• Feb 21st, 2019 3:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6063 posts
436 upvotes
TO
lazybummer wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 4:45 pm
Strange that no one has mentioned Most Sim on T-Mobile. I am considering the 7-day sim for $21.95 + shipping on Amazon.ca that comes with Unlimited data. I'll wait as I don't need it until May. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.
Id; buy this right away but my trip starts on Feb. 12 in LA and it says shipping anywhere from Feb 8 - Feb 20 lol (wonder if they're shipping from US) s/h is $2.75
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14639 posts
7043 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TorontoEh wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 12:37 pm
Guys, I read thru this thread and it seems Roam's coverage is a hit or miss in US. But what about their LTE 4G Data only plans coverage? If i just get the 1 GB for $21?
Roam Mobility and many others use T-Mobile. T-Mobile has good coverage in urban areas but trails AT&T in rural areas, especially away from interstates and other main highways. Note I said, "trails." In my experience in remote rural parts of NY and PA, T-Mobile provides coverage most of the time. But it's just not as good or consistent as colleagues get on AT&T or Verizon.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14639 posts
7043 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TorontoEh wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 1:13 pm
Id; buy this right away but my trip starts on Feb. 12 in LA and it says shipping anywhere from Feb 8 - Feb 20 lol (wonder if they're shipping from US) s/h is $2.75
Is that estimated shipping to Canada? If shipping to a US destination is faster then perhaps have them ship it to your hotel in LA or wherever you're staying.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6063 posts
436 upvotes
TO
bylo wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 1:23 pm
Is that estimated shipping to Canada? If shipping to a US destination is faster then perhaps have them ship it to your hotel in LA or wherever you're staying.
Yes it's estimated, you're right that a better option. I think i may take a chance on Roams data only plan.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)
Nov 30, 2015
252 posts
112 upvotes
GTA, ON
TorontoEh wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 1:13 pm
The 7-day sim is also available at $29.99 that will ship from GTA fulfilled by Amazon. You need to click the "new" to see it.

Try this link instead
Feb 4, 2017
85 posts
48 upvotes
Hi all, I'm going on a "round the world" trip with a companion this spring and am looking into connectivity/data options. We will be visiting 8 foreign countries in a 3-week period (USA, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey, Germany, and Switzerland). Koodo easyroam is $12 a day so I'm hoping for something cheaper than that.

I also occasionally travel to the USA for short periods of time (under 24 hours) and will likely have a handful of other trips abroad.

I'm liking the package that Keepgo offers with the portable WiFi for $99 USD. This would cover the minimal data usage (Google maps, Instagram pictures, etc.) that my companion and I need while on the go for our trip, and then I could take out the SIM and just keep it inactive in the 2nd SIM slot on my phone and use small bits of data at a time when I'm in the USA for a few hours or when I go on other trips. And then if I want to keep it going after the first year it's just a $35 USD top up per year.

Am I right in thinking they're the best option or is there something better?

EDIT: I contacted them and was told that the SIM card in the mobile wifi is not interchangeable with my phone (which only takes nano-SIMs). So I might just look into getting two SIM cards instead, which might be better because it gets us twice as much data for our trip!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2779 posts
1194 upvotes
Everywhere
etgohomeok wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 3:38 pm
Hi all, I'm going on a "round the world" trip with a companion this spring and am looking into connectivity/data options. We will be visiting 8 foreign countries in a 3-week period (USA, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey, Germany, and Switzerland). Koodo easyroam is $12 a day so I'm hoping for something cheaper than that.
If you visit Singapore early in your travels, I recommend Starhub Prepaid.

For S$50 (about C$50), you get 100GB (not a typo) of local data for ten days, 5GB of roaming data for 30 days and $50 of credit that is good for 180 days. Data costs about $5/GB, so that's another 10GB of roaming data. Starhub roams in the following countries,
Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States of America
You just need to find a provider, maybe three.co.uk, for the remaining, Turkey, Germany, and Switzerland and you're gold!
Feb 4, 2017
85 posts
48 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 8:31 pm
If you visit Singapore early in your travels, I recommend Starhub Prepaid.

