Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1125 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto

Risky play in Park

Hello Parents,

Today my son was hurt on his right shoulder while playing in the park. An adult in the swing bumped him at very high speed (she was swinging dangerously high).

I know that it is public park but with children playing around - as a parents can we ask them politely to reduced speed/heights.

I am not sure if it is a fracture or anything, but he is still crying with pain.

Regards,
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
I think when it comes to the swings it is the responsibility of the person walking around the swings not the person on the swings. Provided they are swinging on the swings (not jumping off of them) they are using the swings as intended and it is the fault of the person walking around the swings to watch out.

It sucks that your child was hurt, but unfortunately I think it is their fault to have known better or someone who was supervising them to have watched them closer. I hope your son recovers without any lasting side effects.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1125 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: I think when it comes to the swings it is the responsibility of the person walking around the swings not the person on the swings. Provided they are swinging on the swings (not jumping off of them) they are using the swings as intended and it is the fault of the person walking around the swings to watch out.

It sucks that your child was hurt, but unfortunately I think it is their fault to have known better or someone who was supervising them to have watched them closer. I hope your son recovers without any lasting side effects.
thank you. I am not looking to fault anyone.

Should adults not swing carefully when kids around? Can we ask her to slow down.

This is not the first encounter with same person.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
gskn4u wrote: thank you. I am not looking to fault anyone.

Should adults not swing carefully when kids around? Can we ask her to slow down.

In my opinion adults should not be playing with the playground equipment at their own skill level - there are too many "slow" users in comparison that are not expecting things like that. But, at the same time, it's a public park and they are well within their rights to use the equipment in the manner it was intended.

You're welcome to ask the adult to slow down, however my personal opinion is you are better off teaching your son how to behave within the playground and avoid the dangers such as the adult swinging at a greater speed. I also believe it would be rude to ask someone who is using the park in it's intended fashion to change their use because you do not like it - they are just as entitled to use it as your son.

Others will feel different and that's perfectly fine. The above is just my opinion.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1125 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: In my opinion adults should not be playing with the playground equipment at their own skill level - there are too many "slow" users in comparison that are not expecting things like that. But, at the same time, it's a public park and they are well within their rights to use the equipment in the manner it was intended.

You're welcome to ask the adult to slow down, however my personal opinion is you are better off teaching your son how to behave within the playground and avoid the dangers such as the adult swinging at a greater speed. I also believe it would be rude to ask someone who is using the park in it's intended fashion to change their use because you do not like it - they are just as entitled to use it as your son.

Others will feel different and that's perfectly fine. The above is just my opinion.
Thank you for your response.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You say you're not looking to blame anyone but you're trying to make excuses. You have to keep better control of your child if they aren't good at paying attention to their surroundings yet.

I know my child got kicked pretty hard by a girl swinging on the monkey bars and the little girl felt so bad and the father apologized multiple times but it wasn't their fault at all. My child ran through the monkey bar area without checking first.

Even if the kid in the swing wasn't swinging very fast there isn't much you can do to stop your momentum once you're in motion.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
TrevorK wrote: In my opinion adults should not be playing with the playground equipment at their own skill level - there are too many "slow" users in comparison that are not expecting things like that. But, at the same time, it's a public park and they are well within their rights to use the equipment in the manner it was intended.

^. This. If it was a large child on the swing would it be different. Yes, adults and older kids should be watching out for younger ones, but if the person is using the playground as intended, it’s up to the other child walking around the swing to watch out. This should be taught to the child on what is the safety rule.

Hopefully your child is feeling better. I would use this as a teaching moment that they have to watch out for their own safety even if there are adults.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1125 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: ^. This. If it was a large child on the swing would it be different. Yes, adults and older kids should be watching out for younger ones, but if the person is using the playground as intended, it’s up to the other child walking around the swing to watch out. This should be taught to the child on what is the safety rule.

Hopefully your child is feeling better. I would use this as a teaching moment that they have to watch out for their own safety even if there are adults.
I believe he would definitely learn - hard way and he is just 4 years old..... just came from hospital and he has a broken bone around his shoulder..
thank you all for the response..
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Poor little guy. That is a extra hard lesson. I hope he does feel better and heals up well and quickly. Sorry he had to learn such a hard way.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
You cannot blame a person for swinging on a swing in a public park. It sucks that your child was hurt but the error was on your son's part. I've seen a lot of swing related accidents in my 10 years of daily park visits with my kids, including ones that involved my kids on both ends. There is nobody to blame, these things happen. Now little brats that throw sand around.....that really pisses me off.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
gskn4u wrote: I believe he would definitely learn - hard way and he is just 4 years old..... just came from hospital and he has a broken bone around his shoulder..
I'm sorry your son is injured - I hope he has a speedy recovery and is back to running around in no time.
Dec 15, 2015
706 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
gskn4u wrote: thank you. I am not looking to fault anyone.

