209 posts
180 upvotes

Free Roam Mobility Sim Card for travel to the USA

Price:
Expiry:
December 31, 2018
Retailer:
Roam Mobility
Great news! As a Zoomer subscriber, you're eligible to receive a free Roam SIM card ($9.95 value) with free Canada-wide shipping.

Includes a US phone number
No contracts
No activation fees

If the Direct click on this link is not working... https://get.roammobility.com/zoomer/

Then you need to copy and paste this link in quotes "https://get.roammobility.com/zoomer/" into a browser and Fill-out the form below to get your free SIM:

This is advertised in the Zoomer magazine. However, the terms and conditions didn't specify that you have to be a Zoomer magazine subscriber or a Zoomer customer.

Since Redflagdeals add their referral link to it, you may have to type in the link directly for this to work

Free SIM offer ends at 11:59pm Pacific Time on December 31, 2018. To qualify for a free SIM, you must submit the completed form above before the offer end date. Once your form has been submitted, please allow 10-15 business days for your order to be processed and shipped. Delivery may take additional time. Offer is valid for a free Roam Mobility USA Travel SIM Card (reg. $9.95), plus free shipping within Canada. Limit one free SIM per customer. Online only. While quantities last. No rain checks. Offer subject to change without notice

I got mine in less than one week with free shipping. I have used Roam mobility many times and the reception is always great.

Great Information from MikeVTO, WetCoastGuy and rsv007. Thanks!

How exactly does this mobility SIM work?

You have to link the SIM to your Roam Mobility account. You need to then activate a roaming plan whenever you're travelling and while the plan is active, you won't incur any roaming fees. It does not give you free roaming for life...

Do you get a phone number as soon as you register the SIM?"
Yes, after you register you will have your number (back in 2014, you were able to pick where but now it just gives you one that's available - could be from some place you'll never go to). You can add the plan later. I believe registering it starts the 365 day expiry clock (??)

Is it I simply insert this in my phone ...
Correct, as long as your phone is unlocked.

Is this Free roaming for life?!"

Free roaming in US for the life of the plan you paid for. Can be as little as one day. There are also plans for long-term stays (eg snowbirds). SIM will stay valid as long as you buy at least 1 plan with 365 days of the previous plan.
Without an active plan, emergency calls are the only thing that's possible AFAIK. Same thing if you are still in Canada (or any place not in the US) when a plan is active.
There are no roaming charges because basically their SIM piggybacks off the T-mobile network in the US, so it is just a US SIM that you can call US and Canadian phone numbers and not a Canadian SIM, which would incur roaming charges if used in the US. You have to use it once a year to keep it active though.
Last edited by alli on Sep 21st, 2018 10:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
Thread Summary
January 2019 Update: This freebie is still available despite the 31Dec18 expiry date.

I ordered a couple of Roam SIMs on 13Jan using these URLs:

Code: Select all

1. https://get.roammobility.com/zoomer/#lp-pom-block-446
2. https://get.roammobility.com/zoomer/
17Jan19: I just got emails saying that they've shipped.
81 replies
Aug 27, 2012
319 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, but the Link doesn’t work for me
Dec 5, 2012
151 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Worked for me! Thanks, OP!

You need to copy and paste the link.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1596 posts
497 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
One more extra Roam sim for the pile.. thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1420 posts
667 upvotes
TORONTO
You can't argue with a free SIM, but the quality of Roam Mobility's service has gone down the tubes.

I've used them for a number of years in the USA, and always had good service.

I went to the USA this summer, and Roam Mobility was horrible. Roam Mobility uses T-Mobile's network in the USA, and I discovered that T-mobile has made a number of changes recently. They turned off their 3G network entirely, and their 4G/LTE service only works on a few frequency bands that many (most?) Canadian phones aren't compatible with. T-mobile still has a smattering of 2G coverage in the USA, but I'd only get 2G signal maybe 1/3 of the time. This was in two big cities.

Roam Mobility's customer service was completely useless.

Roam Mobility used to be a decent service for travelers, but it's now next to useless. Don't waste your money.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1207 posts
808 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
M8Rxmjsik wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 2:48 am
You can't argue with a free SIM, but the quality of Roam Mobility's service has gone down the tubes.

I went to the USA this summer, and Roam Mobility was horrible. Roam Mobility uses T-Mobile's network in the USA, and I discovered that T-mobile has made a number of changes recently. They turned off their 3G network entirely, and their 4G/LTE service only works on a few frequency bands that many (most?) Canadian phones aren't compatible with. T-mobile still has a smattering of 2G coverage in the USA, but I'd only get 2G signal maybe 1/3 of the time. This was in two big cities.

Roam Mobility used to be a decent service for travelers, but it's now next to useless. Don't waste your money.
I found Roam to use AT&T in Seattle area. And it was pretty trash. If anything I think Tmo is better than ATT
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1072 posts
409 upvotes
North York, ON
Thanked OP. Free is free so zero risk. Use Roam every year to go south to FLA and have never had any issues except for the same 10 min stretch in the Smokys.
Oct 7, 2009
602 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
M8Rxmjsik wrote:
Do we have a better choice which offers better network for around similar cost ?
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
Feb 28, 2015
393 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lol, I just bought one yesterday at Staples for $4.95! I needed it for Sunday anyway, go Bills!
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1072 posts
409 upvotes
North York, ON
M8Rxmjsik wrote:

Carriers are closing down either 2G or 3G (Carrier's choice). Carriers will then be able to utilize the 2G or 3G spectrum for 4G/ LTE. All in preparation for 5G and whether removal of 2G, 3G happens now or later it's gonna happen. IMO it's a good thing.
May 26, 2011
381 posts
201 upvotes
I'd appreciated if the title said zoomer customers only.
Koodo, Freedom Mobile, booking.com, airbnb, AMEX, Ebates, Top Cash Back, Drop, TransferWise, Questrade, Carrot, EQ, Achieva, PayTM and Tangerine customer.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2419 posts
1944 upvotes
Calgary
jigz787 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 7:14 am
Do we have a better choice which offers better network for around similar cost ?
Hit a Wallyworld there and pick up a prepaid handset or SIM for cheap. Services running off Verizon and AT&T (Cricket prepaid) will give you the most coverage. Straight Talk runs off the LTE towers of all the major carriers but speed is the worst of the prepaid bunch, and customer service is horrid.

Only MetroPCS (TMo), Boost and Virgin (both Sprint) don't throttle speeds.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/cell-pho ... 35_1081104
Last edited by FatWallet on Aug 25th, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2151 posts
706 upvotes
Burnaby
Travelling in washington right now. Reception is better than last year
Jan 25, 2017
6 posts
I used Roam Mobility a couple of weeks ago. Great service. Talked on the phone across I-90 and used data for GPS for about 6 hours straight. Worked flawlessly. Fast updates from Google play and my Facebook and WhatsApp video uploads were faster than what I would get locally.
Used to be Canucklehead until a RFD security breach. Could not reset my pwd.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If You Don't Have Time to Do It Right, You'd Better Have Time to Do It Over!