbell even though i don't pay for it. I have a camera already at my door, but the ring pro is fantastic when you're at home or remote and don't want to answer the door.
Jul 14, 2008
790 posts
895 upvotes
Montreal
For just a basic doorbell with camera, the non pro version does a decent job no?

Not looking to spend +200 on a doorbell just yet, the non pro seems a good bang for buck?

Also, for those wondering: if you get your doorbell stolen,, Ring will send you a replacement if you file a police report. There may be fine prints about this policy though
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
323 upvotes
Made in Canada
r1lee wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 12:06 pm
why is that? i think it's a great doorbell even though i don't pay for it. I have a camera already at my door, but the ring pro is fantastic when you're at home or remote and don't want to answer the door.
Yeah I guess that's true as well. It works great as a door bell and live stream unit, but it doesn't offer a free cloud service whatsoever where as other companies will offer you a short period of time like 3 hours. I'm just not always by my phone and during work hours as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3141 posts
659 upvotes
My doorbell is on the actual door trim, so it's not facing the street.

Anyone have experience moving it? seems like alot of work coz I'll need to drill into my brick.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2765 upvotes
r1lee wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 12:06 pm
While you can use the Live View capability of the Ring doorbells without paying for the cloud recording subscription service, you really lose a lot of capability when you do that.

If someone walks up to your door and steals a package, they'll likely be gone by the time you answer the motion alert and establish a Live View connection, even if you're free to haul out your phone at the time. With cloud recording that starts as soon as motion is detected, you'll at least see what happened.

Same if someone rings your doorbell. With a potential delay in notification, and then a delay until you can answer and establish a live connection, you may be just in time to see the back of someone walking away. Without cloud recording, you won't know who it was.

Don't expect the cost of cloud recording to change. Nest is charging more than Ring, and both companies have bet heavily on a subscription revenue model.
Aug 21, 2013
156 posts
74 upvotes
What's so bad about Ring V1 compared to the more recent models?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1089 posts
236 upvotes
Does anyone know if Ring or Nest doorbells have a app for AppleTV or AndriodTV? Like if someone rings the doorbell the video stream will popup on my TV?
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
323 upvotes
Made in Canada
tatung wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 1:36 pm
Does anyone know if Ring or Nest doorbells have a app for AppleTV or AndriodTV? Like if someone rings the doorbell the video stream will popup on my TV?
I'm pretty sure Nest has AppleTV support.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1089 posts
236 upvotes
BiteSizeThumb wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 1:44 pm
I'm pretty sure Nest has AppleTV support.
flakhany wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 1:45 pm
Nest has chromecast support
Hmm. Looks like I may have to return my Ring then and go with Nest. But I heard Nest doorbells aren't good with cold weather. I'm in Winnipeg and the winter temps here were average -30 this past winter :(