Mar 25, 2003
12894 posts
2341 upvotes
Markham
Op Should add info / options for people travelling to Canada

Here is one I know https://www.similicious.com/pages/canad ... -sim-cards
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Mar 10, 2018
783 posts
32 upvotes
I just received giffgaf sim card. Ordered online from their web site and arrived here in 4 days. My parcels from Canada dont eve come in 4 days.
Activated online and its working. Funny thing is I can use it in USA in their pay per use 30 day plan. no roaming charges. But can not use in Canada like that.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
Keigotw wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 12:12 am
Op Should add info / options for people travelling to Canada

Here is one I know https://www.similicious.com/pages/canad ... -sim-cards
Is this just Chatr, a Rogers company? Why is it so expensive? $50/1GB? Isn't it cheaper just to go to Chatr and pay the regular rate? Have you recommend this to a friend visiting?

Seems like a visitor would be better off getting roaming service from their own country than to use this.

I have a SIM card from Singapore and I can roam on Rogers in Canada with 4G speed for $5/GB.

Edit: Speakout from 7-Eleven is better imho, https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/plans/
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3439 posts
866 upvotes
Ottawa
Thank you so much batcave, what an informative thread!. It seems be when travelling to the US for a week or two that T-Mobile $10 2GB prepaid plan is the best way to go if only needing data?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
shadow_cruiser wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 9:14 am
Thank you so much batcave, what an informative thread!. It seems be when travelling to the US for a week or two that T-Mobile $10 2GB prepaid plan is the best way to go if only needing data?
Thanks, you're welcome! If you only need data, that is probably the cheapest. It also works in Canada! Winking Face

You might need to give them a US address because I've heard of some people that do not getting setup with the data passes which are $10/GB.
Mar 11, 2011
642 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Just back from a trip to the Caucasus (Georgia and Armenia) and I'd like to report on how my travel sims worked. In a word, perfectly. This was my first trip abroad with this setup.

I have a dual sim phone that I use only for travel. In one slot, I use a TravelChat sim. This allows me unlimited use of services like Whatsapp and Messenger over data for the crazy price of about $1/month. You are limited to text only, but once back in a wifi zone, you can send pics, etc. or talk. Connections were instantaneous upon arrival, also in German and Austrian airports. My only beef is that the card was delivered to me by FedEx, who later billed me $15 for their customs brokerage fees. Grr.

My other sim slot was for a regular voice service. In my case, the company is called Piranha (mentioned earlier in the thread. Again, connections were solid. I don't phone much while traveling, so it's really for emergencies. The rates vary for each country, so you should check out what they will charge on their website.

The good:
- No monthly fees. Your credit lasts 420 days and is kept alive by a single phone call within that period. This suits me well as the phone sits in a drawer for months at a time, but my sim card stays 'alive'.

- For many countries (USA and Europe), incoming calls are free.

The less good:
- By default, you are given a UK number. But it isn't a true UK number. (I learned this on Howards Forums.) It is actually based in Jersey and calls to it are extremely expensive. I use an internet phone at home where I am normally charged 2 cents/min. to call the UK. But for a call to my Piranha number, I was billed 46 cents! So anyone calling you is going to pay a hefty price. Fortunately, there is a solution. They offer a Canadian number for only 50 cents/month. 6 bucks a year. Much cheaper for family and friends to phone you.

I'm happy with my setup. Being able to work around the Jersey phone glitch makes it good for my purposes. I realize that most of this thread is about finding cheap data only, so it may not work for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1213 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
Went down to the Jay Peak area in Vermont and Mount Washington area in New Hamsphire in the US.

Loaded money into one Roam Mobility SIM card for their talk+text+data plan and I also had some promotional data left over on my GlocalMe U2 device (https://www.amazon.ca/U2-Countries-Feat ... B01N4HQJB1).

Because both areas are kind of rural, Roam Mobility failed to connect almost 80% of the time unless I was in the populated areas (summit buildings, hotels)... The GlocalMe connection was solid most of the time -- it would drop during random parts of the interstate but that was expected.

Overall, I'm not even sure I should've used Roam because of how spotty the connection was... The GlocalMe data top-ups are pretty expensive so thankfully I was using a data bucket I already had before.
I've used Roam in the past for trips to more metropolitan areas, but YMMV with rural areas.
Aug 30, 2012
90 posts
29 upvotes
sim for Mexico : telcel https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefon ... o/paquetes#
Got mine when I traveled to Mexico and had seller set it up and register it.You can also register the phone numbers on Telcel website and receive a confirmation text showing registration allowed.
The Telcel sims can remain without funds for up to a year, and still save the number. The beauty of this sim is you can use a Canadian credit card to top up in Mexico or in Canada(without the fees that third party service would charge).It works using the Canadian Postal Code to US ZIP code algorithm. Strip out the letters and add "00". R7C 5K2 = 75200 or the fallback is 00000.Can use Amigo Friend without Limit, a prepaid service. Eg, 150 pesos($10.30 Canadian) lasts 28 days. Unlimited calling US Can and Mex, 1000 mb browsing data, almost unlimited Whatsapp Facebook, Twitter. Roaming for free. Different packages are available.You can use it in Canada (and probably US) but may be blocked from overuse and sim would have to be reactivated by visiting store in Mexico. There are some sold on ebay but I have not used a sim bought from ebay.
Aug 31, 2001
250 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
elwebmaster wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 11:24 pm
Use a 3rd party refilling solution. For example, I think QuickBT+Bitrefill works well if you want to pay with Interac online. There is also this, which I haven't tried: https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/three .
Hey for Three.co.uk, anybody have any updates on how to pay for the 1 month deal? This seems like a good option for Australia, Asia for long duration. 22 Pounds for 30gig of 4G data and Binge Free??

Ding.com
QuickBT+Bitrefill
Mobiletopup.
Mar 10, 2018
783 posts
32 upvotes
where can I get china SIM card in Toronto? How much it costs? Something like 3 GB data for European card at £10?
Mar 10, 2018
783 posts
32 upvotes
diav wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:46 am
I think it might be easier to pick up a China sim when you land in China? I'm not sure if retailers in Toronto sell them.
https://startuplivingchina.com/whats-be ... -sim-card/
November end. China Visa is ready. All I want access to my banking and investments. May be buy SIM in china will be better.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1213 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:50 am
November end. China Visa is ready. All I want access to my banking and investments. May be buy SIM in china will be better.
Yeah, I think getting the SIM in China is better.
Also don't forget to have a VPN service on your phone and computer because some websites are blocked in China. https://mashable.com/roundup/best-vpns- ... oQKv.vgqq6

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

wartune123