Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2656 posts
1048 upvotes
Everywhere
callernamet wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:59 am
Thanks for the tip.
PSA, a HK SIM card, or any SIM that roams in mainland China bypasses the great firewall and a VPN is not necessary. You can often buy these SIM cards on Amazon or Ebay. Make sure you can activate them from mainland China though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9030 posts
938 upvotes
Sorry for asking but is there a SIM card or data plan/card that I can use while traveling in Buenos Aires/Argentina?

I would need it to work with iphone 6 or Google Pixel 1
Dec 25, 2012
423 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
What is the best sim for travel in australia? Would I need to buy the sim card here? Samsung a8
JS
Jun 27, 2017
231 posts
335 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Could anyone suggest data hungry roaming sim? I used Roam Mobility last week for my trip San Jose San Fran after using up the 512mb data after that is a gong show could not use the carrier anymore. Are there any good prepaid data plans like Roam Mobility where the users pay by the day?

Asking for NA carrier.

Thanks in advance
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2656 posts
1048 upvotes
Everywhere
James Stonehenge wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 8:09 pm
What is the best sim for travel in australia? Would I need to buy the sim card here? Samsung a8
Any one of the Australian carriers are pretty cheap compared to Canadian ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2656 posts
1048 upvotes
Everywhere
cheecheese wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 10:52 am
Could anyone suggest data hungry roaming sim? I used Roam Mobility last week for my trip San Jose San Fran after using up the 512mb data after that is a gong show could not use the carrier anymore. Are there any good prepaid data plans like Roam Mobility where the users pay by the day?

Asking for NA carrier.

Thanks in advance
AT&T has a $2.00/day plan (charged only on days you use it). This is talk and text only. However, this allows you to buy data passes, 100MB for $1. Otherwise, the pay-per-use data rate is 1¢ per 5KB. I'm not sure if you can buy more than one 100MB per day though. You might want to call AT&T Prepaid to find out.

TMobile has something similar, but the monthly charge is $3 (always charged) for 50 minutes and/or texts. Data is about $10 for 1GB and is valid for seven days.

This is US data only. If you want North America data, you will have to move up to one of the monthly prepaid plans.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14335 posts
6715 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cheecheese wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 10:52 am
Could you not top up Roam, e.g. CA$30 for another 2GB for 30 days?

There's also KnowRoaming. Haven't used them. IIRC they roam on AT&T.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Jun 27, 2017
231 posts
335 upvotes
Surrey, BC
bylo wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 10:55 pm
Could you not top up Roam, e.g. CA$30 for another 2GB for 30 days?

There's also KnowRoaming. Haven't used them. IIRC they roam on AT&T.
I could topup for Roam but I will be tethering for friends or family, 2gb might not be enough. I want to see if there is a plan that is like bang for the buck.

I'll look into KnowRoaming and see is it worth.

Thanks for the help
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
3913 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
elwebmaster wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 12:27 am
Three.co.uk (SIMs on eBay, cheap and ships very quickly)
Roaming in: EU + Israel + USA + Australia + Singapore + Hong Kong + a bunch of Central/South America Countries (http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/)
£10.00 1GB
£15.00 5GB
£20.00 12GB

SIM can be activated in Canada (no need to step foot in the UK).
£15.00 1GB now.
http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
But £16.00 gives you 4GB
It seems that the plan comes with the sim.
Why you need to order from ebay?
I am looking to sign up for the service.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14335 posts
6715 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 11:28 am
£15.00 1GB now.
http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
But £16.00 gives you 4GB
It seems that the plan comes with the sim.
Why you need to order from ebay?
I am looking to sign up for the service.
I'm looking for something similar. I'd like a prepaid SIM with data plan that's good for a year and roams across the EU. I travel to Europe 2 or 3 times a year so having a SIM that works when I land is a real benefit compared to the hassle of buying a 30-day SIM and waiting for it to activate every trip. Something I can buy before arriving in Europe, perhaps on eBay, and that I can top up online would be ideal.

Three offers this for £40/12GB, however I'm concerned that if Brexit happens, EU-wide roaming may not survive on UK SIMs. Prepaid SIMs that can last 12 months seem to be rare in the EU. I'm currently paying €20 for 6 months on Austria's a1.net but that has limited roaming. Three (Drei) sells prepaid SIMs in Austria but they expire after 30 days and most tariffs don't roam.

