[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
redboy69 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 2:23 pm
You're right, it is 200mb for the free. I just meant the total now is 250mb. The base 200 plus the 50 for friends.

All my accounts that just started the new billing cycle only have 250mb and the phones running on Sprint CDMA only have 550 now instead of 1gb. :(
Oh wow, that does suck. Did you get multiple accounts to get the extra free data?

I've got 250mb but I do have one friend that happens to be with freedompop. It's still not bad for free.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1297 posts
2699 upvotes
Pawtucket
batcave wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 2:31 pm
Oh wow, that does suck. Did you get multiple accounts to get the extra free data?

I've got 250mb but I do have one friend that happens to be with freedompop. It's still not bad for free.
I have a bunch of accounts and a bunch of friends from the Slickdeals FP friends page so I will always max out on the free friends data. The new cap of 50mb total really renders this service almost useless considering they may cut you off within 100mb of the limit if you disable the auto topup. I will still use it for my day trips down south and can carry a few sim cards so I won't have issues.
Anything longer, will require the other options you laid out so nicely in the op.

freedompop-us-us-only-sim-free-talk-tex ... e-2056087/
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8428 posts
1828 upvotes
redboy69 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 3:04 pm
I have a bunch of accounts and a bunch of friends from the Slickdeals FP friends page so I will always max out on the free friends data. The new cap of 50mb total really renders this service almost useless considering they may cut you off within 100mb of the limit if you disable the auto topup. I will still use it for my day trips down south and can carry a few sim cards so I won't have issues.
Anything longer, will require the other options you laid out so nicely in the op.

freedompop-us-us-only-sim-free-talk-tex ... e-2056087/
So what happened? I just traveled to US, and noticed that my account was de-activated. Had to re-activate and in the end the SIM started working, but I noticed it's down to 200mb. I used to have 700mb from referrals, but nowhere to be seen. Did they took that away? Haven't used this SIM for about 2 years, so I guess stuff might've changed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 5:05 am
So what happened? I just traveled to US, and noticed that my account was de-activated. Had to re-activate and in the end the SIM started working, but I noticed it's down to 200mb. I used to have 700mb from referrals, but nowhere to be seen. Did they took that away? Haven't used this SIM for about 2 years, so I guess stuff might've changed.
You probably needed to use it periodically to keep the account active. But that is a moot point now.

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discus ... inactivity
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
Right here, roaming-sims-travelers-2183565/

I recommend TMobile. They have a three week unlimited talk/text/2GB data plan for $30. This only works in the US ( I think).

The real winner is everything else. If you only need data, 2GB can be had for $20 ($10 for the SIM and $10 for the service for a month). This includes roaming in Canada and Mexico!
May 9, 2006
594 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
batcave wrote:
Jul 8th, 2018 2:07 pm
T-Mobile prepaid data plans have been reduced by $10 each.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Data Plans
$10 2GB
$25 6GB
$40 10GB
$55 14GB
$70 18GB
$85 22GB
can I buy this in Canada or I would have to buy the sim in US? I am leaving on Monday so I guess I don't have time for a sim card delivery, anyone has any idea?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
djjungly wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 1:59 pm
can I buy this in Canada or I would have to buy the sim in US? I am leaving on Monday so I guess I don't have time for a sim card delivery, anyone has any idea?
Not in any retail shop in Canada. I know one Canadian eBay seller that sells them. T-Mobile only ships to the US.

A T-Mobile store is you best option.
Feb 25, 2003
266 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
I have used Roam Mobility every time I travel to the US for a few days.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1453 posts
188 upvotes
I'd recommend freedompop. I've used it on a few visits for the US and it was pretty good for the price of $ 0/month.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
vancitydude wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 2:18 pm
I have used Roam Mobility every time I travel to the US for a few days.
Ditto. The SIM ony expires after one year of non-use.
RM is great for data or even 1-2 days trip
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Mar 11, 2011
642 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I have a new offering to bring to your consideration: Piranha Mobile, a UK outfit. They have been around for a number of years, and after some problems with their partners over the past half year, they have relaunched their service with a new SIM card. The SIM is free and they charge $3.50 for delivery. Here is why I like it.

- It works worldwide with rates that are usually much better than KnowRoaming.
- You put credit into your account (min. $20) and it lasts 420 days. None of this weekly or monthly stuff.
- In the U.S. they use AT&T. Rates are 10 cents/min. for outgoing call, incoming call is free, text is 10 cents and data is 3 cents/mb
- You get a UK number for free. A U.S. or Canadian number costs 50 cents/month.
- You keep your unused credit to use on your next trip.

One downside is that it is 3G only.
Also, the rate calculator on the website doesn't seem to work well with certain browsers. (You change the country but the rates don't change from the previous selection.) I had problems using Chrome but Opera worked well. Worked fine on my tablet too.

https://www.piranha-mobile.com/