For S$50 (about C$50), you get 100GB (not a typo) of local data for ten days, 5GB of roaming data for 30 days and $50 of credit that is good for 180 days. Data costs about $5/GB, so that's another 10GB of roaming data. Starhub roams in the following countries,

You just need to find a provider, maybe three.co.uk, for the remaining, Turkey, Germany, and Switzerland and you're gold!
That's a good one to know about! Unfortunately I don't think it's ideal for my trip since Singapore is in the middle and the three countries not covered are all after, so I think I'll stick with Keepgo, but that would definitely be a good option for others especially since it comes with so much data!
Jan 4, 2014
765 posts
205 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I've never heard of this Most Sim on T-Mobile. I'll be going to Florida for 10 days in March, and it seems like a great deal. Considered getting the t mobile travellers sim, but this seems even better with unlimited data. Are they reputable? Anyone with first hand experience with this sim?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1400 posts
272 upvotes
Renous
Thanks to the O/P! But there's a lot to digest here.

Wife and I will be doing a bit of globetrotting very soon - leaving Feb. 24 and hoping to have one solution for everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We'll be driving to USA on Feb. 23, flying to Dublin, Ireland on Feb. 24 (arriving Feb. 25), fly to Paris on Feb. 26, for one day, the back to Dublin on Feb. 27. We'll be staying on USA for the remainder of the trip - Feb. 27 until our return to Canada Mar. 5 or 6 (depending on weather)

Would roammobility cover us for texting in Europe? That's the only thing we will need, no voice, and no data. We're with Koodo, and $12 a day is a bit much for roaming imho...

*Edit* roammobility apparently does not cover Europe, only the US. They have a sister company called alwaysonlinewireless, but it only adds data at not attractive rates. For the Europe leg of our trip, it's looking like $12 / day from Koodo might be the cheapest option since it's only for a few days. Otherwise we would have to buy a SIM and then add the service which I'm seeing is going to be more than $48.. Maybe I'm missing something for Europe??

Thanks!
Reserved for future time travellers
Mar 11, 2011
665 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
So how much would you be texting? I'm the person who wrote the review on Piranha Mobile earlier in the thread and I can tell you how it works for me.

https://piranha-mobile.com

The sim card is free. They mail it for $3.50. (All prices in US$)
You put credit into your account. You only pay when you use it. No monthly fees. Your credit lasts forever, as long as you make 1 call per year.
Texting costs 10 cents in U.S. and Ireland. 20 cents in France. Do the math. They will give you a Canadian number for 50 cents/month, if you wish.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14639 posts
7043 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
In addition to Piranha there are many multi-country SIMs, each with their own rate structure, restrictions, quirks, etc. A good summary to start from is Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki-All countries and maybe also All countries2 if carrying a WiFi hotspot is an option. From what I can see the devil is in the details. Also from prior experience the operators of these packages tend to be small and fragile. I lost about CHF50 a few years ago when one of them went broke. Caveat emptor.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1400 posts
272 upvotes
Renous
46jimbo wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:37 pm
So how much would you be texting? I'm the person who wrote the review on Piranha Mobile earlier in the thread and I can tell you how it works for me.

https://piranha-mobile.com

The sim card is free. They mail it for $3.50. (All prices in US$)
You put credit into your account. You only pay when you use it. No monthly fees. Your credit lasts forever, as long as you make 1 call per year.
Texting costs 10 cents in U.S. and Ireland. 20 cents in France. Do the math. They will give you a Canadian number for 50 cents/month, if you wish.
bylo wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 8:12 am
In addition to Piranha there are many multi-country SIMs, each with their own rate structure, restrictions, quirks, etc. A good summary to start from is Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki-All countries and maybe also All countries2 if carrying a WiFi hotspot is an option. From what I can see the devil is in the details. Also from prior experience the operators of these packages tend to be small and fragile. I lost about CHF50 a few years ago when one of them went broke. Caveat emptor.
Thanks! I'll do some reading. The maths will determine which way I go I guess. I'm sure the wife will be texting the kids a LOT. At $0.20 a pop, we would hit $12 after 60 texts.. I think she texted 60 times since I started writing this... Neutral Face
Reserved for future time travellers
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3037 posts
1202 upvotes
Halifax
patpond wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 4:35 pm
Thanks! I'll do some reading. The maths will determine which way I go I guess. I'm sure the wife will be texting the kids a LOT. At $0.20 a pop, we would hit $12 after 60 texts.. I think she texted 60 times since I started writing this... Neutral Face
I do not know how much data the Text Now app texts use through data, but I would think it would be much cheaper than 20 cents a pop!