• Aug 15th, 2018 12:54 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1421 posts
972 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:46 pm
[...]If you have info, please post or send me a PM. Thanks! [...]
There is another cost effective alternative for USA and Mexico: for those (like me) who occasionally need 2-4 weeks of full service in the US (including 5-10GB of LTE data and unlimited calls to USA and Canada and Mexico): there are several ebay US sellers who sell discounted, preloaded T-Mobile SIM cards, pre-activated with T-Mobile $50/month plan (unlimited local/international text/calls, and 10GB of LTE data per month). Such SIM cards are sold for around USD$20-$25 (shipped free to an ameri-friend or to your hotel in the USA; shipping to Canada is available but it is stupidly expensive). The prepaid service loaded on these SIMs expires in 30 days from activation (you send an email to the seller the day before you need activation of the service). Extending the service for one additional month is expensive (another USD $50 or $60) and not worth it; for longer stays, it is better to buy another one of these $20 SIM cards ahead of time and activate the second SIM, with a new phone number, when the first SIM expires. Search on ebay.ca for: "preloaded T-MOBILE SIM MONTH FREE", here is an example:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Preloaded-Tmobi ... 3159794810

I used such a SIM last year in the USA and service was excellent in those areas with good T-Mobile coverage. Even after burning through 10GB of LTE data in less than two weeks (tethering for the entire family), there was still unlimited 2G data connection for the remainder of 30 days, slow but OK for Google maps and real-time navigation. Or, if you have data/minutes left at the end of your trip when you return to Canada, you can continue to use the remaining data/minutes in Canada until 30th day from activation. It also works in Mexico.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2086 posts
689 upvotes
Everywhere
ahoroba wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 9:41 am
There is another cost effective alternative for USA and Mexico: for those (like me) who occasionally need 2-4 weeks of full service in the US (including 5-10GB of LTE data and unlimited calls to USA and Canada and Mexico): there are several ebay US sellers who sell discounted, preloaded T-Mobile SIM cards, pre-activated with T-Mobile $50/month plan (unlimited local/international text/calls, and 10GB of LTE data per month). Such SIM cards are sold for around USD$20-$25 (shipped free to an ameri-friend or to your hotel in the USA; shipping to Canada is available but it is stupidly expensive). The prepaid service loaded on these SIMs expires in 30 days from activation (you send an email to the seller the day before you need activation of the service). Extending the service for one additional month is expensive (another USD $50 or $60) and not worth it; for longer stays, it is better to buy another one of these $20 SIM cards ahead of time and activate the second SIM, with a new phone number, when the first SIM expires. Search on ebay.ca for: "preloaded T-MOBILE SIM MONTH FREE", here is an example:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Preloaded-Tmobi ... 3159794810

I used such a SIM last year in the USA and service was excellent in those areas with good T-Mobile coverage. Even after burning through 10GB of LTE data in less than two weeks (tethering for the entire family), there was still unlimited 2G data connection for the remainder of 30 days, slow but OK for Google maps and real-time navigation. Or, if you have data/minutes left at the end of your trip when you return to Canada, you can continue to use the remaining data/minutes in Canada until 30th day from activation. It also works in Mexico.
I wonder how the seller makes money on this.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5390 posts
1134 upvotes
Markham
You're missing TMobile legacy prepaid.

I still have two active SIMs with $2/day unlimited call/text/data. I only get charged if I use it, so it sits on the shelf waiting to be used on trips to US.

Data speed and service is dependent on city for the most part.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2086 posts
689 upvotes
Everywhere
gr8dlr wrote:
May 8th, 2018 11:33 am
You're missing TMobile legacy prepaid.

I still have two active SIMs with $2/day unlimited call/text/data. I only get charged if I use it, so it sits on the shelf waiting to be used on trips to US.

Data speed and service is dependent on city for the most part.
Unless I am mistaken, they stopped offering this in 2015. It was replaced with $3/month 30 minutes/texts.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5390 posts
1134 upvotes
Markham
You can't get this plan now but those who had it, could continue to access it. I have two SIMs with the plan. I believe you may be able to even but SIMs on eBay with this plan.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2086 posts
689 upvotes
Everywhere
gr8dlr wrote:
May 8th, 2018 5:59 pm
You can't get this plan now but those who had it, could continue to access it. I have two SIMs with the plan. I believe you may be able to even but SIMs on eBay with this plan.
One would have to search and then if they find one, pay a premium for this plan. That's a lot of effort.

Don't you have to keep adding funds to avoid expiry?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5390 posts
1134 upvotes
Markham
batcave wrote:
May 9th, 2018 12:06 pm
One would have to search and then if they find one, pay a premium for this plan. That's a lot of effort.

Don't you have to keep adding funds to avoid expiry?
Yes you would have to search and find one. Have to add $10/90 days.
In the past, I've offered it to people to borrow. Leave me a deposit for value of SIM + $20 and I return value of SIM left + $20 when I get my SIM back.

That Tmobile plan was likely the best out there at the time...which is why they got rid of it. They did allow those who were on it to continue however.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2086 posts
689 upvotes
Everywhere
rolomonster wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 1:00 pm
Any suggestions for travel in Europe? Specifically Portugal?

Best I have found so far is Vodafone: https://www.vodafone.pt/main/visitingportugal/index
Three.co.uk
SIMs on eBay, cheap and ships very quickly. SIM can be activated in Canada - no need to step foot in the UK.
Roaming in: EU + Israel + USA + Australia + Singapore + Hong Kong + a bunch of Central/South America Countries
£10.00 1GB
£15.00 5GB
£20.00 12GB

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/
Oct 27, 2009
135 posts
47 upvotes
Hamilton
I'll be travelling a couple of weeks in Florida. My provider sucks as fast as roaming plans. I'm wondering if there's cheap plans to for a couple weeks use, probably just text and calls would do. Although some data would be good of its cheap enough. I live near the border so I could pick up sim ahead of tim if need be. Anybody have some suggestions?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2311 posts
1222 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
US Walmart has Tracfone which are like burner phones for them.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
10374 posts
1439 upvotes
Just get a roammobility sim card

2.95 for text
3.95 for text and calling

per day
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping