Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
Momoo1 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 11:29 pm
Any option for china?
Lots. What are your requirements? Did you read the first post?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
46jimbo wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 8:51 pm
I have a new offering to bring to your consideration: Piranha Mobile, a UK outfit. They have been around for a number of years, and after some problems with their partners over the past half year, they have relaunched their service with a new SIM card. The SIM is free and they charge $3.50 for delivery. Here is why I like it.

- It works worldwide with rates that are usually much better than KnowRoaming.
- You put credit into your account (min. $20) and it lasts 420 days. None of this weekly or monthly stuff.
- In the U.S. they use AT&T. Rates are 10 cents/min. for outgoing call, incoming call is free, text is 10 cents and data is 3 cents/mb
- You get a UK number for free. A U.S. or Canadian number costs 50 cents/month.
- You keep your unused credit to use on your next trip.

One downside is that it is 3G only.
Also, the rate calculator on the website doesn't seem to work well with certain browsers. (You change the country but the rates don't change from the previous selection.) I had problems using Chrome but Opera worked well. Worked fine on my tablet too.

https://www.piranha-mobile.com/
Have you used this service? It's good to know if folks have used the service before. Seems pretty expensive for data - $30+ per GB (multiply mb x 1000 to get price per GB). In US and Asia it is about $5/GB and it is full speed. Most people can get away with only data because it's just for maps and surfing. Calling isn't that useful anymore because of WeChat and WhatsApp type services.
Jan 1, 2018
104 posts
16 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 2:13 am
Lots. What are your requirements? Did you read the first post?
I read all the posts. I am looking for a sim that will give me data for mainland China.
Mar 11, 2011
642 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 2:20 am
Have you used this service? It's good to know if folks have used the service before. Seems pretty expensive for data - $30+ per GB (multiply mb x 1000 to get price per GB). In US and Asia it is about $5/GB and it is full speed. Most people can get away with only data because it's just for maps and surfing. Calling isn't that useful anymore because of WeChat and WhatsApp type services.
I have used Piranha for several years with mostly good results and it suited my needs. I haven't used it since their reboot. In fact, they just shipped the replacement sim last week. But I'm taking an overseas trip in September, so I'll be able to test it out.

You have to figure out what your needs are with a travel sim and find a package that suits your requirements. I'm retired and I take several international trips a year. Piranha provides me with a permanent Canadian number that makes it cheaper for anyone who needs to contact me. For several years, I had to be reachable because of a loved-one's health issues, so the number served mostly as an emergency line. Incoming texts are free too. Wifi is everywhere now - in your hotel, in cafes, etc. So the need for a data connection is only for the times when I'm out of wifi range. A quick web search, check a message. For maps, I use offline ones like OsmAnd or Maps.me which don't require data. So I just need something to make and receive the odd call and use small amounts of data. And I don't want to lose my credit either. Piranha credit doesn't expire and $20 can last me a couple of years. Just make a phone call every year and your account stays alive.

From your list of services at the beginning of this thread I learned about TravelChat. I thought this could be useful so I ordered one. I thought of a situation where you become separated from your traveling companion in a large foreign city. This would be a handy way to keep refind each other for a ridiculously low price. So I'm going to set up my dual-sim phone for this upcoming trip with Piranha in one slot and TravelChat in the other. I'll give a report when I get back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
46jimbo wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 10:37 am
I have used Piranha for several years with mostly good results and it suited my needs. I haven't used it since their reboot. In fact, they just shipped the replacement sim last week. But I'm taking an overseas trip in September, so I'll be able to test it out.

You have to figure out what your needs are with a travel sim and find a package that suits your requirements. I'm retired and I take several international trips a year. Piranha provides me with a permanent Canadian number that makes it cheaper for anyone who needs to contact me. For several years, I had to be reachable because of a loved-one's health issues, so the number served mostly as an emergency line. Incoming texts are free too. Wifi is everywhere now - in your hotel, in cafes, etc. So the need for a data connection is only for the times when I'm out of wifi range. A quick web search, check a message. For maps, I use offline ones like OsmAnd or Maps.me which don't require data. So I just need something to make and receive the odd call and use small amounts of data. And I don't want to lose my credit either. Piranha credit doesn't expire and $20 can last me a couple of years. Just make a phone call every year and your account stays alive.

