Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Roam Mobility

ROAM MOBILITY SIM CARD BOGO FREE!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2016 2:12 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1765 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
True that Freedompop voice is "data only" but they offer 2 types of services.

1. They have the CDMA service that comes with a phone and runs on the Sprint network in the US. Data is upto 1GB of free data per month
or
2. They offer a Global "Sim only" option that is GSM based and runs on the AT&T HSPA+ network in the US and works in many countries around the world centered mostly in Europe (excludes Canada). SIM regularly goes on sale for $1 and you get upto 700mb data per month. This option works with any unlocked GSM capable phone.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Thanks redboy69 for clarifications.
I stand corrected and I have edited my post above.
Feb 17, 2009
585 posts
921 upvotes
redboy69 wrote: True that Freedompop voice is "data only" but they offer 2 types of services.

1. They have the CDMA service that comes with a phone and runs on the Sprint network in the US. Data is upto 1GB of free data per month
or
2. They offer a Global "Sim only" option that is GSM based and runs on the AT&T HSPA+ network in the US and works in many countries around the world centered mostly in Europe (excludes Canada). SIM regularly goes on sale for $1 and you get upto 700mb data per month. This option works with any unlocked GSM capable phone.
Yes, that is my understanding too. I bought two Freedompop global sim cards and was planning to use them on an old GSM-capable Galaxy 551 phone. But I've been reading conflicting reports online about how it works with certain GSM-capable phones and not others. Does it require higher versions of the Android OS to operate? When I get my sims, I'll try it out but not sure how to test it while in Canada. Anyone know?
Jul 1, 2010
569 posts
354 upvotes
Just let my ROAM Sim card expired last week...
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1765 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
snootchiebootchies wrote:
redboy69 wrote: True that Freedompop voice is "data only" but they offer 2 types of services.

or
Yes, that is my understanding too. I bought two Freedompop global sim cards and was planning to use them on an old GSM-capable Galaxy 551 phone. But I've been reading conflicting reports online about how it works with certain GSM-capable phones and not others. Does it require higher versions of the Android OS to operate? When I get my sims, I'll try it out but not sure how to test it while in Canada. Anyone know?
Download the FP messaging app and you can test it over WiFi in Canada. If the account is active, then you will see your account info in the app. If the Sim is not associated with your account yet, message the Freedompop rep in Slickdeals.net and provide your account email address and Sim IMEI # and he can activate the Sim card for you. He responds pretty quickly and is really helpful.
Or you can call the FP customer service number and do the same although I find their customer service atrocious.
Dec 1, 2013
483 posts
204 upvotes
bigphil26 wrote:
Alex1114 wrote: Why is the subject all caps? Not much of a deal.. why would many people need two sims anyway?

Not happy that roam raised their prices either. I have not heard of Freedom pop though, I'll look into it now
Families will need more than one as not everyone will stay together for an entire trip.
Yes agreed, I didn't say why would anyone need two sims, I said why would many need it. I was referring to how the subject was capitalized making it look like a jaw dropping deal. I don't see many other threads on here that are all caps when you save ten dollars.

As far as I can recall and looking at my history of emails from them, they've frequently had some sort of promotion running for ordering multiple sim cards.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
snootchiebootchies wrote: [...] When I get my sims, I'll try it out but not sure how to test it while in Canada. Anyone know?
If you ordered Freedompop SIMs (the global kind) but have not received them yet, you can still use the service (voice and text) over WIFI in Canada, using the Freedopop Android app and your Freedompop account credentials. Even on WIFI, you will consume minutes/texts from your plan's monthly quota (e.g. for the Basic200 free plan, you have every month 200 minutes of voice, 500 texts, incoming texts are not free).
There are two Freedompop apps on Google Play:
- first app called "FreedomPop Messaging", which only works on phones purchased from Freedopop and only if there is a Freedopop SIM card inserted in the phone;
- a second app called "FreedomPop OTT Call and Text", which works on any android BYOD phone, even without a Freedopop SIM inserted (but you will need WIFI or other data connection).

To use the service in Canada before you get the SIMS, install the second app, "FreedomPop OTT Call and Text".
To make things more complicated, neither app is available for download from Canadian Google Play accounts; you must either sideload it (the version from apkpure.com works fine), or you need a US Google account.
Last edited by ahoroba on Oct 22nd, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What's the big difference between Roam Mobility and FPOP?

Ive been using Roam mobility recently, and I haven't had any problems. Reliable, I pay $5 for LTE and unlimited text/data to Canada when I'm in the US, and I can use my own phone. How does FPop work? Same thing but cheaper??? I do have to refill it once every 6 months if I don't go to the US, but that's not a big deal since it's only $2....
Sep 9, 2016
79 posts
6 upvotes
Montreal
Do any of these Sim providers enable signing up to google voice? Ideally I would order the SIM before my trip to US, and then activate the day of. I don't need data as I could stop at a free Wifi hotspot.
Jan 20, 2015
20 posts
7 upvotes
North York, ON
You can try knowroaming. The service is fantastic. I got reply for my question as short as a few hours later. Same thing with support after purchase.
There are pro and con. But for me better it fits perfect.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)