Travel

Rio De Janeiro - March 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 2:15 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2019
4 posts

Rio De Janeiro - March 2020

Looking to possibly plan a trip to Rio for my boyfriends 50th next March.

Looks like there are no direct flights and layovers are quite lengthy. Any tips here? We'd be flying out from YYZ.

Places to stay? I've done the usual searches, right now looking at a hotel called YOO2 Rio de Janeiro. Should we be looking for something in a particular area?

Is a week long enough? Or would 10 days be better?

Thanks for any tips!
3 replies
Feb 27, 2019
1 posts
The only direct flight to Brazil is from YYZ to São Paulo. From there is a short flight to Rio. But probably the best deal is to connect through a hub in USA with a direct flight to Rio (so you don't have to worry about customs clearance during your connection).
The hotel you're looking is in Botafogo neighborhood where you have an stunning view of the Sugar Loaf and a beach but it's unfit for bathing. It's very close to Copacabana and you can take a subway to get there in under 5 minutes. Of course, tourists prefer to stay in Copacabana or Ipanema so you can just walk to the beaches.
One week is enough if you're going to stay just in Rio. Ten days would allow you to visit close towns like Angra dos Reis, Paraty, Armação de Búzios and Cabo Frio which have paradise scenery and beaches, a taste of countryside Brazil, without the rush of the big city setting.
And the basics: take Uber instead of taxis to not be overcharged and don't walk around with jewels, expensive electronics or lots sums of money. Apply sunscreen every few hours and drink a lot of water (or the delicious tropical juices or coconut water). It'll be very hot in March.
It's really a marvelous city, I hope you enjoy!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2437 posts
1324 upvotes
YYZ to Sao Paulo is direct and then a short flight to Rio. I personally would NOT go through the US - the hassle is just not worth it especially if you're not white.

Rio is my fav city...budget 1 week minimum ....also being so close to the equator the sun is unbelievably strong...bring LOTS of sunscreen. I was blistering and peeling for 3 weeks....so painful.
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
113 upvotes
The hotel looks dope. Did you come up with options 2,3, 4 that might be slightly cheaper in the same area with such a view? If so please share as am considering visiting as well

Cheers
KathieD92427 wrote: Looking to possibly plan a trip to Rio for my boyfriends 50th next March.

Looks like there are no direct flights and layovers are quite lengthy. Any tips here? We'd be flying out from YYZ.

Places to stay? I've done the usual searches, right now looking at a hotel called YOO2 Rio de Janeiro. Should we be looking for something in a particular area?

Is a week long enough? Or would 10 days be better?

Thanks for any tips!