From your list of services at the beginning of this thread I learned about TravelChat. I thought this could be useful so I ordered one. I thought of a situation where you become separated from your traveling companion in a large foreign city. This would be a handy way to keep refind each other for a ridiculously low price. So I'm going to set up my dual-sim phone for this upcoming trip with Piranha in one slot and TravelChat in the other. I'll give a report when I get back.
Thanks. I'm in the same boat as you. But I think we travel to different places. However, I love data because it easier than looking for wifi. I have a Singapore SIM that roams. It covers Asia and North America and the UK. I used to use a Spanish SIM in Europe. That covers most of the world for me for $5/GB of data.

I'll add it to the list. Please let us know. Bon voyage!
Last edited by batcave on Aug 15th, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
Momoo1 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 9:54 am
I read all the posts. I am looking for a sim that will give me data for mainland China.
If you are flying directly to Mainland China, any local SIM will be best for data. Rates are always very good compared to Canada. However, you will be faced with the Great Firewall so you will need to have a VPN installed on your phone (before you arrive) if you want to access Google or most western news sources.

If you are flying in through HK, get a HK SIM that roams in Mainland China. It will bypass the firewall and your phone will work as usual. You can also get these HK SIM cards on Amazon, but I've never purchased one from there.

There are some other SIM cards in the list that roam in China that work very well. I use Starhub from Singapore and it works for me all over Asia, North America and the UK.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1438 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Any ideas for the Caribbean for island hopping, aside from KnowRoaming?
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp / Foupon
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Platinum / Drop / GCR / Ebates / Paytm
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1438 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 3:36 pm
Check out pirhana mobile in the Global Sim section in the first post.

I also just stumbled across this,

https://www.skyroam.com/

edit, google is your friend, https://personal.iroam.com/data-sim-caribbean.aspx
Thanks, I was hoping anyone had experience with a plan that was both LTE and reasonably priced. Piranha is 3G only and iRoam charges $1 per MB.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp / Foupon
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Platinum / Drop / GCR / Ebates / Paytm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
quanta wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 9:55 pm
Thanks, I was hoping anyone had experience with a plan that was both LTE and reasonably priced. Piranha is 3G only and iRoam charges $1 per MB.
Yeah, you pay for convenience with these multi country SIM cards. If you want rock-bottom prices, buy one in each country or find a country that has roaming rates between the islands. I don't think you will find what you are looking for in these global SIM cards.

Start with the first island you land at and check operators and rates. Maybe you can become the expert for the Caribbean and let us know!
Apr 20, 2015
274 posts
39 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Used Roam Mobility for my recent trip to Cali, signal was very good on both my Essential Phone and wife's Pixel 2 XL. We took the 2 GB Data plan - $30 plus tax and the 2 SIM cards

Will be keeping the numbers active by topping up one a year

thanks for all the help in this thread
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1438 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 10:14 pm
Yeah, you pay for convenience with these multi country SIM cards. If you want rock-bottom prices, buy one in each country or find a country that has roaming rates between the islands. I don't think you will find what you are looking for in these global SIM cards.

Start with the first island you land at and check operators and rates. Maybe you can become the expert for the Caribbean and let us know!
I think I found a possible solution for Caribbean country hopping (i.e. visiting islands on a cruise). I would say the pricing is reasonable relative to having to buy local SIMs:

Flexiroam

Starter Packs (Data only; 4G LTE. includes the SIM sticker called the "X Microchip". They do not offer a SIM card.)
US$30 1GB data valid for 90 days.
US$60 2GB data valid for 100 days.
US$80 3GB data valid for 150 days.
US$130 5GB data valid for 180 days.
US$200 7GB data valid for 350 days.

You can top up at a minimum of $6 USD for 100MB / 10 days.

https://www.flexiroam.com/pricing

Note: If you are visiting USVI or Puerto Rico, you may be better off using a US roaming plan. If you are visiting Guadeloupe, Martinique or other European overseas territory, you may be better off using a EU roaming plan.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6301 posts
1091 upvotes
Need a data plan for 7 days in Mexico, going by the first post the options are T-mobile and Mexicos telcel.com but can't seem to find the t-mobile plan. Any other recommendations?
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
blexann wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 11:56 am
Need a data plan for 7 days in Mexico, going by the first post the options are T-mobile and Mexicos telcel.com but can't seem to find the t-mobile plan. Any other recommendations?
Links were broken. I fixed them. Here they are,

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/
https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid/ma ... d-internet

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

wartune123