• Sep 22nd, 2017 3:13 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1277 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto

Road trip in Europe - GPS options?

I'm going on a road trip in Portugal towards the end of the year, and have started more serious planning. One of the things I've been looking at is how to best navigate while I'm there. I know I can rent a GPS from the rental company but have thought that I should explore other options. When looking at standalone GPS, I realized that most that are available in Canada are just North American maps, and those with European maps are at a premium, that is if you can find one.

I know I could always use an offline map app on my cell but that would drain my cell battery immensely. Any suggestions and sharing of past experience is much appreciated.

Thanks!
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3628 posts
1074 upvotes
Toronto
Download the app maps.me, when you have access to the internet, download the maps for the regions you'll be visiting. It doesn't drain your battery. Doesn't need data. Works great (have got us around a lot of places already!) Try it at home and see how you get on, its free.
Last edited by wirebound on Jul 17th, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6834 posts
1463 upvotes
Toronto
We were in Germany last year. At Hertz we were told medium size and up come with GPS in the car. We used expedia to get a good rate (better than directly on Hertz).

When we picked up the car (from Berlin train station) it was a Ford C-Max. It did come with GPS. Took a little getting used to, but it was great.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28261 posts
4224 upvotes
Ottawa
I have Italy, France Spain, Germany, England and, Australia for my Tom Tom. All stand alone GPS manufacturers have maps available.
I do know people that have used their phones and ended up sending way more on data than the cost of GPS + maps.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4659 posts
1580 upvotes
wirebound wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:33 am
Download the app maps.me, when you have access to the internet, download the maps for the regions you'll be visiting. It doesn't drain your battery. Doesn't need data. Works great (have got us around a lot of places already!) Try it at home and see how you get on, its free.
Have also heard that WAZE works this way. Download the maps when you have a connection and then works offline, no data required.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4332 posts
521 upvotes
Offline maps can be downloaded on google maps app.

I use Garmin + phone because Garmin can be slow/confused with tight/curvy European roads.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28261 posts
4224 upvotes
Ottawa
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:02 am
Have also heard that WAZE works this way. Download the maps when you have a connection and then works offline, no data required.
I have heard some good but much nt so good about Waze in Europe. In particular, the amount of data it uses.
mebiuspower wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:09 am
Offline maps can be downloaded on google maps app.

I use Garmin + phone because Garmin can be slow/confused with tight/curvy European roads.
Offline maps on such a small device seem useless to me, especially when driving and needing direction quickly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1277 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all, I'll probably go with the offline maps app route.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1277 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
wirebound wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:33 am
Thanks. Do you know if the app has the option to avoid toll roads?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3628 posts
1074 upvotes
Toronto
jjtsl wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:05 pm
Thanks. Do you know if the app has the option to avoid toll roads?
I don't think so ...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3422 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
i just buy a data sim and use google maps.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1130 posts
259 upvotes
Oakville
A buddy of mine has been traveling to Europe quite a bit lately. If you're open to this sort of thing, he found a guy on Kijiji in Brampton that sold him Europe maps on an SD card for his Garmin. IIRC cost was $30 and he said the maps worked fine. The guy had a range of maps for various devices.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4659 posts
1580 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:02 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:55 am
I have heard some good but much nt so good about Waze in Europe. In particular, the amount of data it uses.
Our tour guide in Rome used it and insisted that it didn't require data.

Also, why would it be different than North American where it doesn't require data?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28261 posts
4224 upvotes
Ottawa
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:03 pm
Our tour guide in Rome used it and insisted that it didn't require data.

Also, why would it be different than North American where it doesn't require data?
I am not sure how you can use an app without using data, especially real time GPS data? In North America or in Europe or the rest of the world. The thing is that over here, you probably have a plan that has lots of data but, go over your plan limits and see what it costs you :)
If walking about in a town or a city, you can use a downloaded map (data used to download) just like a paper map, except smaller.
But, when driving, you need constant update of location for the map service to work, regardless of the app.