• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 10:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
I think Adobe is making a big mistake with this strategy which will only encourage users to seek out alternatives - as this thread seems to demonstrate. I have used LR since it was first released in 2006/2007 and stayed with it from Beta to V6. Moving to a subscription model is simply not something I wish to do and so I will actively try out the alternatives.

A switch away from LR may also trigger the end of me using Microsoft products as LR is the only reason I still run Windows. More and more, I find myself using Linux and Linux applications.
Jun 4, 2007
683 posts
58 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 2:40 pm
If you are willing to explore, may be download DxO OpticsPro 11 too, is available for free until End of Nov., Reg is USD$100.

Credit goes to OP of thread below:
dxo-opticspro-11-photo-editing-software ... 0-2132004/
Yes, I saw that, thanks. Unfortunately OpticsPro does not support Fuji raw files. I'm going to give Capture One and Affinity Photo a try (both offer free trial periods).
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2955 posts
254 upvotes
How are the alternative editing softwares in terms of presets and batch processing?
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2140 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Somebody in Adobe's marketing department is getting fired.
you can't link to your professional website
Toronto Wedding Photographer
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7875 posts
565 upvotes
Screw the subscription model.

I ran LR3 for years until I got a new body that needed a newer version for raw support. Now using lr6 and will continue using that for a long time.

Coupled with the freebie version of photoshop cs2, as a hobbyist, I'm good to go. Save the money for other stuff I actually need instead of staying current for the sake of being up to date.
Oct 8, 2007
989 posts
130 upvotes
Bedford
I have been running a paid licensed LR6 without issue for a couple years now. I use Devinci Resolve ( free version ) for video editing instead of Premiere Pro . I see myself switching from Nikon to Panasonix Lumix gradually, however, it seems Lumix raw files don't have LR profiles anyway. Not sure how it works, but I think the profile info is built into the raw? If this is the case, I will defer going to the cloud model.

As for new LR features, if I shoot good stuff anyway, I spend minimal time in post.

That being said, plenty of the pro photographers I work with have no issue with the Adobe subscription model.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
Since this is RFD, here's a tip.

Contact support to cancel your account for the subscription, they will throw free months at you, so far it 3 months, rinse and repeat.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6745 posts
970 upvotes
They don't keep track to see if you have been doing exactly that ??
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:27 am
Since this is RFD, here's a tip.

Contact support to cancel your account for the subscription, they will throw free months at you, so far it 3 months, rinse and repeat.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:13 pm
They don't keep track to see if you have been doing exactly that ??
Apparently not.

I saw it on Reddit with valid screenshots of the posters billing account.

I'm still on the reduced Adobe Serge discount.

Once that expires I'll jump onto this loop, since you need an active account to push to cancellation.

If it's possible to pay for sub using App Store, another way to cut the cost is to use discounted iTunes cards.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
that's too frequent of a legwork to keep a software running

I started with LR6 and tried Capture One Express...I feel the Capture One engine is more robust but the UI doesn't feel as intuitive as LR.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.