Cell Phones

Roaming on new phone? Is it normal? (Fido account on unlocked Rogers phone)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2007 10:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes

Roaming on new phone? Is it normal? (Fido account on unlocked Rogers phone)

So I just purchased an HTC Tytn from a Rogers customer, and he told me the phone was unlocked.
I am with Fido, and after putting my Fido SIM card in the unlocked Tytn, I get an icon show up on the top of the screen telling me that I am roaming.
Otherwise, the phone works fist fine. I have received a couple of calls, made a couple of calls, and all is well.

So I guess the phone is unlocked, but I am a little concerned about the roaming symbol I get on the top of the display.

I actually called Fido to see if they could tell me if roaming charges are being charged, but they said they are only able to tell me this when the next bill is sent out, which kinda sucks. Don't want to pay a month's of roaming..

Should I worry about it? Will I get charged roaming charges on Fido?
Is this normal?
3 replies
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Fido does not have a HOME NETWORK Anymoe. All Fido Phones will now ROAM on the Rogers network. The Roaming is normal, its been like this for over 2 years since Rogers completed network integration.

Fido "Can" fix this, but have chosen Not to, or Not right now.. or maybe "yelp" Never!
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Outsider wrote: I actually called Fido to see if they could tell me if roaming charges are being charged, but they said they are only able to tell me this when the next bill is sent out
LOL what a bunch of B.S. from FIDO. Then how are they going to know what your roaming charges are if they even tell you right now if you are roaming or not?
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: LOL what a bunch of B.S. from FIDO. Then how are they going to know what your roaming charges are if they even tell you right now if you are roaming or not?
Roaming charges will only be incurred if you are Roaming on a Tower that DOES NOT BELONG TO FIDO OR ROGERS. Like Cingular or T-mobile or AT&T for that matter. THATS ROAMING
The roaming indicator does not know a rogers tower appart from a cingular tower, but you do and so does the billing system and the operator logo as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)