• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 2:11 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
194 upvotes
lecale wrote: It is.
Depending on the ethnicity it could be short or average. But it's true for an average male height, it's short.
Jun 18, 2017
218 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
6'5", lactose intolerant, just to add fuel to the fire ;)
That's my name...
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
PuddinTame wrote: 6'5", lactose intolerant, just to add fuel to the fire ;)
So when you went through your peak growth/eating machine phase, what kind of stuff did you eat? Something high protein or not really?
Jun 18, 2017
218 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
lecale wrote: So when you went through your peak growth/eating machine phase, what kind of stuff did you eat? Something high protein or not really?
It was a pretty weird time. I grew most of that (13") in one year. I don't remember specifically changing my diet to do it, since when you're a kid you don't think about that kind of thing. I remember we'd get KFC and I'd have like, 8 pieces of chicken, and when we would have stuff like porkchops I'd always have 2-3. Definitely meat was probably most likely.
That's my name...
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
PuddinTame wrote: It was a pretty weird time. I grew most of that (13") in one year. I don't remember specifically changing my diet to do it, since when you're a kid you don't think about that kind of thing. I remember we'd get KFC and I'd have like, 8 pieces of chicken, and when we would have stuff like porkchops I'd always have 2-3. Definitely meat was probably most likely.
See my big brother was really fussy about eating meat but did 4L milk/day --> 6'3".
Dec 2, 2006
514 posts
640 upvotes
Ottawa
What does a Tom Hanks movie have to do with cheese or food labels? Just trying to understand the thought behind the thread title.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
valve wrote: What does a Tom Hanks movie have to do with cheese or food labels? Just trying to understand the thought behind the thread title.
"The road to perdition is paved with good intentions" is a Biblical quote, that that movie titled itself after. :)

Sorry, CORRECTION:
https://idiomation.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... ntentions/

It's not Biblical; just an old saying.
Last edited by Guest439488 on Aug 17th, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
lecale wrote: Well it's an inch sort of average in Canada, but tall in other places https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... _worldwide
Vietnam is listed 5'5 for men... so i'm a few inches taller than my ancestors.
The other men who are 5'11-6'3 would probably be anomoly in Vietnam.
Same with the femAles who are between 5'7-6ft.
Im not bragging or anything. Its just interesting to note what a bountiful diet can do compared to the diet of ural vietnam where my parents are from... their diet of mostly rice,vegetables and meat only when available or for the sick.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Im not bragging or anything. Its just interesting to note what a bountiful diet can do compared to the diet of ural vietnam where my parents are from... their diet of mostly rice,vegetables and meat only when available or for the sick.
It's got to be amazing to go from just being barely fed to moving to a country where everyone is trying to figure out how not to be fat. I'd feed my kids round, I tell ya. Every day would be a celebration.

Honestly though, whatever meager rations you lived on once becomes your soul food. My father lived through the war in Europe and he is a huge fan of soup and macaroni. Somehow he grew tall and I think it was because there was always a supply of milk.

My grandmother used to make this skim milk cheese at home in empty cans called hartzer kase. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harzer It's very cheap to make and low fat but man is it ugly and fetid. If you touch it your fingers smell like you've been playing with stanky feet from a room away. I am always amazed someone could make this as a home job and with no fear, ignore the dubious look and incredibly pungent odor and decide to eat it. Nevermind having cans of this stuff sitting around ripening in your home in an age before Febreze. More amazing to me still, decades after the war once limited his choices, my father still chooses to eat it.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
speedyforme wrote: To be fair, huge and tall does not mean healthier.
+1 Exactly. Most Canadians confused "healthy looking" with healthy.

People who are huge and tall usually have more health issues, especially once they get older. The idea of taller is healthier comes from our entertainment/media industry, not from medical professional.

If you look at life expectancy across different countries all the top spots are taken up by countries where people are in general short and petite.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
csi123 wrote: +1 Exactly. Most Canadians confused "healthy looking" with healthy.

People who are huge and tall usually have more health issues, especially once they get older. The idea of taller is healthier comes from our entertainment/media industry, not from medical professional.

If you look at life expectancy across different countries all the top spots are taken up by countries where people are in general short and petite.
Harvard Medical School:
For nearly 70 years scientists have known that caloric restriction prolongs life. In everything from yeast to primates, a significant decrease in calories can extend lifespan by as much as one-third.