• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2012 10:14 am
[OP]
Dec 6, 2009
29 posts
1 upvote

Road Bike

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me look for a beginners road bike that I can use to get around with. I'm new to the bike scene but want to start biking much more often since the weather has been so nice lately. Looking for a male adult bike since I stand at around 6"2 and weigh around 200lbs. I'm willing to spend around $150-300. I've looked at Canadian Tire/Wal-mart and such but all of their road bikes come up to around $400 and I'm not sure I'm ready to invest in one at that price.

If you could help me with a reputable bike store or website that has a good deal on road bikes, it would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34352 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
You will not get a road bike in that price range.
The closest you can get are the $400 Canadian Tire road bikes. Which is okay depending on use, but they're kinda crappy.

With your price range... You will most likely only be able to afford a low end Road Bicycle that is about 20 years old in rough shape. Truth.

At the upper tier of your price range... Maybe you could afford a mid-range Road Bicycle from the 80s. Maybe...
But these days those type of bikes are very trendy, so that has driven up the price.

Sorry to burst your bubble... but what you're looking for is kind of unrealistic.
A low end road bike from a reputable manufacturer is at least $1000...
So just imagine how low end the ones from Canadian tire are!
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1652 posts
210 upvotes
Those road bikes at Canadian Tire go on sale (or at least used to) for 50% off all the time. Just keep your eye out for one of the sales and you can get a bike for $200. Otherwise, I'd recommend buying used. I think you could get a decent used bike in your price range.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5809 posts
515 upvotes
Greely
Don't bother with the Canadian Tire road bikes, even A
at 50% off. They are heavy and have terrible components. Find a decent used bike in your price range.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 21st, 2012 8:29 pm
You will not get a road bike in that price range.
The closest you can get are the $400 Canadian Tire road bikes. Which is okay depending on use, but they're kinda crappy.

With your price range... You will most likely only be able to afford a low end Road Bicycle that is about 20 years old in rough shape. Truth.

At the upper tier of your price range... Maybe you could afford a mid-range Road Bicycle from the 80s. Maybe...
But these days those type of bikes are very trendy, so that has driven up the price.

Sorry to burst your bubble... but what you're looking for is kind of unrealistic.
A low end road bike from a reputable manufacturer is at least $1000...
So just imagine how low end the ones from Canadian tire are!

wondering what is the price range for one? i got a mid 80's bianchi with nuovo record equipped. ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3385 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
I bought a road bike last year. I started off with a budget of $500 and spent double. I'm also very happy with what I bought.

When it comes to bikes in general, there is a direct relationship between what you spend and the amount of enjoyment you'll derive from the past-time. So if you buy a cheap bike, you are more likely to give up the pastime because you aren't enjoying yourself.

My local bike store has a sign over the cash that says. "Friends don't let friends buy junk".
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2005
5022 posts
6 upvotes
I'm also in the market for a bike although I'm looking for a mountain bike. I am not a bike enthusiast at all but a couple of my friends are. Now that I've actually spent some time looking and test riding bikes at dedicated bike shops, it's a big difference from the last time I rode a bike from CT for example.

I started off with a budget of under $500 if I was going to buy used but I'm now looking into getting a new bike and was even looking at $1000 bikes. The difference is night and day between the CT bikes. Look up some stores on Google maps for stores in your area and give them a visit. They are really knowledgeable people however just be aware that they obviously push brands they carry so visit several that have other brands. Once you found something you like, start comparing prices between stores.

Good luck.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34352 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
The Canadian tire bikes aren't bad if all you care about is point A-B.
But think of it this way... CAnadian Tire bikes are the equivilent to $9999 cars... (Hyundai Accent, Geo Metro) They are the lowest tier of bicycles. But again, if all you care about is the look and getting from A-B... go ahead because their inexpensive.
packardbell wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 8:34 am
wondering what is the price range for one? i got a mid 80's bianchi with nuovo record equipped. ;)

Is it Celeste aka light green/sea foam green/italian light blue?
Thats worth a lot if it is.

I sold my early 1980's era Garin TNT road bike with Campangolo Victory group set. It was in amazing shape and all the components were Campy... Even minor things like brake hoods, seat post, and toe clips were campy. Amazing ride.

I sold it for $500, which I think is a bargain... a bike of that quality brand new is close to $2k.

Your bianchi can probably get you between $400-$800 depending on the condition and components.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 11:09 am
The Canadian tire bikes aren't bad if all you care about is point A-B.
But think of it this way... CAnadian Tire bikes are the equivilent to $9999 cars... (Hyundai Accent, Geo Metro) They are the lowest tier of bicycles. But again, if all you care about is the look and getting from A-B... go ahead because their inexpensive.

Is it Celeste aka light green/sea foam green/italian light blue?
Thats worth a lot if it is.

I sold my early 1980's era Garin TNT road bike with Campangolo Victory group set. It was in amazing shape and all the components were Campy... Even minor things like brake hoods, seat post, and toe clips were campy. Amazing ride.

I sold it for $500, which I think is a bargain... a bike of that quality brand new is close to $2k.

Your bianchi can probably get you between $400-$800 depending on the condition and components.
]

yes it is that light green with blue letters bianchi, that was the trademark color back then lol!
× < >