Is there anything better out there?
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1161 posts
60 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 3:41 pm
I'm looking for something similar. I'd like a prepaid SIM with data plan that's good for a year and roams across the EU. I travel to Europe 2 or 3 times a year so having a SIM that works when I land is a real benefit compared to the hassle of buying a 30-day SIM and waiting for it to activate every trip. Something I can buy before arriving in Europe, perhaps on eBay, and that I can top up online would be ideal.

Three offers this for £40/12GB, however I'm concerned that if Brexit happens, EU-wide roaming may not survive on UK SIMs. Prepaid SIMs that can last 12 months seem to be rare in the EU. I'm currently paying €20 for 6 months on Austria's a1.net but that has limited roaming. Three (Drei) sells prepaid SIMs in Austria but they expire after 30 days and most tariffs don't roam.

Is there anything better out there?
I used this one. They sent SIM here in Canada. activated here with PayPal. used in Europe for 3 weeks. Still works in Canada.
Make sure you stop/disable PayPal auto payment. Only Swiss was problem, or will be charged. check the countries you want to visit having free coverage.
Auto top up OFF
https://www.giffgaff.com/freesim-international
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14335 posts
6715 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
callernamet wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 7:08 am
Only Swiss was problem
Switzerland isn't part of the EU and doesn't participate in EU-wide free roaming. The UK post-Brexit may be next.
Thanks.
Make sure you stop/disable PayPal auto payment.
What happens to the account if you leave auto-pay disabled for a few months? Do they cancel it or merely leave it suspended?
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
1161 posts
60 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 7:35 am
Switzerland isn't part of the EU and doesn't participate in EU-wide free roaming. The UK post-Brexit may be next.

Thanks.

What happens to the account if you leave auto-pay disabled for a few months? Do they cancel it or merely leave it suspended?
let me check my account.

OK here it is.
To extend your free giffgaff to giffgaff calls and texts for another three months, top up before 24 JAN 2019
so looks like you pay at least £10 every three months to keep it active. edit: at least six month from replies below.

Another thing .three.co.uk has Swiss free roaming. But better check with their web site to be sure.

add

from their web site or forum.
In order to keep your SIM / account active, you need to
do at least one of the following every 6 months...

Make a least one call, SMS or MMS to another number
(for technical reasons, emergency calls like 999/112 & SMS/
calls to giffgaff services (i.e. 2020, 43430) do not apply).

Make at least one connection to the internet.

Receive at least 4 calls of more than 10 seconds

Make a least one topup/purchase (credit or goodybag)
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help- ... p/16266739
Hi Waving Hand Sign

terms have been changed recently see below

Our rights to bar or disconnect your SIM Card
13.3. Your SIM Card will be disconnected unless, at least once every six months, your Account is used to:
a) make at least one call, SMS or MMS to another number (not including calls to emergency services or Member Services);
b) make at least one connection to the Internet;
c) make at least one airtime credit or Bundle purchase
13.4. If your SIM Card is disconnected, you will lose any remaining credit or Bundle balance on your Account. giffgaff recycles numbers and we will not be able to reconnect once a number is disconnected and recycled. giffgaff may reconnect you if any disconnection was due to our negligence.

Simply topup £10 every 6 months, make couple of uk calls or textsThumbs Up Sign
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14335 posts
6715 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Thanks again.

That seems reasonable and as you say, roaming can be done from Canada. The forum post you quoted suggests that one has to do ALL of (a), (b) and (c). But subsequent posts on that thread say that a single text every 6 months (30p from Canada) will be enough. If so then that's about $1/year to keep the SIM alive. (Hint: set up a recurring reminder in Google Calendar for every 5 months.)

They have Fair Use policies while roaming that may impact usage when travelling primarily outside the UK. Still, as long as it roams in an EU country, even if only slowly or only for a small amount of data, that will be good enough until I can get a local SIM for that trip.

BTW a better link for people to start with is the mainpage https://www.giffgaff.com/ since it provides links to all the terms and FAQs, etc. that aren't visible on the .../freesim-international page.

Added [from GG's FAQ (my bold)]:
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Feb 28, 2015
393 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used my Roam Mobility Sim for a recent trip to Syracuse. It was pretty much useless 80% of the time, from the Ivy Ley Bridge on. Worked in Fort Drum, Watertown, and occasionally in Syracuse.
Last edited by skoalman123 on Dec 24th, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.