No, teach your children not to walk around the swings when in use. Being 4 is not an excuse, if your child doesn't know better YOU need to pay more attention. Sucks they got hurt but that's 100% on you. My nephew was taught at 2.5 to not go near the swings when someones on it. At 2.5!

It's a swing set, on what basis is this person going to fast? Your personal one? LOL pound salt if so. When we were kids we would try to wrap the swing around the pole. Stop being a helicopter parent to others and focus on your own, they obviously need it if they are running into swing sets being used.

P.S No one likes the Fun Police. If you want to dictate how people use the swing, put one in your backyard and yell at your kids they are having too much fun.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
gskn4u wrote: I believe he would definitely learn - hard way and he is just 4 years old..... just came from hospital and he has a broken bone around his shoulder..
Ever since I started taking my 2.5 year old to parks, that's the thing I drive home the most, stay away from people on swings. As I said, he's 2.5 years old and seems to get it, although I have no doubt he'll have slip ups and I'll have to step in and grab him. People on swings are dangerous to young kids, and it doesn't matter if it's an adult or an older kid on a swing, it's dangerous. As a parent, we have to do what we can to keep our kids safe. For the most part, that's teaching them to avoid danger and when that fails, we have to try to step in physically before they get hurt. They're not always going to listen and we're not always going to get there in time. Injuries are often part of growing up and we can use them as teaching lessons. Don't blame someone who is using a swing as it is designed, don't blame your child for being a child and don't blame yourself for not being Superman and getting there in time. It's just one of those things that happens.

Move on and don't try to remove danger from life, because it's not possible. It's a teaching lesson, nothing more and nothing less
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Sitting on the swing is very therapeutic. Let the adult enjoy the swinging momentum and the view of the clear blue sky. Older adults visit the park early in the morning or late in the evening when the kids are gone. Curfew exists for a reason.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
ultimately its the responsibility of both...there's always going to be some ppl that dont care about anyone else and just do what they do (especially considering that this "adult" has caused you trouble in the past)

as a parent you also need to be vigilant on hazards where ever your child plays...you dont need to hover over them...but when they get close to swings...or near the bottom of a slide...you need to teach them to avoid ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Sorry to hear about your son, mine is 2.5 and has a pair of 6 year old siblings. Keeping him out of the path of others while all he wants.to do is participate is daunting.

Fault or not that must have been a hell of a bump to break a bone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
thelefteyeguy wrote: ultimately its the responsibility of both...
I'm sorry but you are wrong. How would you recommend that the adult avoid hitting a child that runs in their path unless the adult changes thier leasure 'in case' the child gets in the way? The adult has the right to play as well and a swing has a fixed trajectory, as long as the child stays outside that trajectory there is no issue. Telling the adult to modify thier play because they might injure your child puts you in the wrong and teaches your child a poor lesson. The world does not revolve around your child. Some people are jerks and best to be avoided.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1043 posts
836 upvotes
BC
gskn4u wrote: Hello Parents,

Today my son was hurt on his right shoulder while playing in the park. An adult in the swing bumped him at very high speed (she was swinging dangerously high).

I know that it is public park but with children playing around - as a parents can we ask them politely to reduced speed/heights.

I am not sure if it is a fracture or anything, but he is still crying with pain.

Regards,
Small kids are stupid and can benefit from supervision. Your fault.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Bottom line in our 1st world society, "should" is not the same as "will".

Should cars signal before they change lanes? Yes.
Will they? No

More recently,

If you are shooting at a guy, should you wait till they walk out of a playground ? YES

Will they? NO
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
Parks are public property and is open to anyone whether their 1 or 99. Unless your
park has a sign that says noone over 18 allowed, then the person has the right to be on it. It's your choice to tell them not to use the swing or how they swing, it's their choice to listen. If you already knew the person was swinging dangerously then you should have warned your child to keep distance. Lot of parents blaming others for their own fault these days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)