[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6320 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto

RIP Lightroom 6?

RIP Lightroom 6: Death by subscription model

"As we align our investments in the direction of supporting our subscription-based products, the last version of Lightroom 6 will be coming out towards the end of the year. If there is a camera not supported in Lightroom 6, you can use the DNG converter before importing your images into Lightroom 6."

But, wait, what is this Lightroom Classic?

From Lightroom Classic vs Lightroom CC

"A few days ago, Adobe announced an update to continue the Lightroom line: Lightroom Classic. This is the update to both Lightroom 6 and the original Lightroom CC. The interface on Lightroom Classic is exactly the same as the interface in the older versions of Lightroom. This is the upgrade that we all expected — a very traditional continuation of Adobe’s current product line."

It all seems unnecessarily confusing to me.
25 replies
Apr 20, 2017
268 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
Name one product named classic that lasted.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11013 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
Lightroom 6 was well behind the Creative Cloud version for years now. At least Adobe is finally being honest and getting rid of the retail boxed product that they don't properly support.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10597 posts
1682 upvotes
Ottawa
certainly confusing. Basically it seems like Classic is the one advanced version going forward (with subscription) with the normal UI and the CC is the next gen simplified version for mobile/cloud

RIP the old fully paid version
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1562 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Still using 5 and have not find a reason to upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6753 posts
973 upvotes
My understanding is,

LR Classic CC installs on your desktop like LR6, local files stays on your computer, but you need a subscrption to keep using it and get updates.

LR CC is a cloud based app, files are on the cloud and you can access them from desktop, phone and tablet. However, it uses completely different UI and limited features of the Classic.

As someone else mentioned, it would be a lot less confusing if they just named the first one LR Classic, without the CC since the only thing you get from the cloud are updates.
Last edited by hdom on Oct 27th, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4599 posts
152 upvotes
I use Capture One. No Adobe bullshit
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6753 posts
973 upvotes
Honestly, I think a lot of people are looking for alternatives, people are used to standalone software and it makes for little sense for the case of the LR Classic that the subscription is only for continued use and updates.
Oni-kun wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 11:35 pm
I use Capture One. No Adobe bullshit
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9843 posts
4228 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Classic is just LR7, except they want you to pay for it by subscription model (monthly fee), hence the name change. A standalone program has to exist for traveling editors without net access. It doesn't call home first every app startup to let you use it or that would be very impractical for remote users over an extended travel time. However it does call home in order to get updates and I imagine as soon as you DO get net access to see if you're still subscribing or it reverts back to a non fully functional version. It will probably do this check once a month automatically or at a more desired shorter interval ("Check for updates" frequency option).

If you read first users, Classic is supposedly faster than LR6, has new masking features and will support new cameras as they are released. Photogs can continue to use old standalone versions as long as they want just like they do now, it'll just be a hassle when you get a new camera and it can't read new image files (use a converter first). imho, LR6 is pretty mature in terms of available editing tools.

If they continue to improve performance and cataloging features, it basically eliminates the usefulness of PhotoMechanic which is much faster to review/cull/rate large batches of RAWs before editing, and to rename them post for delivery.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4599 posts
152 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:35 am
Does this ever go on sale? Also, is anyone using it with Fuji cameras? Thanks.
I'm not sure. I think there are 10% off codes floating on there somewhere. But If you're on Sony the "Express" version is free and pro version is only $50. So I just paid $50. Sounds like you're on Fuji though?
Jun 4, 2007
683 posts
58 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:39 am
I'm not sure. I think there are 10% off codes floating on there somewhere. But If you're on Sony the "Express" version is free and pro version is only $50. So I just paid $50. Sounds like you're on Fuji though?
Yes, I have a Fuji camera and from what I can tell, the Pro version I need is $300 US. I'd pay $50 in a heartbeat ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4599 posts
152 upvotes
mfrania wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:43 am
Yes, I have a Fuji camera and from what I can tell, the Pro version I need is $300 US. I'd pay $50 in a heartbeat ;)
There is a free trial, you can give it a shot. I think it's for 30 days or something? Then you can decide if you're really missing anything or if it's any good or not.
Jun 4, 2007
683 posts
58 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:52 am
There is a free trial, you can give it a shot. I think it's for 30 days or something? Then you can decide if you're really missing anything or if it's any good or not.
Thanks. I will give it a try for sure before making a decision. There's also Luminar but it's missing the library component (they plan to add it "in the future") .
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6753 posts
973 upvotes
If you are willing to explore, may be download DxO OpticsPro 11 too, is available for free until End of Nov., Reg is USD$100.

Credit goes to OP of thread below:
dxo-opticspro-11-photo-editing-software ... 0-2132004/
mfrania wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:35 am
Does this ever go on sale? Also, is anyone using it with Fuji cameras? Thanks.