• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2017 6:30 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
canconsumer wrote: I would use Roam again. If they reactivate the SIM they expired on me after all those years and ensure their LTE service is keeping up with newer mvno competition...
Oh, RM needs to keep those numbers (your expired SIMs) alive to allow you to reactivate. I suppose that is free then.
Competition is always fierce in the US unlike those in Canada
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Jun 26, 2016
299 posts
37 upvotes
just to update, I used roam again this past week in Chicago, Utah and Dallas with zero problems.
Mar 17, 2008
808 posts
660 upvotes
Ontario
enko wrote: Worst part was them changing the SIM to expire 6mo instead of 12mo.

Does FreedomPOP sim's expire for those who only go to the usa once a year?
We chose KnowRoaming partly because of their expiration policy. SIM and assigned US number never expire. Prepaid amounts do not expire unless they go unused for 15 months. Prior to K-R, we picked up an AT&T sim at border. It expired after about 6 months and $25 air time after 90days. K-R is on the AT&T network where we are in USA. Calls are cheaper than AT&T and we have data when needed. I did look at RM, but it did not fill the bill for our type of usage and then there were the many negative reports.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
AncasterRFD wrote: We're currently driving to NJ/NY and I'm on Public Mobile roaming on T-Mobile and ATT LTE, bouncing flawlessly between carriers (I'm the passenger confirming trip details, doing additional planning, surfing).

When I was on ROAM, signal would drop between cities as being only on TM. It was also inconsistent in coverage areas. Mainly, the customer service woes have completely turned me off e.g.; no service after setup, no refunds/credits, etc.

No switching SIMs is nice.

The only thing ROAM might be good for is US day trips.
Which US roaming plan did you sign up with Public Mobile? I checked their website and it is 1GB for $20 for 10 days. Was it enough for you guys?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
canabiz wrote: Which US roaming plan did you sign up with Public Mobile? I checked their website and it is 1GB for $20 for 10 days. Was it enough for you guys?

It was for us, considering hotel wifi is free on the night before the cruise, however it was a 12 night sail so I bought more in Puerto Rico for the ride home, as the plan expired in 10d.
It depends on your usage habits. We mainly used it for Google Maps and light surfing, no video, and there was no reception in the Caribbean anyway other than PR. I set up a shared hotspot on the phone that had it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
canabiz wrote: Which US roaming plan did you sign up with Public Mobile? I checked their website and it is 1GB for $20 for 10 days. Was it enough for you guys?

1GB is more than enough for a two day trip assuming you're not using it for streaming media. For looking things up, GPS use, etc, 1GB is plenty. Just don't use it to watch youtube
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Dave98 wrote: 1GB is more than enough for a two day trip assuming you're not using it for streaming media. For looking things up, GPS use, etc, 1GB is plenty. Just don't use it to watch youtube
Ditto. I always get their data (only )service 2 Gb at Can$30. It is a steal as to my set up. (Can$10 for 300 Mb 3 days)
...........................................................4G as shown below

I flew in and out (not driving) and I always got 4g (aka LTE) as shown.

I can choose to answer calls coming from Canada (Chatr via T Mobile as shown). In all likelihood, I call back with Hangout dialer
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)