• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2018 11:03 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2761 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 12:28 pm
FYI: thats the long discontinued Ring V1 doorbell.
The original Ring doorbell is still widely for sale everywhere, and Ring themselves said that the Ring 2 was not a direct replacement for the original. I'm sure Ring does plan to phase it out, and today's price reduction is probably the start of that, but "long discontinued" is not accurate.
May 3, 2014
25 posts
8 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
I bought this around Xmas for about the same price at Best Buy.
Does its job.

Resolution not great, but it gives me an idea whats going on outside my door when i am not home.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1262 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
I have Ring 1 battery powered. No issue with winter. I haven't charged it since early January and it still has 30% battery left. I've seen the bad reviews but I'm personally very happy with it.
Jan 13, 2004
734 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
I would say the worst part about the ring doorbell is the recording delay and there's no way to adjust it. It also only records for about 30 seconds before quitting. That's pretty lame considering they are charging for cloud storage.

Every time someone walks up to the front door, the doorbell doesn't start recording until approx 15 seconds from the time it first senses motion. So every time it records the mail man, it's when he's already starting to walk away.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
1567 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 7:25 pm
Because they didn't have any V1s to send customers, amazon is just trying to clear the dead stock no one wants.
This is the first MSRP reduction after amazon acquisition (yup from $180 to $100 USD) so it wont be moving much past $125 in Canada now, wait for v2 to get discounted as well ;)
$60~$75 clearout/price errors deals from few months back is more like it, RFDers don't pay MSRP :)
Nope - they have plenty of refurb units. I had to specifically request the v2 and they said i would be charged an extra $20. They never ended up charging me.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
1567 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 8:41 pm
My doorbell transformer died and my Ring V1 battery isn't holding a charge :( How old was yours when the V1 crapped out?
About a year old. My issue is that the button wasn't functional. Battery not holding a charge may be a more difficult issue to resolve with customer support to convince them to send a replacement.
Dec 15, 2011
171 posts
61 upvotes
Quebec
VertigoM wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 11:36 pm
I have Ring 1 battery powered. No issue with winter. I haven't charged it since early January and it still has 30% battery left. I've seen the bad reviews but I'm personally very happy with it.
Same here, got 2 for 2 years. Charge them 2-3 times per winter. No issue
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1959 posts
695 upvotes
Quebec
So once again difference between V2 and Pro?

Like pros and cons of each
Dec 27, 2007
18528 posts
9689 upvotes
Kitchener
Exp315 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 9:54 pm
The original Ring doorbell is still widely for sale everywhere, and Ring themselves said that the Ring 2 was not a direct replacement for the original. I'm sure Ring does plan to phase it out, and today's price reduction is probably the start of that, but "long discontinued" is not accurate.
They can say whatever they want to keep their ball rolling, facts still stands though. When was the last time have you heard of someone who sent Ring his v1 doorbell and got another v1 back?! If the manufacturer doesn't "always" stock units for warranty replacement (or more likely to offer another model back) then that tells enough about production status, furthermore, if you follow Canadian retailers (like Lowe's and HD) whoever clears them never restock (despite continuing to carry and restock other Ring products).

Regardless, it's a old unit with many shortcomings and limited availability in retail, was remedied by the V2 and the lower price is now the new MSRP not a deal or clearance pricing.
Dec 27, 2007
18528 posts
9689 upvotes
Kitchener
slaman wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 9:03 am
Nope - they have plenty of refurb units. I had to specifically request the v2 and they said i would be charged an extra $20. They never ended up charging me.
If you check the clear out / price errors threads at Lowe's and Home Depot most were reporting getting v2 back no questions asked, guess that's how they restocked the refurbished units.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2761 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 1:31 pm
They can say whatever they want to keep their ball rolling, facts still stands though.
Fact: It is a currently-available product at Ring: https://shop.ring.com/products/video-do ... 6549589643
Fact: It is a currently-available product at Best Buy, in stock online and in store: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ri ... 89743.aspx?

Like those facts?

You're like the comedy surgeon in a Monty Python skit, hitting the patient over the head with a mallet after they sit up and say "I'm not dead yet!". :)

Ring 1 owners have a right to be skittish about their product being called obsolete prematurely given how Ring abandoned their original Doorbot product!
Dec 27, 2007
18528 posts
9689 upvotes
Kitchener
Exp315 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 2:00 pm
Fact: It is a currently-available product at Ring: https://shop.ring.com/products/video-do ... 6549589643
Fact: It is a currently-available product at Best Buy, in stock online and in store: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ri ... 89743.aspx?

Like those facts?

You're like the comedy surgeon in a Monty Python skit, hitting the patient over the head with a mallet after they sit up and say "I'm not dead yet!". :)

Ring 1 owners have a right to be skittish about their product being called obsolete prematurely given how Ring abandoned their original Doorbot product!
I never said retailers no longer carry it.
I said, those who clears them never restock despite carrying and restocking V2 and Pro models.
Costco phased it out for the V2 bundle.
HD phased it out.
Lowes phased it out.
Ring was "reportedly" replacing it by V2 for complaining customers.
Now whether Amazon decided to resurrect it to target the sub $100 USD market or they are just clearing stuck inventory at the couple of retailers still carrying it, this wont make it any better of product as of today given current offering and pricing.
Not sure what this is about, people are free to go and read about "actual owner" issues with this particular model esp in Canada (if its working for some good for them, if not call Ring and they will take care of you) but stepping into this when its at MSRP is not something to recommend.
Nov 18, 2008
572 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
been using 720p version for two years now... more than enough.... you're not streaming movies here. I have no problem telling who is at the door with 720p. My friend has the 1080p pro version, although the video quality is much better, i wouldn't consider it necessity more of nice to have.
Apr 19, 2018
47 posts
5 upvotes
It's ridiculous how Amazon is trying to monopolize the smart home market, Nest isn't going to be sold there anymore because they are owned by Google.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6435 posts
2863 upvotes
Paris
flaming homer wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 2:41 pm
You really should read other links before quoting what you jumped on, and even if the PC architecture was imposing 640K limit it still wasn't said by IBM
None of this matters. Tech changes. Sometimes 720p is enough. The quote made sense in a 5kb world.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/