Cell Phones

Roam Mobility data only plan for uber/whatsapp?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 1:32 pm
[OP]
Oct 31, 2002
818 posts
18 upvotes

Roam Mobility data only plan for uber/whatsapp?

Hi
Heading to the US and going to try Roam Mobility for the first time. Will mainly need it for uber and Whatsapp.
If I get the data only plan, will this work for uber and whatsapp?
I guess I am wondering if I only add the data only plan, will there be a number associated with the account so I can register it with Whatsapp? (I assume it is a yes, since I think the sim card will have a number assigned to it regardless of the plan I sign up for)
And for uber, does it require sms service to be functional? (which wouldn't be active if I get a data only plan)

thanks for any help.
6 replies
Sep 14, 2017
14 posts
7 upvotes
If you had registered WhatsApp with your Canadian number on your cell phone before going to the US, WhatsApp should continue to work on that device even though you swap in a Roam Mobility SIM card while in the US.
If you are talking about registering a new WhatsApp account with the Roam Mobility SIM with a data plan only, not sure if that will work since you will have to be able to receive the PIN number via SMS or call to register. If you have a data plan only, I doubt you will be able to receive a text message or calls.

The safer way would be to take their $4.95 Talk+Text+Data plan for the first day so you can register the app and then use the data only plan for the remaining days of your stay. Roam Mobility lets you schedule all that ahead of time online in your account.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4109 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
igk wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:25 pm
Hi
Heading to the US and going to try Roam Mobility for the first time. Will mainly need it for uber and Whatsapp.
If I get the data only plan, will this work for uber and whatsapp?
I guess I am wondering if I only add the data only plan, will there be a number associated with the account so I can register it with Whatsapp? (I assume it is a yes, since I think the sim card will have a number assigned to it regardless of the plan I sign up for)
And for uber, does it require sms service to be functional? (which wouldn't be active if I get a data only plan)

thanks for any help.
1. You are better off borrowing another cheap phone generating a wifi hotspot for your original Canadian phone. Or better still, if you travel a lot, get a dual SIM phone.
2. AFAIK, Whatsapp won't allow registration of RM SIM #. Please double check.\
3. You won't get sms unless your Canadian SIM is in your phone
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
[OP]
Oct 31, 2002
818 posts
18 upvotes
Thanks.
I have sent Roam Mobility a support ticket to ask them about using Whatsapp with their sim card.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4109 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
igk wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:30 pm
Thanks.
I have sent Roam Mobility a support ticket to ask them about using Whatsapp with their sim card.

I would not recommend you or anyone using the SIM from RM for Whatsapp verification.
RM is meant for Canadians going south. It is not geared for year round use.
I had a case whereby a friend in Canada continued to use the SIM from HK for Whatsapp. After 5 months, somebody (in HK) took over her Whatsapp account as her HK phone # was recycled and the new user took over. I was shocked that I was talking to somebody else all of a sudden.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
[OP]
Oct 31, 2002
818 posts
18 upvotes
Here is the reply I got from Roam Mobility:

If you wish to use WhatsApp, you will need a plan that includes Texting and Data since you will need to be able to receive an SMS message in order to create a WhatsApp account. The two plans which offer this will be the Talk+Text+Data plan, and the Text+Data plan.
Sep 11, 2013
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
igk wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 8:58 pm
Here is the reply I got from Roam Mobility:

If you wish to use WhatsApp, you will need a plan that includes Texting and Data since you will need to be able to receive an SMS message in order to create a WhatsApp account. The two plans which offer this will be the Talk+Text+Data plan, and the Text+Data plan.
SMS is needed if you are creating a new account.

I used Whatsapp, Wechat and Fongo with existing accounts and foreign SIM cards without any problem. I used Roam Mobility's voice and data plan in the same way but have not tried the data only plan yet. I hope it's the same with the data only plans, as I will use it soon.