RIP Halal chicken @ Popeyes?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 5:22 pm
Tags:
35 replies
Jul 14, 2006
986 posts
165 upvotes
I imagine the opposite, where Tim's and BK in Canada will start serving Halal meat.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7984 posts
1232 upvotes
I didn't even know that was a thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4364 posts
2113 upvotes
Not a fan of hand slaughtered food .. if your killing an animal just do it fast and don't torture them to their death ...
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3835 posts
465 upvotes
Aurora
Does it taste different in any way? If not, I don't see what the problem with a restaurant streamlining their supply chain.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25655 posts
5834 upvotes
GTHA
Sanyo wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:04 am
Not a fan of hand slaughtered food .. if your killing an animal just do it fast and don't torture them to their death ...
this post is irrelevant to this thread, since 2011, the chicken Popeyes is supplied with is machine-slaughtered

"For over 25 years, Popeyes sold hand-slaughtered Halal meat in all of its 59 southern Ontario stores, according to court documents. This occurred without major incident until January this year, when the long-time supplier announced it would be getting out of the hand-slaughtered chicken business because it was moving on to larger birds, an industry trend."
from https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/1 ... icken.html

DiceMan wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:19 am
Does it taste different in any way? If not, I don't see what the problem with a restaurant streamlining their supply chain.
It is not about taste..
To many Muslims, machine-slaughtering cannot be considered Halal because it’s impossible to bless each bird at such a high speed and there are questions surrounding who turns on the machine if he or she is not a believer.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3379 posts
1328 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:30 am
this post is irrelevant to this thread, since 2011, the chicken Popeyes is supplied with is machine-slaughtered

"For over 25 years, Popeyes sold hand-slaughtered Halal meat in all of its 59 southern Ontario stores, according to court documents. This occurred without major incident until January this year, when the long-time supplier announced it would be getting out of the hand-slaughtered chicken business because it was moving on to larger birds, an industry trend."
from https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/1 ... icken.html

It is not about taste..
To many Muslims, machine-slaughtering cannot be considered Halal because it’s impossible to bless each bird at such a high speed and there are questions surrounding who turns on the machine if he or she is not a believer.
And Muslims just trust that the people hand killing their meat are "blessing" each one? Hmm.

If I had to be killed (which I sincerely hope never happens lol) I'd rather be shot in the head (quick death) than have someone kill me by hand while praying and blessing me:)

Let the down votes and outrage begin:)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6716 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 11:14 am
And Muslims just trust that the people hand killing their meat are "blessing" each one? Hmm.

=
I've heard in some people say that the Prayers are played over a PA system in some places.

Most of the Popeyes and Nando's I've visited in the GTA seem to be owned by Muslims and use halal meats.
I assumed maybe the Franchisors was Muslim as well.
With the new takeover, there may or may not be halal for new franchises depending on ownership?
Feb 9, 2013
851 posts
448 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't eat meat, but I know that halal slaughter is often crueler than machine slaughter. I know I'll be downvoted to hell for pointing this out, but it's not that hard to do the Googling yourself and find the truth.
Banned
Mar 26, 2016
91 posts
31 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 11:14 am

If I had to be killed (which I sincerely hope never happens lol) I'd rather be shot in the head (quick death) than have someone kill me by hand while praying and blessing me:)

Let the down votes and outrage begin:)
No different than people thinking the packaged meat they buy is from "ethically" treated animals as required by law or that they're free of contamination and there's no harmful bacteria on it

Lol at people saying halal is somehow worst due to slaughtering method but farm raised animals are aokay for animal welfare
Last edited by SatanicWaffle on Mar 2nd, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Mar 26, 2016
91 posts
31 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 2:09 pm
I don't need to post any websites. You can Google "Halal animal slaughter" and you'll find even Muslim websites debating the ways that halal slaughterhouses operate. Rendering an animal unconscious before machine slaughter is fundamentally less painful to the animal than a human slitting the throat by hand. There are countless instances of botched slaughters by hand where the animal has to needlessly suffer.
So you have no sources that you based your assertion on. That would've been shorter reply than that wall of text you have

Funfact...You can also Google world is flat and find support for that viewpoint
Feb 9, 2013
851 posts
448 upvotes
Ottawa
SatanicWaffle wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 4:47 pm
So you have no sources that you based your assertion on. That would've been shorter reply than that wall of text you have

Funfact...You can also Google world is flat and find support for that viewpoint
Do you think I'm making stuff up because you are too ignorant to do any research yourself? To be completely honest, it doesn't even require research, common sense should give you the answer.

Here is a scientific study published in a prominent journal proving that the halal/kosher method of slaughtering animals causes pain: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 2009.36882

There probably isn't even a point in me linking it to you. I doubt you'll bothering reading it, and even if you did, you probably won't be able to comprehend it.
Nov 23, 2008
295 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a study that compares against the halal method that includes stunning the animal beforehand vs conventional methods? Just curious now.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25655 posts
5834 upvotes
GTHA
iflyplanes wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 6:08 pm
Do you think I'm making stuff up because you are too ignorant to do any research yourself? To be completely honest, it doesn't even require research, common sense should give you the answer.

Here is a scientific study published in a prominent journal proving that the halal/kosher method of slaughtering animals causes pain: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 2009.36882

There probably isn't even a point in me linking it to you. I doubt you'll bothering reading it, and even if you did, you probably won't be able to comprehend it.
fyi, Popeyes uses a supplier that supply's them with machine-slaughtered Halal certified chicken.

"To our loyal fans – we have changed our chicken supplier in Canada for a number of reasons, including supply sustainability, specification adherence, food safety, and brand consistency. As a result, the chicken is now machine processed rather than hand processed. It is, however, still Halal certified. Please visit your local restaurant manager if you have any questions or would like to view the official certificates. We want you to know we made the change to ensure that we can continue to serve you the chicken that you love from Popeyes!"
https://www.facebook.com/PopeyesCanada/ ... 3804394229

Do you have a study that shows machine-slaughtered Halal certified process still causes pain to the animal?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15943 posts
1853 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:30 am
It is not about taste..
I bet if you do a blind comparison of Halal vs. Regular Meat, a Muslim would not be able to tell the difference.