Travel

Roam mobility?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 1:27 pm
Tags:
Feb 13, 2016
866 posts
1163 upvotes
Has anyone used roam mobility on a drive to new york city? Hoping to get one to use for GPS and of course when in New York but more considered about the GPS.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
I've used it driving to NYC. It was fine whenever I would stop for a break. However, I didn't use it for GPS so the signal could have been an issue part of the way and I didn't notice it.

I just came back from 3 days in Philadelphia and it worked fine for me for data. I didn't make or receive a single phone call. I did notice that the number of bars was lower than I would have expected. However the phone was indicating that I was getting 4G.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7080 upvotes
West GTEH!
Does it matter which RM SIM card you use? I have a non-4G LTE SIM and a 4G LTE SIM.
Will be using for Talk & Text only for upcoming trip.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Webhead wrote: Does it matter which RM SIM card you use? I have a non-4G LTE SIM and a 4G LTE SIM.
Will be using for Talk & Text only for upcoming trip.
For talk and text it won't make a difference.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1605 posts
175 upvotes
Markham
Worked fine in vegas in June. I did find certain spots or time it was a little slow but nothing that bothered me. For the most part it was good
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7080 upvotes
West GTEH!
Newbie question:

IF you sign up for a plan, how do you know it will work once you are in USA? If it doesn't work, are you SOL?
I've read some people were SOL and other people have had no issues. And Roam CS is non-existent.

I'm with KOODO and they do have USA add-ons, but I only really need it 1 day at the beginning and another day at the end of my trip to the US.
If I was with Bell or Rogers, I'd definitely use their Roam Like Home $5/day add-on.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
Webhead,

You can find out in advance if Roam service is good depending on where you're going, Then I suggest you learn in advance how to set up the network access point (Wholesale) when you get there. If you do those things you're very likely to be OK.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7080 upvotes
West GTEH!
Phils wrote: Webhead,

You can find out in advance if Roam service is good depending on where you're going, Then I suggest you learn in advance how to set up the network access point (Wholesale) when you get there. If you do those things you're very likely to be OK.
Phils,

I've checked coverage area where I am going and it looks to be excellent signal. I've already set up the APN (Wholesale) on my phone.
Just hoping if I sign up I won't run into any issues with service for where I'm going in USA when I turn on my phone with ROAM SIM card. I know there's no 100% guarantee for anything.
😎
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
used in Chicago over the weekend...no issues really. Used in Orlando in December...no issues.

anyways...i had 2 phones...6S(plus)...constant connection to LTE, but on the 5S...i did have some issues of internet disconnection. So perhaps its also phone related.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
The only issue I had one time was that I added 3 hours rather than subtracting from when my sub would start because of the pacific time zone that they use. It meant that my sub was programmed to start 6 hours after I wanted it. It was my mistake. I called and they fixed it right away as it couldn't be fixed online.

That wouldn't be possible now with no telephone tech support.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7080 upvotes
West GTEH!
Phils wrote: The only issue I had one time was that I added 3 hours rather than subtracting from when my sub would start because of the pacific time zone that they use. It meant that my sub was programmed to start 6 hours after I wanted it. It was my mistake. I called and they fixed it right away as it couldn't be fixed online.

That wouldn't be possible now with no telephone tech support.
So, If I planned a start time for 12:00AM, this would be Pacific Time? And if I'm on the East Coast USA, the TRUE start time would be 3:00AM Eastern Time. Is this right?
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
They have since updated their site and you can now pick your timezone.

My real point above was that no matter what you do or how well you prepare, sometimes Murphy's law takes over. That was probably my 5th or 6th time using Roam and I never should have made that newbie mistake. My particular situation should never have happened.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7080 upvotes
West GTEH!
Thanks to everyone's comments about Roam Mobility.

I decided to try the Talk & Text plan last week for my Cruise out of Miami. Was a little worried about the service not working.

As it turned out everything worked out perfectly. Swapped out to the Roam SIM card in Buffalo ( Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale flight) and got 5 bars signal strength. Made a couple calls and sent a few text msg. The calls were clear.
Got into Fort Lauderdale and Miami Port and still got 5 bars signal. Made a few calls and sent a few texts. All worked perfectly.

I only needed the service for 2 days and for $3.95/day, this worked for me. I don't use Rogers or Bell or Telus for my Cell service, so I couldn't use their Roam like Home service.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Is Roam still worth getting?
I use Fido for data only and don't think it offers roaming.

or if there's another option that anyone is aware of, any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
Many foreign SIM cards offer free roaming in the US - Canadian carriers have some of the worst (if not the worst) roaming rates in the entire world. Roam does not seem to offer particularly good value IMO.

I have a 3 mobile SIM card from the UK and top it up online whenever I go to the US - 5GBP for 500MB (~$8.00) or 10GBP for 1GB (~$16.50). There are higher options as well. They have free roaming all over the EU, US, and many other countries.

Most Mexican SIM cards also offer free roaming in the US now. I also have a Telcel SIM card from Mexico which I can also top up and use in the US. 200 Mexican pesos (~$14) gets you 1.5GB of data. The Telcel SIM card also even has free roaming in Canada - so whenever I have a friend/family visiting from overseas, I top it up and let them use it. The great thing is that this SIM card also has free calling in the US/Mexico/Canada, so they can also make local calls while here in Canada.

Both of these SIMs have 365 days validity, so it's easy to keep them active.
Jun 11, 2005
478 posts
22 upvotes
Woodbridge
I've received an email from Roam that my SIM card will be expiring.
I will be travelling to the USA in the spring and I would like to use this card.

Is there a way to extend my SIM so that it doesn't expire?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
Buy a day now. Schedule it for the last day it will accept which should be a year from now and then move it up when you know the exact day you will be travelling in the spring. Don't move it up on the last day before you travel as there could be a delay before the schedule change takes effect.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
S U wrote: I've received an email from Roam that my SIM card will be expiring.
I will be travelling to the USA in the spring and I would like to use this card.

Is there a way to extend my SIM so that it doesn't expire?
I received a similar email about two weeks ago. We're going to the US in three weeks, so I bought 4 days on my existing number. If you don't want to let it expire, you can buy already for the days you know you'll be in the States next year.